Snap-in failed to initialize

Hi,
I tried Microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers. But no one
there solved my problem yet. I have tried For Pro:
Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
Policy/Local Policies/Security options.
In the right hand pane (third down). Accounts: Limit
local account use of
blank passwords to console logon only. This is enabled by
default, disable
it.
Then ---http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826282--Same error.
Then this step Type it in Start - Run
cmd /c echo %path% > "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt"
also type-
cmd /c set >> "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt"
16 answers Last reply
More about snap failed initialize

    Does your path include
    %SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM
    in Environment Variables?

    Have a look at this also:
    Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft
    Management Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297064

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:156c701c4466d$d8082ad0$a001280a@phx.gbl,
    mctiger <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    > I tried Microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers. But no one
    > there solved my problem yet. I have tried For Pro:
    > Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
    > Policy/Local Policies/Security options.
    > In the right hand pane (third down). Accounts: Limit
    > local account use of
    > blank passwords to console logon only. This is enabled by
    > default, disable
    > it.
    > Then ---http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    > Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826282--Same error.
    > Then this step Type it in Start - Run
    > cmd /c echo %path% > "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt"
    > also type-
    > cmd /c set >> "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt"

    Hi,
    Yes it does include
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM.
    I also checked out that web site and recieved this----Running 32-bit
    and 64-bit snap-ins in Win64Microsoft 64-bit operating
    systems can run both 32-bit MMC (MMC32) and 64-bit MMC (MMC64). MMC64
    cannot run 32-bit snap-ins, and MMC32 cannot run 64-bit snap-ins. This
    topic describes how to determine and control which version of MMC is
    executed in a Microsoft 64-bit operating system.

    MMC can be executed with command line parameters, such as a console
    file name. Additionally, the following command line switches are
    recognized by MMC64.

    /32
    /64
    If both of the preceding switches are specified on the command line,
    then the far right switch is in effect.

    Start-up considerations if /32 or /64 is in effect.
    If MMC64 is started with no command line parameters, or if MMC64 is
    started with the /64 command-line option, it executes as the MMC64
    application. If MMC64 is started with the /32 command-line option,
    MMC32 is launched, using the same parameters initially passed to MMC64
    (except the /32 command-line option), and MMC64 will terminate.

    Start-up considerations if a console file is specified.
    If the MMC64 command line does not contain a /32 or /64 command-line
    option, but the command line does contain a console file name, then
    MMC64 examines the console file before determining which version of
    MMC remains in execution. MMC64 uses the following algorithm.

    If all snap-ins referenced by the console file are available in 64-bit
    form, then MMC64 will remain as the executing version (the remaining
    algorithm steps are not executed). A snap-in is considered available
    in 64-bit form if it exists as an HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\snap-in
    clsid\InprocServer32 key in the registry, where snap-in clsid is the
    registered CLSID for the snap-in.
    If not all snap-ins referenced by the console file are available in
    64-bit form but all of them are available in 32-bit form, then MMC64
    starts MMC32. MMC32 executes using the console file as specified on
    the command line, and MMC64 terminates (the remaining algorithm steps
    are not executed). A snap-in is considered available in 32-bit form if
    it exists as a HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\snap-in
    clsid\InprocServer32 key in the registry, where snap-in clsid is the
    registered CLSID for the snap-in.
    If the number of unavailable 64-bit snap-ins is a subset of the
    unavailable 32-bit snap-ins, then MMC64 remains as the executing
    version (the remaining algorithm steps are not executed).
    If the number of unavailable 32-bit snap-ins is a subset of the
    unavailable 64-bit snap-ins, then MMC64 starts MMC32 and MMC64 closes
    (the remaining algorithm step is not executed).
    If none of the previous steps yields a conclusion, then a user
    interface is presented to the user, prompting the user to specify
    which version of MMC to run (an option to cancel is also presented to
    the user).
    In any event where MMC64 fails to successfully start MMC32, MMC64
    continues to run. After MMC32 has been successfully started by MMC64,
    then MMC64 closes. If an error occurs after MMC32 has successfully
    started, MMC64 is not notified, as it will have already been closed.

    I really do not understand any of this.Can you help with this?
    Which advice from this should I follow?
    I updated to sevice pack 2=Bata version.I uninstalled the Bata.
    Maybe that mixed things up???
    Thanks again.

