Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Biggest disappointments

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
November 9, 2006 1:30:20 AM

What games were your biggest disappointments? Which ones just promised you everything you wanted to hear and delivered something vaguely resembling a pile of steaming poo?

I'm looking for anger and venting here, let it all out.

I'll start off with a surefire favorite... Masters of Orion 3.

I followed this game for over a year before it's release. I read all the fiction they put on the website, I applied for the extremely exclusive beta test, I searched the internet for any information I could find. Everything coming in it made me excited. It had races that had different optimal planet types, it had awesome customization of ships, it had interesting political and social dynamics. It was poo.

The game came out and me and all my friends were buying our copies. We even got a large display box since we showed up in a large enough group to drain their supply. We got back and installed it on our computers.

At first the interface was cumbersome but hope remained, I expected I would get used to it and love it as much as 2. Then it got more cumbersome. I started halfassing my planets and just going for sheer expansion. Then I found the tech tree to be less interesting than I would have liked, but there were some interesting things still in it. Then I found that the gas giant races had a clear and dramatic unfair advantage, then I found that any battle was easily winnable with nothing but missiles and fighter bays, then I found that culture meant pretty much nothing.

Finally I had conquered all, I dominated the galaxy and obliterated the new orions, I had one faithful ally who never crossed me and I had just killed the last planet that I was at war with when it happened. My ally, my faithful trusty sidekick, declared himself ruler of the galaxy. I apparently was never invited to the council and he just put forth the bill and voted himself ruler. That was it, I lost, I had no option to refuse him and no recourse. Game over.

So in one game of MOO3 I went from loving anticipation to utter and complete contempt and disgust. I have never played it again for I am far too bitter about what could have been.

So share, when were you spurned by a would be great?

More about : biggest disappointments

November 9, 2006 4:59:49 AM

Here's my trifecta, at least for this year...

Call of Duty 2. I...I just can't talk about this one...not right now. Let's move on...

GUN. Seriously, someone needs to make a kick-ass Western. GUN talked the talk -- big name voice actors, complex narrative, lots of action, cool quick draw. However, it played like a silly cartoon rather than a gritty Western.

Prey. Had high hopes, wanted it to be good; portal and spirit walking features looked intriguin, but it just fizzled under a lot of redundant, bland action. The game's visuals were brilliantly designed, but the game was never fun to play.
November 9, 2006 10:55:43 AM

Command & Conquer: Generals:

I used to be a big RTS fan ever since the first release of C&C on the original Play Station. So of course when I first heard about this game coming out I though, wow I can’t wait. So I did wait and wait and until it then finally came out and fizzled in my hands while I sat there and cried saying “This is the same old regular C&C in 3D” I mean was I wrong to expect some new game play features in a 3D version or should I have expected the exact same game in 3D?

(I have never gotten in to an RTS since)
Related resources
November 9, 2006 12:58:56 PM

May catch some flame for this one, but Warcraft III really disappointed me. In part, this was due to the unbelievably high expectations I had for the game - after all, Starcraft, Warcraft II, and the Diablos were best-of-breed games, and I was primed for the next one in the string. It wasn't bad, but I couldn't get into the game, and kept running into missions fairly early on that I really struggled to beat (somewhat unusual for me). I never got even halfway through the single-player campaign, and the only temptation I have to go back to it is for the history tie-ins with WoW. It is a testament to Blizzard that a merely good game from them is a disappointment, but there it is.

Also, Dungeon Siege really sucked - lots of hype, big name behind it, not much fun, and inventory management from hell - thank God I got it cheap...
November 10, 2006 9:21:11 AM

Doom 3. Started off really well but became rubbish.

