RGSPro

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
I think I am going to buy a new motherboard, and I want the best performance motherboard with awesome overclocking capabilities! It needs to be for an AMD Socket A CPU, and with DDR Ram. I have come down to these motherboards...

MSI K7N415 Pro
MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP
EPoX 8K3A+

What do you think the best motherboard is? Not just of these, but you know... everything, just remember performace, and overclocking capabilities.

http:/www.rgsalienmind.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by RGSPro on 07/04/02 00:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no others huh?

well the nforce is a good board, but ive heard that they dont overclock so well.
ive also heard of people having significant problems with gigasucks current range of motherboards, so you best bet is the KT3 ultra.

course there are other brands and boards that are even better with overclocking, but sacrifice some features.
Question: will u use all the features???

<font color=purple>I am the Motherboard Destroyer!
Hear Me Roar!</font color=purple> <font color=orange>*SQUEAK*</font color=orange>

RGSPro

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
Well, those are the ones that I have found wirth purchasing. The gigabyte motherboard is going down on my list the more and more I read about it (it has not thermal protection whasoever, and thats not good for overclocking). I want to know what you think the best motherboard is. I prolly won't use any onboard features, as I don't want onboard sound or video. I just want some screaming FPS. Yea, I also considered the EPoX 8K3A+.

http:/www.rgsalienmind.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by RGSPro on 07/04/02 00:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well then the epox is great. Loads of mem tweaks and OC options. ive got one.

was mega stable till 2 nites ago, when it got some wierd bios glitch so it wouldnt boot at all... till i pressed the reset button LOL

back to super stable normal now :smile:

<font color=purple>I am the Motherboard Destroyer!
Hear Me Roar!</font color=purple> <font color=orange>*SQUEAK*</font color=orange>

wrzlbrzl

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
i'll buy me the 8k3a, too. but without raid (8k3a+ is WITH raid. i think you don't need raid, do you?)
a tip i can give you is to cool the northbridge better. the passive cooler is too small. just put an aktive cooler (for example from your old Pentium II) on. but you don't HAVE to do so!

GERMANY IS VIZE FIFA WORLD CUP CHAMPION!!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah... theres been some debate about the northbridge cooling on the epox.

for most people the stock solution is fine.
few have overheating issues, but that may be due to poor sticking of the HS to the NB.

personally i had no troubles, but even so i got a 40mm fan for overclocking

good thing about the design of the heatsink is that a 40mm fan screws on very easily. just a bulk standard fan with 4 steel screws.
the screws fit nicely between the fins and bite into the softer aluminium, giving a very secure fit, and a professional looking job!

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol:

wrzlbrzl

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
oh man, my english isn't very bad, but trying to understand your reply is hard for me :)
can you translate the following:
"...of the HS to the NB." ???
and what is a "headsink"?

GERMANY IS RUNNER-UP WORLD CHAMPION!!!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
"of the HS to the NB"
of the heatsink to the northbridge
"headsink=heatsink"
Heatsink is a device that is used to dissapate heat more effectively with the use of a larger surface area.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

wrzlbrzl

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
thanks. i've never heard about a headsink, but i will not ask :). not in english...

GERMANY IS RUNNER-UP WORLD CHAMPION!!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehehe
sorry

the 'heatsink' is the spikey aluminium piece of metal stuck ontop of your northbridge.
you also use a Heatsink (HS) on your CPU, with a fan (HSF)

NB - northbridge.

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol:

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Instead of those companies i would recommend KT333 boards from Asus and Soltek, both of them have thermal protection mechanisms to protect your CPU from thermal death.

Asus A7V333
Soltek 75-DRV5

The Asus is the slightly better board as it also contains RAID, Firewire and USB 2.0 built in.

<font color=red>isit alan?</font color=red>

ARGON

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Just want to interject my two cents about Gigabyte boards. First, there is nothing "sucky" about Gigabyte whatsoever. The 7VRXP is a feature-rich baord coupled with incredible performance. If you have a well built board, mo matter who makes it, over-clocking is going to go smoothly rovided you are working with a proccessor that is suitable and top notch memeory.
I am, in no way, bent on Gigabyte as THE board, but it certainly does not deserve the reference of "Gigasucks." lol I have built about 18 computers in the last 2 months and about half of those have Gigabyte baords. Never had a problem, and all baords run great. =)

RGSPro

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
then what is "THE board". thats what I am trying to find out. I want the best motheroard possible! The more features the better, as long as it performs great and can overclock. WHAT IS THE BEST MOTHERBOARD. If I gave you $500 buks and said buy a motherboard, and a motherboard only, what board would you buy?

http:/www.rgsalienmind.com

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Probably a dual processor board, but I doubt that's the direction you want to go in. Right now, for socket A I'd probably go for an ASUS KT333 board (choosing the features I want / need - I just hate to get something like onboard sound if I have no intention of using it). Then again, if price is no object I would go for Intel right now. The Northwood B would appear to be the performance king until AMD comes out with something different (at least 166MHz FSB).

G

<A HREF="http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/ABIT/KX7-333R/" target="_new">Abit KX7-333R</A>. its really an alien motherboard. :smile:

<i> :smile: I like THG Interactive, Inc.</i>

cool the northbridge better. the passive cooler is too small. just put an aktive cooler
Would a good airflow setup in the case make up for this instead, or would you recommend one anyway? (Yes I know it's always good to have the extra, but is it necessary?)

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>