xp pro

given computer, has xp pro on it can not update or
download because i am not the adminsator. do not no
passwork or name. can i find out or is the computer
ng?????????? help please am new to xp so i need to be
led slowly and by the hand thanks ron
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Hi,

    If you do not know the administrator logon information, then I would suggest
    you not fiddle with it but rather format and start with a clean
    installation. Chances are this is not the only problem you will run into,
    and you will need to know what the admin password is, and how to access that
    account. Besides, if it was given to you "as is", then there is likely a lot
    of other junk on it as well.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > If you do not know the administrator logon information, then I would
    > suggest you not fiddle with it but rather format and start with a
    > clean installation. Chances are this is not the only problem you will
    > run into, and you will need to know what the admin password is, and
    > how to access that account. Besides, if it was given to you "as is",
    > then there is likely a lot of other junk on it as well.

    You're making a big assumption there, Rick - I don't think he was given the
    disc, because the person who "gave" him the system is planning to install it
    on another.

    Well, if that is the case then they have two choices: Get the OS CD and
    admin password from the giver, as they will likely need it at some point, or
    purchase one of their own, as they have no legal claim to the one on the
    system. In either case, unless they have access to the admin account,
    troubleshooting will be problematic at best, and the easiest way to resolve
    this would be a clean slate.

    --

    "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > If you do not know the administrator logon information, then I would
    > > suggest you not fiddle with it but rather format and start with a
    > > clean installation. Chances are this is not the only problem you will
    > > run into, and you will need to know what the admin password is, and
    > > how to access that account. Besides, if it was given to you "as is",
    > > then there is likely a lot of other junk on it as well.
    >
    > You're making a big assumption there, Rick - I don't think he was given
    the
    > disc, because the person who "gave" him the system is planning to install
    it
    > on another.

    And, that's relevant to the OP, HOW?

    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > If you do not know the administrator logon information,
    then I would
    > > suggest you not fiddle with it but rather format and
    start with a
    > > clean installation. Chances are this is not the only
    problem you will
    > > run into, and you will need to know what the admin
    password is, and
    > > how to access that account. Besides, if it was given to
    you "as is",
    > > then there is likely a lot of other junk on it as well.
    >
    > You're making a big assumption there, Rick - I don't think
    he was given the
    > disc, because the person who "gave" him the system is
    planning to install it
    > on another.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP