Can't rename user folders

When I set up my computer, using XP Home, I was prompted
to choose folder names, and chose long names making the
paths displayed in my explorer windows too long to appear
in full. I would like to shorten the folder names
including one called "Documents and Settings" that may
have been selected by Windows, and a subfolder
called "DellP2 Settings" that I chose; but when I try to
do so, I get an error message that says they are systems
folders that canot be renamed or removed. Am I locked
into these names forever?
4 answers Last reply
More about rename user folders

    Hi,

    > Am I locked into these names forever?

    For those accounts - yes. You cannot rename the user folders. You would need
    to create new user accounts with the preferred names, then port over the
    settings and files you want to keep.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Fred Hoffman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I set up my computer, using XP Home, I was prompted
    > to choose folder names, and chose long names making the
    > paths displayed in my explorer windows too long to appear
    > in full. I would like to shorten the folder names
    > including one called "Documents and Settings" that may
    > have been selected by Windows, and a subfolder
    > called "DellP2 Settings" that I chose; but when I try to
    > do so, I get an error message that says they are systems
    > folders that canot be renamed or removed. Am I locked
    > into these names forever?

    Thanks.
    Can I use an ordinary cut/paste operation to port the
    files and settings to a new user folder? Can I do it
    wholesale from the present "Documents and Settings"
    folder? Can I delete the content of the old "Documents &
    Settings"?

    wrote in message
    >> When I set up my computer, using XP Home, I was prompted
    >> to choose folder names, and chose long names making the
    >> paths displayed in my explorer windows too long to
    appear
    >> in full. I would like to shorten the folder names
    >> including one called "Documents and Settings" that may
    >> have been selected by Windows, and a subfolder
    >> called "DellP2 Settings" that I chose; but when I try to
    >> do so, I get an error message that says they are systems
    >> folders that canot be renamed or removed. Am I locked
    >> into these names forever?
    >

    >.

    Hi,

    "Documents and Settings" is a system folder as well, and should be left
    alone. To copy the user profiles, see:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

    --

    > Thanks.
    > Can I use an ordinary cut/paste operation to port the
    > files and settings to a new user folder? Can I do it
    > wholesale from the present "Documents and Settings"
    > folder? Can I delete the content of the old "Documents &
    > Settings"?

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 00:15:18 -0700,

    >Thanks.
    >Can I use an ordinary cut/paste operation to port the
    >files and settings to a new user folder? Can I do it
    >wholesale from the present "Documents and Settings"
    >folder? Can I delete the content of the old "Documents &
    >Settings"?

    I would leave that folder alone, you can seriously damage Windows XP
    from working correctly if you rename it. You would have also to rename
    100s of entries in the Registry as well if you rename that
    folder...!!!

    Peter Hutchison

Windows XP