Half Life 2

Call Of Duty 2

Halo (pc)

I could go on. I have to be honest many many games fail to impress me anymore in comparison to when I was younger. Maybe I'm harder to please or they just don't make decent games anymore.
November 10, 2006 11:37:28 AM

If you put HalfLife2 in your list then you really have to work on your expectations. Granted it wasn't as revolutionary as HalfLife, but measured by (almost) any standard, HalfLife2 is a decent, if not pretty good game.
November 10, 2006 1:15:21 PM

Walk for bit. Shoot bad guys. Walk for a bit shoot bad guys whilst doing this with irritating guns that don't feel real apart from the shottie. No skill involved and zero effort involved in playing the game.

HL2 was a by the numbers shooter as far as I'm concerned and nothing about it gave me any sort of wow factor. It's multiplayer was ruined by including the grav gun. I stopped playing that game half way through and only got around to finishing it some months later because I'd nothing better to do. It wouldn't be installed on my machine if it wasn't for Dod and CSS.

By the way have you played Chronicle of Riddick yet :)  Rob made me remember it the other day. That's a quality shooter.
November 10, 2006 5:14:20 PM

Quote:
If you put HalfLife2 in your list then you really have to work on your expectations. Granted it wasn't as revolutionary as HalfLife, but measured by (almost) any standard, HalfLife2 is a decent, if not pretty good game.

I think the point was that HL2 was a game with deservedly high expectations attached to it, and it under-delivered in his opinion. That was sort of the point of the thread; it's not a question of good vs. great, but of being disappointed when expectations went unfulfilled.
November 12, 2006 6:45:56 AM

Thank you for explaining to me what was already apparent (to me).

My point is, that he is going to get a lot of disappointments if he keeps up those personal expectations. That is not a judgement of his expectations or his opinions, just something to consider.
November 12, 2006 3:31:51 PM

To get back on track again, here is another bombshell of disapointment I got hit with.

Fallout Tactics.

To say that I had been a fan of Fallout 1 and 2 would be a dramatic understatement. They are quite possibly my two favorite RPGs and RPGs are my favorite genre. Fallout Tactics promised real time combat and tactical rpg elements. There were vehicles I could drive on a map and I could make a squad of deathclaws.

I was excited because I had faith that the franchise would deliver a great RP as well as gameplay experience. I was wrong.

I bought this the day it was released (same day as another disapointment which I will mention later, but it just added a bit of lemon juice to the old wound). The first thing I noticed was that there didn't seem to ever be any dialogue options. Ever. There was no personality, no character, and hardly any plot.

One thing I will say for it is that the action was good and the tactics were fun, but that was IT. That was all the game had going for it. It even tried to muster some humor, if you can call it that, and it was the kinds of things that jr high kids might joke about in the restroom. Probably the most juvenile humor I have ever seen in a game that didn't have the leisure suit larry name attached to it.

Even at the end of the game, there were 3 possible endings. The sum total difference in gameplay required to see them was to save before the last thing you did in the game and do something different. That pretty much killed any replay value the game might have had. Probably the second biggest disapointment I've had.
November 13, 2006 3:38:25 PM

In the past couple years, won't go beyond that cause the memory starts to get vague, my biggest dissapointment was "Heros of the Pacific" by Ubisoft. The the plane unflyable. It was bad enough when I got it into the air, but often it would blow up on the runway just as a mission started. Like, what's the point in even trying?

After that was "Silent Hunter 3". Even with the latest patch I could find, there were so many bugs that a can of Raid wouldn't kill them all. Go to periscope depth and get instantly killed in the later parts of the game, ghost ships that you could see in the periscope but wouldn't register on instruments so that you could fire at them (they could still kill you though), and taking damage before you left port, among other problems. The early part of the game was good enough, though it got boring and repetitive, but the later part was a waste of time.

Warcraft 3 was ok, but not as good as expected. Being unable to raise large armies and that thing about loosing income due to having large armies. It just didn't have the greatness of Warcraft 2. Both my son and myself thought that. It had good points for sure, but something just got lost in the story.
November 14, 2006 8:26:27 AM

any baseball game ive tried to play have all been naff!!
November 14, 2006 11:18:33 AM

Could that not be because baseball it's self is naff?

