Port from Cingular

I am getting ready to port from Cingular to Verizon. My contract is expired, so
no problem there. Has anyone else done this? Could you advise on the time it
took, any problems or if Cingular charged anything on the final bill for the
porting. Thank you

yes this really does help, thanks! By the way, I called Cingular and asked what
the charge would be to port away from them once your contract is expired and
was told there was no charge. I am guessing the extra fees the carriers are
charging cover the cost of porting. Thanks again, I am looking forward to the
switch

Retsamxim <retsamxim@aol.com> wrote:
> yes this really does help, thanks! By the way, I called Cingular and asked what
> the charge would be to port away from them once your contract is expired and
> was told there was no charge. I am guessing the extra fees the carriers are
> charging cover the cost of porting. Thanks again, I am looking forward to the
> switch

Yes, most if not all carriers are charging some sort of monthly fee
to cover portability costs.

Forgot to ask, did you have to call or do anything with Cingular or once you
ported your number was your Cingular account closed? Thanks

I ported from Sprint to Verizon and initially I thought it was going to get
ugly, but it turned out to be easy. I told verizon my number that I wanted
to port. After my rep finally got around to it, it only took a day to
get my verizon service up and running with my old number. I then called
sprint to let them know I was dropping their service. The service rep
I spoke to was rather nasty. I asked about pro-rating for time used, and
they said I would have to pay the whole amount. I replied that when I got
the bill, if it was for the full amount, I would pro-rate it myself. The
service rep then just hung up on me. About a month later I got a letter from
Sprint that included a check for service credit. No bill ever came.
Alex