mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
I sold my old PC to a friend: Abit BE6-II. A few weeks ago, he saw a new BIOs in ABIT site and he decided to flash the BIOs. Without reading the README file, he did it in Windows. This corrupted the BIOS and now when he tries to flash it the right way, through DOS, it always gives him an error message and would not continue.

What can he do?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Try a program called Uniflash...Warning, you can flash nearly any BIOS to nearly any board with it though, make sure you have the right one, there were 2 versions of the BE6-II, with two different HPT hard drive controller chips.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
Thanks for your suggestion.
I did download UNIFLASH earlier today. There is a MS Word document stating what is UNIFLASH but I do not see any instruction how to use it. Can you help?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you simply extract it and put the executable on a bootable floppy, along with the BIOS file, then run it.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

mis3

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
Sorry again. Because of the previous mistake, I want to be absolutely clear on the procedure.

1. Make a bootable diskette.
2. Extract Uniflash.exe onto this bootable diskette.
3. Copy the montherboard BIOS to this diskette.
4. Reboot with this bootable diskette.

Then what? Should I run the extracted Uniflash.exe? Let's say the BIOS file is called ABC, should I do "Uniflash ABC"?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If Crashman's tip doesn't work you can get a BIOS replacement chip direct from Abit.

from <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm" target="_new">Paul's Unofficial Abit KT7 FAQ</A>

<i>In the US, contact ABIT Computer (USA) Corporation, 46808 Lakeview Blvd., Fremont, California 94538, USA, sales@abit-usa.com, technical@abit-usa.com, Tel: 1-510-623-0500, Fax: 1-510-623-1092. To get the BIOS via ground delivery it's $17 C.O.D. (cash on delivery), 2-day air is $23 C.O.D., and next day air is $29 C.O.D. Alternatively, simply send Abit a check and brief letter with mobo type (ex: KT7-RAID), desired BIOS (ex: YH), your phone number and mailing address. For non-COD service: $12 normal mail, $14 priority mail. Apparently this is aall they ask you to do when you ring anyway!</i>

I used this tip to get a replacement for my Abit KT7 back in December. It took about 10 days using ordinary US Post.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>