How do I get a toolbar deleted that I dont want

geek

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't find a
news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the right spot.

I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my computer
including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it comes
back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I did a
registry search and that came up blank.
--
Windows XP Home

If right-clicking a toolbar and unchecking it doesn't work, then try Start>Control panel>Add or Remove Programs. If not, run a search (from the start menu) to fnd it and delete it manully.

----- Geek wrote: -----

I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't find a
news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the right spot.

I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my computer
including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it comes
back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I did a
registry search and that came up blank.
--
Windows XP Home

Hi,

It sounds like you've been hit with some malware/spyware on your computer
and it has hijacked your Internet Explorer and added unwanted items on your
computer.

Visit this website: Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
>I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't find a
> news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the right
> spot.
>
> I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my
> computer
> including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it
> comes
> back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I did
> registry search and that came up blank.
> --
> Windows XP Home

geek

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Thanks Gary I have installed Ad Aware6.0 and it cleaned up over 100 items.
When it was completed the toolbar was gone.

--
Thanks,

Geek using
Windows XP Home
"Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> It sounds like you've been hit with some malware/spyware on your computer
> and it has hijacked your Internet Explorer and added unwanted items on
your
> computer.
>
> Visit this website: Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
>

> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
> >I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't find a
> > news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the right
> > spot.
> >
> > I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my
> > computer
> > including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it
> > comes
> > back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I
did
> > registry search and that came up blank.
> > --
> > Windows XP Home

geek

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Thanks superdotman,

I did follow these things already. It was not showing up. It ended up being
spyware and I was able to clean it out from the suggestions above. Pretty
amazing how this stuff hides itself in the computer no where to be found.

--
Thanks,

Geek using
Windows XP Home
"superdotman" <superdotman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If right-clicking a toolbar and unchecking it doesn't work, then try
Start>Control panel>Add or Remove Programs. If not, run a search (from the
start menu) to fnd it and delete it manully.

> ----- Geek wrote: -----
>
> I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't
find a
> news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the
right spot.

> I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my
computer
> including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it
comes
> back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I
did a
> registry search and that came up blank.
> --
> Windows XP Home

Also download and run the following free Spyware clean-up programs (One may
ask for a donation--your choice.):

Ad-Aware -
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Spybot
http://www.safer-networking.org/

CWShredder

What one doesn't get, the others will.

Malv
"Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> It sounds like you've been hit with some malware/spyware on your computer
> and it has hijacked your Internet Explorer and added unwanted items on
your
> computer.
>
> Visit this website: Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
>

> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
> >I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't find a
> > news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the right
> > spot.
> >
> > I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my
> > computer
> > including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it
> > comes
> > back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I
did
> > registry search and that came up blank.
> > --
> > Windows XP Home

geek

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Malvern,

Thanks for this I did end up using your advice and got Ad aware 6.0 and it
worked like a charm. No more toolbar! It was definitely spyware.

--
Thanks,

Geek using
Windows XP Home
"Malvern" <thisis@fak> wrote in message news:c9g4ua$n48$0@216.39.176.217...
> Also download and run the following free Spyware clean-up programs (One
may
> ask for a donation--your choice.):
>
> Ad-Aware -
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com
>
> Spybot
> http://www.safer-networking.org/
>
> CWShredder
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
>
> What one doesn't get, the others will.
>
> Malv
> "Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > It sounds like you've been hit with some malware/spyware on your
computer
> > and it has hijacked your Internet Explorer and added unwanted items on
> your
> > computer.
> >
> > Visit this website: Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From
Scumware
> > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
> >

> > --
> > Gary Tsang
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> >

> > "Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
> > >I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't find
> > > news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the right
> > > spot.
> > >
> > > I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my
> > > computer
> > > including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it
> > > comes
> > > back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I
> did
> > > registry search and that came up blank.
> > > --
> > > Windows XP Home

Hi,

No problem, glad to be of help =)

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

Protect Your PC: 3 steps to help ensure your PC is protected
Microsoft wants to help ensure your PC is protected from the latest
Blaster virus, as well as from future threats. Please go to
www.microsoft.com/protect and follow these steps today.

1. Use an Internet Firewall
2. Update Your Computer
3. Use Up-to-Date Antivirus Software

To get more information and resources about how to help protect
your PC, go to http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> Malvern,
>
> Thanks for this I did end up using your advice and got Ad aware 6.0 and it
> worked like a charm. No more toolbar! It was definitely spyware.
>
> --
> Thanks,

Looks like several of us had same idea :) Experience sez, "If something
can't be removed after regular approaches fail, suspect something is on the
ol' puter you probably don't want." Glad we helped.

Malv