I realy would appreciate some help,mobo related?

bobKrub

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Hello to everyone, I do come to this site regularly, and I do read these forums. I’m sorry if my first post was just one asking for help, but I really need some answers.

Here is the problem; When I’m playing a game (max Payne or gta3 I believe are the only ones that have had problems so far...maybe morrowind I cant remember, but these are the only games I ve had problems with),my computer just completely shuts off, no warning or anything, randomly, all of the sudden. It just shuts off, blam, like the plug was pulled. I can’t restart for a few seconds, and I have to turn the power on the back of the computer case (switch it off and on). This has happened about 3 times within the past couple of weeks. I’m really concerned that it may fry something, and it’s also a big annoyance when playing games. What could the problem be? A faulty psu? I don’t know. I recently replaced my mobo (somehow it fried the memory socket and the memory in it), and now since I got this new one this problem has arrose. What could be happening? It doesn’t do this while im just running some other applications or even other games (I played allot of other games for about 8 hours yesterday, nonstop at a LAN party). I'm stumped.

Here are my specs:
Athlon xp 1900
512 mb ddr
80 gb hdd
Via chipset kt266a mobo
geforce 3 ti500

I just thought of something...could it possibly be the ram? I think i have two different brands, both of them sticks of 256 ddr, but different manufactures. Could this be the problem? But then why would it only effecty thoise few games?Hmm, i need help, please.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Games really stress the memory and other componets so if the ram sticks are a different brand,
that could cause your problems. Heat could also be your problem. What is the brand and model of
your MB and PSU?

<b><font color=blue>The shortest distance between two points is under construction....

bobKrub

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Sorry, i cant find any model numbers right now...i dont knwo where to look, but it is a via chipset on the mobo, and the powersupply is only 320 wats, maybe that could be the problem? But again, i dont have any problems outside of these 3 games. I gues it really could be memory then. Anyway to stress test it?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
my guess...your mobo is "programmed" to shut down your computer when your cpu temperature gets to a certain temp...at least thats what my friends comp does...
my sugestion...look around in your BIOS and look for something that indicates power shutdown temps. and warning temps (or something similar)...if and when you do find it...you can set the warning/shut down temps to a higher value....so you dont get these unexpected shut downs...but this is if your cpu temps get too high...

:eek: <b>Who fixed <font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s leaky faucet??</b> :eek: