xp pro

May 29, 2004 5:34:33 PM

given computer, has xp pro on it can not update or
download because i am not the adminsator. do not no
passwork or name. can i find out or is the computer
ng?????????? help please am new to xp so i need to be
led slowly and by the hand thanks ron

More about : pro

Anonymous
May 29, 2004 8:59:20 PM

Hi,

If you do not know the administrator logon information, then I would suggest
you not fiddle with it but rather format and start with a clean
installation. Chances are this is not the only problem you will run into,
and you will need to know what the admin password is, and how to access that
account. Besides, if it was given to you "as is", then there is likely a lot
of other junk on it as well.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"ron206" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> given computer, has xp pro on it can not update or
> download because i am not the adminsator. do not no
> passwork or name. can i find out or is the computer
> ng?????????? help please am new to xp so i need to be
> led slowly and by the hand thanks ron
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 12:12:16 AM

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you do not know the administrator logon information, then I would
> suggest you not fiddle with it but rather format and start with a
> clean installation. Chances are this is not the only problem you will
> run into, and you will need to know what the admin password is, and
> how to access that account. Besides, if it was given to you "as is",
> then there is likely a lot of other junk on it as well.

You're making a big assumption there, Rick - I don't think he was given the
disc, because the person who "gave" him the system is planning to install it
on another.
June 2, 2004 12:12:17 AM

Well, if that is the case then they have two choices: Get the OS CD and
admin password from the giver, as they will likely need it at some point, or
purchase one of their own, as they have no legal claim to the one on the
system. In either case, unless they have access to the admin account,
troubleshooting will be problematic at best, and the easiest way to resolve
this would be a clean slate.

--

"Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If you do not know the administrator logon information, then I would
> > suggest you not fiddle with it but rather format and start with a
> > clean installation. Chances are this is not the only problem you will
> > run into, and you will need to know what the admin password is, and
> > how to access that account. Besides, if it was given to you "as is",
> > then there is likely a lot of other junk on it as well.
>
> You're making a big assumption there, Rick - I don't think he was given
the
> disc, because the person who "gave" him the system is planning to install
it
> on another.

June 2, 2004 12:32:59 PM

And, that's relevant to the OP, HOW?