Let the wrath of the Americans come!
November 14, 2006 6:40:28 PM

Heh, the only baseball related video game I ever enjoyed was a fun little thing on the NES called Basewars.

It didn't even pretend to have realism. If it was at all close when someone tagged you out, you could beat them up and stay safe. All the players were robots that could be upgraded with various equipment and weapons. It was fun.... but the reason it was fun wasn't because it was baseball.
November 15, 2006 2:11:24 AM

I like Baseball Stars myself if we're talking about NES or baseball.

I'd say my biggest disappointment is probably that the modern Prince of Persia remake trilogy went so downhill (despite the gameplay improving) after Sands of Time.

Beyond that, I can sum it up in one word:
LucasArts

Or just one man:
George Lucas
Movies, related content, especially games made by his companies in recent years.
November 15, 2006 10:12:40 PM

Final Fantasy 8. I have loved the entire series... then 7 came out and i almost died out of how amazing it was.

When 8 came out, it basically stopped me from playing another console game after that.

I haven't touched another final fantasy game since, and almost ruined console games entirely.

Also.. Ultima Online(new one).. they had a new one in development and i followed it for freaking 2 years! I absolutely couldn't wait for it because I was the man at UO original.. then.. they did the dumbest thing I can imagine. Freaking canceled it!!!

Star Wars Galaxies. I shouldn't even have to explain that one. But let me vent.

Wow. They had the most amazing idea ever and ruined it! Different worlds.. all with amazing content! HOUSING that could be planted almost anywhere! Nice graphics and sounds.. ships.. all kinds of neat stuff.. Plus its freaking star wars.. pretty cool.

THen.. i got it. Absolutely NO content! NONE. This is very American of me.. but where the hell was all of the freaking items.. phat lewtz.. where the EFFF was the combat system? WHERE THE EFF did the pvp go? THE TEAM PLAY was a joke!
The entire team should go into business designing worlds for other mmo's .. but leave the rest of the genre alone when it comes to gameplay.
And to go on more of that.. i hope SONY DIES after that one. :D  ok i'm done.

PS.. Planetside was cool for 2 hours. Great idea, turned to crap after a few days.
November 16, 2006 6:33:27 AM

For me games like:-

Unreal (the origanal)
Sin
Heros of might and magic (all of them)
all x-com games after x-com "terror from the deep"
simon the sorceror 3d
to name but a few
:evil: 
November 16, 2006 8:12:00 AM

Nah Final Fantasy 8 was good, just needed a bit of work to get in to it. Had one of the best battle systems out of all of them, a little tedious to get it started but good in the end.
November 16, 2006 5:10:31 PM

Quote:
Nah Final Fantasy 8 was good, just needed a bit of work to get in to it. Had one of the best battle systems out of all of them, a little tedious to get it started but good in the end.

?

Was that sarcasm?

typical battle in FF8
Draw
Draw
Get hit by monster
Draw
Draw
Draw
Get hit by monster
repeat 300 times
Hit monster,monster dies, move on.
November 16, 2006 7:00:56 PM

Quote:
?

Was that sarcasm?

typical battle in FF8
Draw
Draw
Get hit by monster
Draw
Draw
Draw
Get hit by monster
repeat 300 times
Hit monster,monster dies, move on.

Wow, that sounds a lot like Gear of War!

Duck
Shoot
Duck
Crawl
Get hit by a monster
Shoot
Duck
Duck
Die!
Repeat 3,000 times

And yet, I can't...stop...playing it! Another subject for another time, I suppose...
November 17, 2006 7:52:27 AM

That was only about 20% of the battles but yeh as I said it was kind of tedious, but then after you get that done the engine is very good probably being one of the most open battle systems in any final fantasy game.

Saying that the new Final Fantasy 12 system seems to be very open too, but also very restricted at the same time.
November 22, 2006 9:24:47 AM

Quote:
Walk for bit. Shoot bad guys. Walk for a bit shoot bad guys whilst doing this with irritating guns that don't feel real apart from the shottie. No skill involved and zero effort involved in playing the game.

