Sign in with
Your question

Help Needed with Gigabyte GA-7VRXP and WinXP

Last response: in Motherboards
July 3, 2002 3:00:32 PM

I have a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP mb, with AMD Athlon XP 1800+ and 512 OCZ CL 2.0 PC 2700 RAM.
I want to hook up 5 drives and want to use the raid controllers as normal IDE channels i.e. I want to use the IDE3 and IDE4 on the motherboard as 3rd and 4th IDE channels.
I have my main IBM HD hooked up on IDE1.
I have my CD Rom hooked up on IDE2.
I have my CD Burner hooked up on IDE3.
I have my zip and 2nd HD hooked up as Master & Slave on IDE4.
I installed Win2000 on my machine at first, and after some trouble-shooting I got all the drives to show up.

I tried installing WinXP and I have run into problems. WinXP does not recognize the Promise Raid Controller as an IDE channel. I tried to specify the controller in setup by pressing F6 and stuff but still the drives did not show up after XP installation. I have downloaded the latest drivers and everything, but the drives on IDE channels 3 & 4 do not show up. Device Manager does recognize the Promise Raid controller as a SCSI-Raid Controller.

Has anybody else run into problem like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Balpreet.
July 5, 2002 3:34:12 PM

If that is the only problem you have with this MB, you are a lucky duck. The Raid stuff reportly doesn't work on this board.

Certain shipped lot numbers are being reported as defective and unstable on other forums. The board has a voltage problem generally with GF4 cards and Gigabyte is redesigning the voltage circuit.

Watch out for boards with lots ending in E but other lots seem bad too.

Tom's rated this board as the best KT333 board. I would hate to see the worst.
July 6, 2002 10:38:57 AM

Yeah, there were many users having problems getting RAID to be recognized and work with this mainboard no matter what drivers they used. If you can just RMA that thing and check out all the forums and ask questions before buying next time. It doesn't hurt to be skeptical if it can save you a huge hassle.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2002 11:52:03 PM

cyclic event...

<i> :smile: I like THG Interactive, Inc.</i>
July 7, 2002 12:06:48 AM

You do realize that RAID only recognizes hard drives on channels 3 and 4? No other devices. You have to put your CD, DVD, Zip, ect on channels 1 and 2, and then fill in the rest of the space with hard drives if you have them (don't need to use all 4 channels).

"When there's a will, there's a way."
!