New WRT54G firmware

Linksys has posted a new firmware for the WRT54G.
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/WRT54GV2_2.04.3_US_code.exe

One interesting feature is "AP isolation" which "creates a separate virtual
network for your wireless network. When this feature is enabled, each of
your wireless client will be in its own virtual network and will not be able
to communicate with each other. You may want to utilize this feature if you
have many guests that frequent your wireless network." I wonder if this
also isolates the wired from the wireless side. It is also now possible to
save a backup configuration, to turn off the wireless part of the router,
and to configure QoS. As for QoS, it appears to be limited to two MAC
addresses (device priority), the four ethernet ports (port priority) and 8
applications (application priority; 5 of these are preset).

-Yves

Yves,

Did you ever find out whether this AP isolation isolates the wired
from the wireless segment? On enterprise routers, like the Cisco 2600
series, you can do all sorts of tricks like this using ACLs-Acess
Control Lists. Similar stuff would be nice for the low-end wireless
models but I haven't found one that does this yet.

Justin

--
netjustin

No, I have not yet checked as I have not yet had any need for that. I
believe that the function is supposed to isolate individual wireless clients
from one another (so that people using the same hotspot cannot break into
each other's computers). It would be nice if it would also isolate them
from the wired LAN but I'm not sure that it does that.

-Yves