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:09:56 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Does your path include
    >%SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM
    >in Environment Variables?
    >
    >Have a look at this also:
    >Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft
    >Management Console
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297064

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    I have no idea where you came up with all this 64 bit stuff.
    It wasn't from the link that I posted.
    ==================

    Snap-in failed to initialize.
    This problem can occur when a program that has an associated MMC snap-in, is
    removed and leaves an orphaned entry in the registry.
    To resolve this problem:
    1 Ignore the message in the Symptoms section and click OK to start MMC.
    2 Click Console.
    3 Click Add\Remove Snap-in.
    4 Click the orphaned snap-in. (The snap-in should not have an icon.)
    5 Click Remove.
    6 Click OK to close the Add\Remove snap-in window.
    7 Save your changes to the console.
    =================

    I'm guessing that you don't have a 64 bit version of XP.

    Here's how to tell:
    Use My Computer to Check System Properties
    1 Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2 In the System Properties window, click the General tab.
    3 Note the first line under Computer:
    On 64-bit systems, Itanium or Itanium 2 appears on this line.
    On 32-bit systems, a value other than Itanium or Itanium2 appears on this
    line.

    If you do have a 64 bit version of Windows XP, I don't have a clue.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:12pkb05sm8de0ol85moihe1joto31qbic6@4ax.com,
    mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> [...]
    > then MMC64 closes. If an error occurs after MMC32 has successfully
    > started, MMC64 is not notified, as it will have already been closed.
    >
    > I really do not understand any of this.Can you help with this?
    > Which advice from this should I follow?
    > I updated to sevice pack 2=Bata version.I uninstalled the Bata.
    > Maybe that mixed things up???
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:09:56 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Does your path include
    >> %SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM
    >> in Environment Variables?
    >>
    >> Have a look at this also:
    >> Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft
    >> Management Console
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297064
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    I went into the Microsoft console. It only has these options.
    1. File=options=Exit
    2.Action Help
    3.View= Large icons or Small icons or list or Detail
    4. Help= Help topics=About console.

    The options=Disk Clean up only.

    So where is add and remove snap-in located? I only got to step 3,
    Then was lost from there.
    Thanks for your help.
    Also under the General tab the line reads...
    Computer
    Cyrix 6x86mx processor
    224MHz
    256 MB of RAM
    I hope this helps.

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 00:01:53 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I have no idea where you came up with all this 64 bit stuff.
    >It wasn't from the link that I posted.
    >==================
    >
    >Snap-in failed to initialize.
    >This problem can occur when a program that has an associated MMC snap-in, is
    >removed and leaves an orphaned entry in the registry.
    >To resolve this problem:
    >1 Ignore the message in the Symptoms section and click OK to start MMC.
    >2 Click Console.
    >3 Click Add\Remove Snap-in.
    >4 Click the orphaned snap-in. (The snap-in should not have an icon.)
    >5 Click Remove.
    >6 Click OK to close the Add\Remove snap-in window.
    >7 Save your changes to the console.
    >=================
    >
    >I'm guessing that you don't have a 64 bit version of XP.
    >
    >Here's how to tell:
    >Use My Computer to Check System Properties
    >1 Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    >2 In the System Properties window, click the General tab.
    >3 Note the first line under Computer:
    >On 64-bit systems, Itanium or Itanium 2 appears on this line.
    >On 32-bit systems, a value other than Itanium or Itanium2 appears on this
    >line.
    >
    >If you do have a 64 bit version of Windows XP, I don't have a clue.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Is Local Security Policy the Snap-in that fails?
    If so, Start | Run | Type: secpol.msc | OK
    Does that open?

    I don't know why you have such a limited selection in File.
    Unless there is some restriction set in gpedit.msc.

    I have:
    New
    Open
    Save
    Save As
    -------------
    Add/Remove Snap-in
    -----------------
    Most Recent Used
    -------------
    Exit
    -----------

    What happens when you hit Ctrl + M while in MMC?

    That's the key combo for Add/Remove Snap-in

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:lsvkb0dklhiac597ktdjk47hv81gsjdvr0@4ax.com,
    mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    > I went into the Microsoft console. It only has these options.
    > 1. File=options=Exit
    > 2.Action Help
    > 3.View= Large icons or Small icons or list or Detail
    > 4. Help= Help topics=About console.
    >
    > The options=Disk Clean up only.
    >
    > So where is add and remove snap-in located? I only got to step 3,
    > Then was lost from there.
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Also under the General tab the line reads...
    > Computer
    > Cyrix 6x86mx processor
    > 224MHz
    > 256 MB of RAM
    > I hope this helps.
    >