HL2 was a by the numbers shooter as far as I'm concerned and nothing about it gave me any sort of wow factor. It's multiplayer was ruined by including the grav gun. I stopped playing that game half way through and only got around to finishing it some months later because I'd nothing better to do. It wouldn't be installed on my machine if it wasn't for Dod and CSS.

By the way have you played Chronicle of Riddick yet :)  Rob made me remember it the other day. That's a quality shooter.

Yeah, have to agree with you there. I was really looking foward to HL2, but it just felt kind of hollow when I was playing it.
November 22, 2006 3:45:09 PM

unreal tournament 2003 and on. i loved unreal tournament, very crisp and edgy feeling. ut2003 was too cartoony

also day of defeat source. weapons suck, movement suck, maps suck. so i still play the original day of defeat
November 22, 2006 8:07:56 PM

Heres a third one from me... Tribes 2.

I loved the original Tribes, in fact it was the first FPS that I really enjoyed much at all. I got good at it.... real good.

Then along came word that they were working on Tribes 2 and that it would have more single player as well as improved graphics and such. Well by this point Tribes was starting to look pretty dated and I could dig some single player action to fill in whenever the internet connection went down or I just didn't feel like playing online. Tribes 2 came out the same day as Fallout Tactics and I went to dutifully support two of my favorite game titles by buying their sequels.

First I tried out Fallout tactics, which as I already mentioned was a huge disappointment. Then I gave Tribes 2 a whirl.... They managed to botch it up right proper. The weapons were not as fast paced and interesting, the inventory system was annoying at best, the maps were generally atrocious, and the jump jets that made Tribes what it was were unresponsive and sluggish, but the biggest grievance I have is the bots.

Tribes 2 incorporated a system that allowed you to have bots to fill out the sides in a battle. Unfortunately the AI on these bots was insultingly stupid.

As a result of this there were too many servers and therefore not enough players to go around. I tried for hours to find a game that wasn't just me against several bots but no challenge or fun was to be found more often than not.

Thus that day was one of the most disappointing in my video game life.
November 23, 2006 8:10:53 AM

Quote:
also day of defeat source. weapons suck, movement suck, maps suck. so i still play the original day of defeat

You know I felt the same thing. I couldn't shoot a single thing in DoD:S when it was realeased and I felt I'd wasted my money. But ya know what. Give it time and it's a grower and after a little while the guns feel right and you can start getting regular kills.

I couldn't go back to the old DoD. One thing I miss alot tho is the the omaho/charlie/dog1 map(s) I mostly just play avalanche anyway.
November 23, 2006 8:54:20 AM

*Thinks back to when the first DOD was in early beta*

Ah the good memories of when the game was realistic and everything was giving off one shot kills… DOD has never been as good as it once was so many years ago… shame :cry: 
November 23, 2006 10:25:32 AM

Yeah I played it right from the start as well. Fond memories of the Hill.
November 23, 2006 11:42:16 AM

Black and White.

Wanted a God game. Got micromanagement. Next!
November 23, 2006 11:43:23 AM

Caesar IV.

Loved Caesar 3. Waited 7 years for a sequel, and... the reviews suck. Not even bought it. Gutted. Next!
November 23, 2006 11:44:59 AM

Need For Speed: Underground.

NFS3 was great fun, NFS:p orsche was excellent. Underground was cheesy, reptitive and dull. Only redeeming factors were a great soundtrack and being able to cutomise the car. Next!
November 30, 2006 9:54:34 AM

Quote:
unreal tournament 2003 and on. i loved unreal tournament, very crisp and edgy feeling. ut2003 was too cartoony

Yeah, 2003 was like a beta for 2004. I haven't played much of 2004 but it seemed good... but that was probably up against 2003.
November 30, 2006 9:32:13 PM

Quote:
Heh, the only baseball related video game I ever enjoyed was a fun little thing on the NES called Basewars.

