How to give a gift of a cellular telephone and wireless se..

How exactly would you set up a gift of a cellular telephone and
wireless service to a grandparent hundreds of miles away?...

Apparently, even around holidays like mother's day there are no
promotions or marketing for wireless gift giving where families are
hundreds of miles away from one another.

"Don Saklad" <dsaklad@nestle.csail.mit.edu> wrote in message
> How exactly would you set up a gift of a cellular telephone and
> wireless service to a grandparent hundreds of miles away?...

The way I did it two years ago was to go online and order a *new* line of
service and phone in my name which *had to be shipped to me.* When the
phone arrived at my house, I activated it (it had to be activated in my
venue) and then shipped it at my expense to my parents. They were able to
use the phone right away because the plan was the AC plan. They had to live
with having an area code that was not theirs for 30 days. After 30 days I
called and did an EZMove on that account, but kept the billing address the
same. I know, it sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through, but it was the
only way to do it... at least at that time.

I ran into two problems. First they initially sent me a bad phone, so there
was a time delay while a replacement was sent out. Secondly, the exact same
plan was NOT available in my parents market.so I had to pay $5 more per
month for "unlimited" N&WE vs 3000 N&WE. (In my book, there is no practical
difference between unlimited and 3000... just a difference in price!)
Considering the problem with the first phone they shipped to me, I wish I
had just gone into a local Verizon store, gotten the phone and then taken
all the other steps.

If you end up implementing the above strategy, just make sure you copy down
the ESN of the phone. You'll need it when you do the EZMove so a new phone
number can be assigned to the phone.

"Joe Kaffe" <kaffejoe@yahoo.com> wrote

> "Don Saklad" <dsaklad@nestle.csail.mit.edu> wrote in message
> > How exactly would you set up a gift of a cellular telephone and
> > wireless service to a grandparent hundreds of miles away?...
>
> The way I did it two years ago was to go online and order a *new* line of
> service and phone in my name which *had to be shipped to me.*

I've never ordered and activated online ...
Can the are the shipping and billing addresses independent of the
area code for the plan? Could you:

Go to the website and enter Grandma's zip code.
Order a plan and phone.
Enter Grandma's address for shipping.
Enter your address for billing.

?
-Quick

"Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote in message

> "Joe Kaffe" <kaffejoe@yahoo.com> wrote
> >
> > "Don Saklad" <dsaklad@nestle.csail.mit.edu> wrote in message
> > > How exactly would you set up a gift of a cellular telephone and
> > > wireless service to a grandparent hundreds of miles away?...
> >
> > The way I did it two years ago was to go online and order a *new* line
of
> > service and phone in my name which *had to be shipped to me.*
>
> I've never ordered and activated online ...
> Can the are the shipping and billing addresses independent of the
> area code for the plan? Could you:
>
> Go to the website and enter Grandma's zip code.
> Order a plan and phone.
> Enter Grandma's address for shipping.
> Enter your address for billing.

Nope, at least not when I did it 2 years ago. I know because I tried. The
online system accepted the order with split addresses, but it was later
rejected. It *must* be shipped to the billing address. There was one other
thing that angered me. They charged me California sales tax because that's
where it was shipped from. I'm a Nevada resident, and if they would have
charged me Nevada sales tax I would have been fine with that. I even looked
up the California law and sent them a copy to no avail. It was like trying
to educate a rock.

"Joe Kaffe" <kaffejoe@yahoo.com> wrote

> There was one other thing that angered me. They charged
> me California sales tax because that's where it was shipped
> from. I'm a Nevada resident, and if they would have charged
> me Nevada sales tax I would have been fine with that. I even looked
> up the California law and sent them a copy to no avail. It was like trying
> to educate a rock.

You have to "train" rocks... How mad are you? try this:

VZW has a physical presence and point of sale in Nevada right?
So they probably have to charge Nevada sales tax on catalog
orders. Note: that internet orders may be handled differently or
not covered by Nevada law but they probably don't know or
it's not clear anyway. The important point is that you paid sales
tax.

Notify the Nevada state tax authority and cc VZW.
Tell them (with copy of bill or whatever) that you were
charged and paid sales tax on this purchase/order. You
are concerned that the monies collected for tax were
not forwarded to the state of Nevada...

That should get things cooking and may not help you much
but could straighten out the situation for your fellow Nevadans/

> "Joe Kaffe" <kaffejoe@yahoo.com> wrote
> >
> > There was one other thing that angered me. They charged
> > me California sales tax because that's where it was shipped
> > from. I'm a Nevada resident, and if they would have charged
> > me Nevada sales tax I would have been fine with that. I even looked
> > up the California law and sent them a copy to no avail. It was like
trying
> > to educate a rock.
>
> You have to "train" rocks... How mad are you? try this:
>
> VZW has a physical presence and point of sale in Nevada right?
> So they probably have to charge Nevada sales tax on catalog
> orders. Note: that internet orders may be handled differently or
> not covered by Nevada law but they probably don't know or
> it's not clear anyway. The important point is that you paid sales
> tax.
>
> Notify the Nevada state tax authority and cc VZW.
> Tell them (with copy of bill or whatever) that you were
> charged and paid sales tax on this purchase/order. You
> are concerned that the monies collected for tax were
> not forwarded to the state of Nevada...
>
> That should get things cooking and may not help you much
> but could straighten out the situation for your fellow Nevadans/

That's exactly what I did two years ago! I never heard the final outcome,
but I felt better at the time for having done it!

TRENDING THREADS