messenger service

i recently installed windows xp and ever since i have had
this pop up called messenger service that invades the
screen and any time - on or off line. how do i get rid of
it?
7 answers Last reply
More about messenger service

    These ads are using Messenger Service.
    Messenger Service is a valuable tool many use.
    Like many tools, it can be exploited.

    No need to pay for the fix.
    For Messenger Service ads:
    You NEED to install or enable a firewall:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330904
    Disabling Messenger Service can be a good idea, but it does not solve
    the real problem.
    The ads are not the real problem, the ads are only a symptom.
    The real problem is open ports that allow unwanted traffic into the
    computer.
    Disabling Messenger does nothing for the open ports.
    The firewall controls the traffic.

    Internet Connection Firewall will not work if you have AOL.
    AOL is not compatible with Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
    (ICF)
    If you have AOL, you should contact AOL and/or get a 3rd party
    firewall:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/npf/

    Also see this link to help properly protect your computer:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    "peanut" <bad6370@classicnet.net> wrote in message
    > i recently installed windows xp and ever since i have had
    > this pop up called messenger service that invades the
    > screen and any time - on or off line. how do i get rid of
    > it?

    Greetings --

    This type of spam has become quite common over the past year or
    so, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you most definitely open to other threats, such as the Blaster,
    Welchia, and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. Install and
    use a decent, properly configured firewall. (Merely disabling the
    messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom,
    and does little or nothing to truly secure your machine.) And
    ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap represented by
    these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    If you're using AOL, you'll either need to find a 3rd party
    firewall that is compatible with AOL, or switch to a real ISP that is
    compatible with the real Internet. This is because AOL is an on-line
    content provider that ignores international Internetworking standards
    in favor of its own proprietary products, and has deliberately made
    its connection software incompatible with both WinXP's built-in
    firewall and WinXP's Internet Connection Sharing feature. AOL's
    proprietary connection applet is deliberately designed to preclude
    your setting/adjusting any of its properties, to include
    enabling/disabling WinXP's ICF and ICS.

    Whichever firewall you decide upon, be sure to ensure UDP ports
    135, 137, and 138 and TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 are _all_ blocked.
    You may also disable Inbound NetBIOS (NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll
    have to follow the instructions from firewall's manufacturer for the
    specific steps.

    You can test your firewall at:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=GPVHGBYNCJEIMXQKCDT

    Security Scan - Sygate Online Services
    http://www.sygatetech.com/

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is _not_ the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    Bruce Chambers
    having both at once. -- RAH

    "peanut" <bad6370@classicnet.net> wrote in message
    > i recently installed windows xp and ever since i have had
    > this pop up called messenger service that invades the
    > screen and any time - on or off line. how do i get rid of
    > it?

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904

    Protect your PC

    To secure your computer and prevent possible future security breeches,
    consider installing a first-rate, comprehensive, internet security program:

    Norton Internet Security 2004
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/

    -- Includes Norton AntiVirus 2004
    -- Includes Norton Personal Firewall
    -- Includes prevention of annoying web pop-ups
    -- Includes Parental Controls
    -- All in one, easy-to-install package

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement Appears
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904
    >
    > Protect your PC
    >
    > To secure your computer and prevent possible future security breeches,
    > consider installing a first-rate, comprehensive, internet security
    program:

    > Norton Internet Security 2004
    > http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/
    >
    > -- Includes Norton AntiVirus 2004
    > -- Includes Norton Personal Firewall
    > -- Includes prevention of annoying web pop-ups
    > -- Includes Parental Controls
    > -- All in one, easy-to-install package
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    Please do not offer others who have no clue to what these warnings are, to
    use a program that can screw up a system beyond help, and is hard to
    configure for the novice! Norton does more harm than good, and is very
    invasive in just about any operating system.

    Advice to peanut, don't spend money on item you can get for free, like Zone
    Alarm, and AVG anti-virus.

    I've been using Norton products for years and they all
    are easy to install and configure. I would not recommend
    them if they were otherwise. All the "free" products I tried
    were not as effective as Norton.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    > I've been using Norton products for years and they all
    > are easy to install and configure. I would not recommend
    > them if they were otherwise. All the "free" products I tried
    > were not as effective as Norton.

    Really, ever read a consensus from other pros here? Norton's is not very
    good, hence why they will sooner or later go by the way of a failed
    enterprise, because they don't fix their issues, especially when they don't
    answer back to complaints of customers. I personally don't use any AV
    (though I use Trend Micro's free online scan from time to time). But I do
    use ZA pro, and that is much better than Norton's firewall, and is less
    invasive, and cheaper.

    Having any program attempt to care of an operating system is a totally bad
    idea, especially Norton's SW, Iolo's System Mechanic, or anything that
    states it does well fixing Windows problems with registries, etc. Windows in
    itself does a good enough job. They all tend to be memory intensive, and
    take away control from Windows what it can do on its own, especially XP.

    If the title bar reads as MESSENGER SERVICE, then it the famous Messenger SPAM. Enable the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP:

    1. Open Network Connections
    2. Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
    3. On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

    This blocks the TCP ports responsible for Messenger data tranmissions and prevents Pop-ups.

    [More Information]
    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    "peanut" <bad6370@classicnet.net> wrote in message news:14ff401c445b1$ffd40730$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    i recently installed windows xp and ever since i have had
    this pop up called messenger service that invades the
    screen and any time - on or off line. how do i get rid of
    it?

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP