Need true motherboard expert to reconnect mobo

ChemMan

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
I've got an old gateway system that has an odd method of making the front panel connections. To make a long story short, when I upgraded I initally used the gateway case instead of buying a new one. The front panel connections (i.e. hdd led, no/off switch, power led) are made using an 8*2 header right next to the ide ports on the mobo (it's a tabor 3 using the intel bx chipset). The new mobo did not connect this way so I (brilliantly, I might add:confused; ) cut off the 8*2 connector and threw it away. Now that the old parts are back in the original case, I need to reconnect the unlabeled wires to the unlabeled pins. A quick check at gateway's site yielded many good links, but these two are most important:

<A HREF="http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/m00264/M0026422.shtml" target="_new">Close up of 8*2 header</A>

<A HREF="http://support.gateway.com/s/cases/shared/8001996/b0199603.htm" target="_new">List of signals for each pin</A>

I e-mailed gateway tech support to see if they could give me some better information than this and was told that this is the only data that exists. Could someone take a look at that second list and help me reconnect everything. I want to be sure of what I'm doing before I make a bad connection and cook the whole damn thing.

Here is what I have to reconnect:

HDD led with a red(+) and black wire(-)

A power switch with a white and black wire

A combo power(green) and suspend(amber) led with a black wire(+) an orange wire(-) and a green(-) wire. The green wire powers the green led and the orange wire powers the orange led(imagine that!;)). The black wire is a common postive for both leds.

Thanks

Athlon XP 1600+
Abit KT7A v1.1
256megs RAM
Geforce 2 Pro 32meg
Philips Acoustic Edge

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hahaha...really? Hahaha, that's a hoot! OK, probably the easiest way is to pull the front panal off and follow the wires to their source. Really!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

ChemMan

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Umm... After reading my post, wouldn't you say I've already done that. When I installed the new mobo in the old case I had to check all the wires, and determine the correct polarity so that the LEDs would work. In case you didn't know, LED stands for light emitting diode. A diode is a device which allows current to flow through it only in one direction. So basically what I have is the leads of the hdd LED, the on/off switch, and the power/suspend LED labeled with polarity, etc. I also have a motherboard with a 2*8 header and a website with some very crytic information. Now, how do I put the two together??? The question is not that hard, if you have an answer or information please post, if not, move on.

Athlon XP 1600+
Abit KT7A v1.1
256megs RAM
Geforce 2 Pro 32meg
Philips Acoustic Edge

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your not going to fry your motherboard the worst you could do is blow out one of the led's in your case. Based on the link you provided this is what I came up with.

hdd led 1-3 pin 1+
power on switch 5-6 pin 6+
reset 7-8 pin 7+
power led 9-13 pin 9+ ( there is a gap or blank on this connector )

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I initally used the gateway case instead of buying a new one.
In the time you just wasted, because of the above attempt at saving a few dollars, you could have mowed a couple of lawns or washed some cars to earn the money for a new case.

Oh Lord, you give them eyes but they cannot see.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

ChemMan

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Thank you, ncogneto, for your helpful information. I've posted at multiple sites and you are the only person to respond with a helpful reply.

Black_Cat: Gee, thanks for the advice. Of course the only way your advice is worth a damn is if you invent a time machine and go back about a year and a half and tell me then.

Athlon XP 1600+
Abit KT7A v1.1
256megs RAM
Geforce 2 Pro 32meg
Philips Acoustic Edge

mickrick

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I did the same thing with a Compaq pc for my daughters. Only I rmoved the wires, pins 'n'all, from the Compaq header and just connected them what I thought I was the right way and switched them around when it didn't work out.

After a bit of fiddling about, I got all the led's, power switch etc working correctly.

The only thing that was rendered redundant was the 2 front usb ports. And seeing as how they have no usb devices that's no problem.

So now they have a Celery 600 overclocked to 750mhz, 128Mb of pc100 SDRAM, 40Gb hdd, Yamaha 8424S cdrw, Riva tnt2 graphics, broadband internet via lan. They're 11 and 6 respectively, do you think this is a bit of overkill?

Oh and the whole system was made up of salvaged parts from old pc's at work (I'm a programmer\technician)and never cost a penny.

Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in!