How do I get a toolbar deleted that I dont want

I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't find a
news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the right spot.

I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my computer
including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it comes
back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I did a
registry search and that came up blank.
--
Windows XP Home
8 answers Last reply

    If right-clicking a toolbar and unchecking it doesn't work, then try Start>Control panel>Add or Remove Programs. If not, run a search (from the start menu) to fnd it and delete it manully.

    ----- Geek wrote: -----

    I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't find a
    news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the right spot.

    I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my computer
    including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it comes
    back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I did a
    registry search and that came up blank.
    --
    Windows XP Home

    Hi,

    It sounds like you've been hit with some malware/spyware on your computer
    and it has hijacked your Internet Explorer and added unwanted items on your
    computer.

    Visit this website: Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
    >I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't find a
    > news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the right
    > spot.
    >
    > I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my
    > computer
    > including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it
    > comes
    > back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I did
    > registry search and that came up blank.
    > --
    > Windows XP Home

    Thanks Gary I have installed Ad Aware6.0 and it cleaned up over 100 items.
    When it was completed the toolbar was gone.

    --
    Thanks,

    Geek using
    Windows XP Home
    "Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > It sounds like you've been hit with some malware/spyware on your computer
    > and it has hijacked your Internet Explorer and added unwanted items on
    your
    > computer.
    >
    > Visit this website: Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
    >

    > --
    > Gary Tsang
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >

    > "Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
    > >I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't find a
    > > news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the right
    > > spot.
    > >
    > > I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my
    > > computer
    > > including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it
    > > comes
    > > back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I
    did
    > > registry search and that came up blank.
    > > --
    > > Windows XP Home

    Thanks superdotman,

    I did follow these things already. It was not showing up. It ended up being
    spyware and I was able to clean it out from the suggestions above. Pretty
    amazing how this stuff hides itself in the computer no where to be found.

    --
    Thanks,

    Geek using
    Windows XP Home
    "superdotman" <superdotman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > If right-clicking a toolbar and unchecking it doesn't work, then try
    Start>Control panel>Add or Remove Programs. If not, run a search (from the
    start menu) to fnd it and delete it manully.

    > ----- Geek wrote: -----
    >
    > I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't
    find a
    > news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the
    right spot.

    > I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my
    computer
    > including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it
    comes
    > back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I
    did a
    > registry search and that came up blank.
    > --
    > Windows XP Home

    Also download and run the following free Spyware clean-up programs (One may
    ask for a donation--your choice.):

    Ad-Aware -
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

    Spybot
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    CWShredder

    What one doesn't get, the others will.

    Malv
    "Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > It sounds like you've been hit with some malware/spyware on your computer
    > and it has hijacked your Internet Explorer and added unwanted items on
    your
    > computer.
    >
    > Visit this website: Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
    >

    > --
    > Gary Tsang
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >

    > "Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
    > >I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't find a
    > > news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the right
    > > spot.
    > >
    > > I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my
    > > computer
    > > including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it
    > > comes
    > > back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I
    did
    > > registry search and that came up blank.
    > > --
    > > Windows XP Home

    Malvern,

    Thanks for this I did end up using your advice and got Ad aware 6.0 and it
    worked like a charm. No more toolbar! It was definitely spyware.

    --
    Thanks,

    Geek using
    Windows XP Home
    "Malvern" <thisis@fak> wrote in message news:c9g4ua$n48$0@216.39.176.217...
    > Also download and run the following free Spyware clean-up programs (One
    may
    > ask for a donation--your choice.):
    >
    > Ad-Aware -
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    >
    > Spybot
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >
    > CWShredder
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    >
    > What one doesn't get, the others will.
    >
    > Malv
    > "Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > It sounds like you've been hit with some malware/spyware on your
    computer
    > > and it has hijacked your Internet Explorer and added unwanted items on
    > your
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > Visit this website: Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From
    Scumware
    > > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.php
    > >

    > > --
    > > Gary Tsang
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > >

    > > "Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
    > > >I run Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP home addition. I couldn't find
    > > > news group of Explorer 6 so forgive me if I am not asking in the right
    > > > spot.
    > > >
    > > > I installed a weather program and it installed all this trash on my
    > > > computer
    > > > including the SearchTheMall.com toolbar. I tried to disable it but it
    > > > comes
    > > > back on each time I open explorer...how can I delete it altogether. I
    > did
    > > > registry search and that came up blank.
    > > > --
    > > > Windows XP Home

    Hi,

    No problem, glad to be of help =)

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

    Protect Your PC: 3 steps to help ensure your PC is protected
    Microsoft wants to help ensure your PC is protected from the latest
    Blaster virus, as well as from future threats. Please go to
    www.microsoft.com/protect and follow these steps today.

    1. Use an Internet Firewall
    2. Update Your Computer
    3. Use Up-to-Date Antivirus Software

    To get more information and resources about how to help protect
    your PC, go to http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    > Malvern,
    >
    > Thanks for this I did end up using your advice and got Ad aware 6.0 and it
    > worked like a charm. No more toolbar! It was definitely spyware.
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,

    Looks like several of us had same idea :) Experience sez, "If something
    can't be removed after regular approaches fail, suspect something is on the
    ol' puter you probably don't want." Glad we helped.

    Malv

Explorer Windows XP