    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 00:01:53 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I have no idea where you came up with all this 64 bit stuff.
    >> It wasn't from the link that I posted.
    >> ==================
    >>
    >> Snap-in failed to initialize.
    >> This problem can occur when a program that has an associated MMC
    >> snap-in, is removed and leaves an orphaned entry in the registry.
    >> To resolve this problem:
    >> 1 Ignore the message in the Symptoms section and click OK to start
    >> MMC. 2 Click Console.
    >> 3 Click Add\Remove Snap-in.
    >> 4 Click the orphaned snap-in. (The snap-in should not have an icon.)
    >> 5 Click Remove.
    >> 6 Click OK to close the Add\Remove snap-in window.
    >> 7 Save your changes to the console.
    >> =================
    >>
    >> I'm guessing that you don't have a 64 bit version of XP.
    >>
    >> Here's how to tell:
    >> Use My Computer to Check System Properties
    >> 1 Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    >> 2 In the System Properties window, click the General tab.
    >> 3 Note the first line under Computer:
    >> On 64-bit systems, Itanium or Itanium 2 appears on this line.
    >> On 32-bit systems, a value other than Itanium or Itanium2 appears on
    >> this line.
    >>
    >> If you do have a 64 bit version of Windows XP, I don't have a clue.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    It didn't have that on the last text file you posted, though it had it on the first one.

    http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/index.html
    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:12pkb05sm8de0ol85moihe1joto31qbic6@4ax.com...

> [...]
    > then MMC64 closes. If an error occurs after MMC32 has successfully
    > started, MMC64 is not notified, as it will have already been closed.
    >
    > I really do not understand any of this.Can you help with this?
    > Which advice from this should I follow?
    > I updated to sevice pack 2=Bata version.I uninstalled the Bata.
    > Maybe that mixed things up???
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:09:56 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Does your path include
    > >%SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM
    > >in Environment Variables?
    > >
    > >Have a look at this also:
    > >Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft
    > >Management Console
    > >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297064
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    I tried what you said. I only get a beeping sound. How do you
    un-restrict a restriction set in gpedit.msc ?
    The console opens after the warning that snap-in failed.
    Thanks again.

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 01:28:03 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >gpedit.msc.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Start | Run | gpedit.msc | OK

    Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows
    Components\
    Microsoft Management Console\Restricted/Permitted snap-ins\

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:v50mb0pn82sta00i8oce1ubepfp32hnc9q@4ax.com,
    mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I tried what you said. I only get a beeping sound. How do you
    > un-restrict a restriction set in gpedit.msc ?
    > The console opens after the warning that snap-in failed.
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 01:28:03 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> gpedit.msc.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    I went to run. Typed in the run box gpedit.msc. Then clicked on the ok
    button.
    It then opened up the group policy in the console.
    on the left is 2 heads next to them it reads-Local computer policy
    only. Next to that in another section. It reads--Snap-in creation
    failed.The snap-in is not created,it may not be installed properly.
    Name:group policy
    CLSID:{8FCOB734-AOE1-A&D3-0000F87571E3}
    Hope this helps & thanks again.

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:52:21 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Start | Run | gpedit.msc | OK
    >
    >Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows
    >Components\
    >Microsoft Management Console\Restricted/Permitted snap-ins\

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    See if you can find a reference to {8FCOB734-AOE1-A&D3-0000F87571E3}
    in one of these

    Windows 2000 Microsoft Management Console and Snap-in Restrictions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271135

    Administrator May Be Unable to Edit Group Policy in Windows 2000 Domain
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263166

    In news:ngqmb0phve9c3c3ngdh74nptd9unmnsfk9@4ax.com,
    mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I went to run. Typed in the run box gpedit.msc. Then clicked on the ok
    > button.
    > It then opened up the group policy in the console.
    > on the left is 2 heads next to them it reads-Local computer policy
    > only. Next to that in another section. It reads--Snap-in creation
    > failed.The snap-in is not created,it may not be installed properly.
    > Name:group policy
    > CLSID:{8FCOB734-AOE1-A&D3-0000F87571E3}
    > Hope this helps & thanks again.
    >

    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:52:21 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Start | Run | gpedit.msc | OK
    >>
    >> Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative
    >> Templates\Windows Components\
    >> Microsoft Management Console\Restricted/Permitted snap-ins\
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Hi,
    I went to all 3 web sites.I followed the directions.
    To temporarily allow the use of the Group Policy snap-in, use the
    following steps:
    Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MMC

    Locate the RestrictToPermittedSnapins value and change it to 0.
    Quit Registry Editor.
    Try to start Group Policy Editor.

    But under the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MMC
    Under Microsoft there were only 2 files there.
    1. Internet explorer
    2.System certificates
    I expanded both of the + signs but no MMC folder or reference there at
    all.
    I am not real good with computers,But I am willing to learn.
    Thanks Wesley Vogel for your help and patience.

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:06:45 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >See if you can find a reference to {8FCOB734-AOE1-A&D3-0000F87571E3}
    >in one of these
    >
    >Windows 2000 Microsoft Management Console and Snap-in Restrictions
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271135
    >
    >Administrator May Be Unable to Edit Group Policy in Windows 2000 Domain
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263166
    >
    >Administrator May Be Unable to Edit Group Policy in Windows 2000 Domain
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;263166

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Have a look at these, no particular order.

    MMC Microsoft Management Console
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/microsoft_management_console.htm

    HOW TO Create Custom MMC Snap-in Tools Using Microsoft Management Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230263

    HOW TO Use Computer Management in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308423

    HOW TO Use the Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer Policy in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307882&Product=winxp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:83knb0hhahdhnjj9hdpjaoggsueoen8cng@4ax.com,
    mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    > I went to all 3 web sites.I followed the directions.
    > To temporarily allow the use of the Group Policy snap-in, use the
    > following steps:
    > Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    > Locate the following registry key:
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MMC
    >
    > Locate the RestrictToPermittedSnapins value and change it to 0.
    > Quit Registry Editor.
    > Try to start Group Policy Editor.
    >
    > But under the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MMC
    > Under Microsoft there were only 2 files there.
    > 1. Internet explorer
    > 2.System certificates
    > I expanded both of the + signs but no MMC folder or reference there at
    > all.
    > I am not real good with computers,But I am willing to learn.
    > Thanks Wesley Vogel for your help and patience.
    >
    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:06:45 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> See if you can find a reference to {8FCOB734-AOE1-A&D3-0000F87571E3}
    >> in one of these
    >>
    >> Windows 2000 Microsoft Management Console and Snap-in Restrictions
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271135
    >>
    >> Administrator May Be Unable to Edit Group Policy in Windows 2000
    >> Domain http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263166
    >>
    >> Administrator May Be Unable to Edit Group Policy in Windows 2000
    >> Domain http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;263166
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Hi,
    Thank you very much. The second link worked great.
    The only snap -in I could not add was group policy.
    I right clicked on it-Then reads-What's this?
    Then it stated to reinstall this item.
    How do I do that? Or how can I make the computer realize it is there?
    Thanks again!

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 02:48:34 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Have a look at these, no particular order.
    >
    >MMC Microsoft Management Console
    >http://www.theeldergeek.com/microsoft_management_console.htm
    >
    >HOW TO Create Custom MMC Snap-in Tools Using Microsoft Management Console
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230263
    >
    >HOW TO Use Computer Management in Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308423
    >
    >HOW TO Use the Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer Policy in
    >Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307882&Product=winxp

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    When you open Console1.msc, does it have Local Computer Policy??
    If it does, that's Group Policy.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:kgtpb09401kmp1c579a82p6fhfirh850c6@4ax.com,
    mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    > Thank you very much. The second link worked great.
    > The only snap -in I could not add was group policy.
    > I right clicked on it-Then reads-What's this?
    > Then it stated to reinstall this item.
    > How do I do that? Or how can I make the computer realize it is there?
    > Thanks again!
    >

    > On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 02:48:34 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Have a look at these, no particular order.
    >>
    >> MMC Microsoft Management Console
    >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/microsoft_management_console.htm
    >>
    >> HOW TO Create Custom MMC Snap-in Tools Using Microsoft Management
    >> Console
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230263
    >>
    >> HOW TO Use Computer Management in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308423
    >>
    >> HOW TO Use the Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer Policy in
    >> Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307882&Product=winxp

    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    When I type in the run box-gpedit.msc. The console opens-
    Under
    It does contain Local Computer Policy.
    Next to it however has a Snap-in Creation Failed message.
    The snap-in is not created, it may not be installed properly.
    name:group policy
    CLSD {8FCOB734-AOE1-11D1-A7D3-0000F87571E3}

    How do I fix this error?
    Thanks in advance.

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 21:59:16 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >When you open Console1.msc, does it have Local Computer Policy??
    >If it does, that's Group Policy.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Start | Run | Type: sfc /scannow |OK
    Have your XP CD ready to stick in your CD drive.

    scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
    (Sfc.exe)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

    HOW TO Verify That Windows File Protection Is Running
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814597

    SfcScan
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/71402.asp

    Windows File Protection and Alternative Data Streams
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286797

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:882qb0tn7p2413tmsup5vpmja0f5hd046o@4ax.com,
    mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > When I type in the run box-gpedit.msc. The console opens-
    > Under
    > It does contain Local Computer Policy.
    > Next to it however has a Snap-in Creation Failed message.
    > The snap-in is not created, it may not be installed properly.
    > name:group policy
    > CLSD {8FCOB734-AOE1-11D1-A7D3-0000F87571E3}
    >
    > How do I fix this error?
    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 21:59:16 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> When you open Console1.msc, does it have Local Computer Policy??
    >> If it does, that's Group Policy.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

Security Microsoft Command Prompt Windows XP