It didn't even pretend to have realism. If it was at all close when someone tagged you out, you could beat them up and stay safe. All the players were robots that could be upgraded with various equipment and weapons. It was fun.... but the reason it was fun wasn't because it was baseball.

I love Basewars. I used to rent it every time I went to my cousin's house as a kid. I loved remote controlling the pitch.

But I didn't love Halo, on Xbox or PC. That was my biggest disappointment. Didn't anyone else see the E3 trailer before it was released? The Covenant had their own language and the disk had an ecosystem with animals. (Honestly, can you have plants without animals?) Then Bungie killed all that rushed it out for launch.

Did anyone ever play Oni, Bungie's previous game? I liked that game because it didn't try to be a blockbuster and had some originality. But PC Gamer had this to say about it (not an exact quote): "Cons: The level design consists of one cube connected to another cube by a tube." Well, what does that sound like? Exactly. Heck, even the outdoor levels were a wide open area connected to another wide open area by a pass. Did they think having a small building in the middle of some areas would mix things up?

The plot was disappointing. They spent years reading the best sci-fi and came up with this? After running through Halo in eight hours I couldn't remember a single significant plot point. The surprise twist in the middle would have meant something if it actually mattered. Did you ever hear the saying, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend?" Well, that didn't mean a thing in Halo until the sequel came out.

The character interaction was non-existant. Why should I care what happens to the men following me when their death does nothing to my character but leave him on his own? Oh, how I longed for the days when I'd risk everything to try and save a scientist from a giant tentacle creature or a security guard from a ceiling-hanging barnacle in Black Mesa because I actually cared when they screamed. Basically, Halo was all about MC, the lamest hero with the lamest name ever.

The graphics were clean but lacked flair. If it was inside it was flat and grey, blue, or purple. If it was outside it was bumpy and grey, green, or brown. That about sums it up.

The sound and music were good.

All in all, it was nothing more than a tech demo that I had to pay for. As far as I'm concerned, Halo 2 was the first in a two parter.

It's funny, but I almost expected it to be disappointing. I got the Xbox on launch day and tried to decide between Halo and Oddworld. I almost convinced myself to go with Oddworld when I decided I had enough money for both. To this day, I'm glad I got Oddworld, but I've never had fun with Halo.

Thanks for giving me a place to rant.
November 30, 2006 9:57:52 PM

Quote:
Need For Speed: Underground.

NFS3 was great fun, NFS:p orsche was excellent. Underground was cheesy, reptitive and dull. Only redeeming factors were a great soundtrack and being able to cutomise the car. Next!

Hey, Josie Maran was in it! Although, they gave her bad outfits and cell shaded her. Okay, not so much of a plus anymore. I agree, it was lame. I was looking forward to it as well. Glad I played the demo without buying it.
March 30, 2007 6:43:44 PM

Quote:
Command & Conquer: Generals:

I used to be a big RTS fan ever since the first release of C&C on the original Play Station. So of course when I first heard about this game coming out I though, wow I can’t wait. So I did wait and wait and until it then finally came out and fizzled in my hands while I sat there and cried saying “This is the same old regular C&C in 3D” I mean was I wrong to expect some new game play features in a 3D version or should I have expected the exact same game in 3D?

(I have never gotten in to an RTS since)

That's because if you play an RTS on a console which many including myself consider blasphemy since unless you play one on a PC you have never played one so get in the game, sorry if that seems personally insulting it's not I just want to insult companies that actually think they can make an RTS for a console.

Ok sorry for the rant but I'm gonna go with Halo, it's just everyone says it was one of the best shooters ever, and even today I'd rather play the original wolfenstien 3d.
March 31, 2007 4:50:56 PM

Supreme Commander

Every other game other than what wolfy's got up, I stayed away from.

It ran like crap on day 1, with the NVIDIA BSOD 1/3 of the time I start up the game, to the sound issues, yea.. play with /nosound till we fix this.. to releasing a patch that had issues, since only 0.5% of games are 8 players, we're giving this patch anyway that will crash an 8 player game.. on occasion. They seemed to have fixed the issues, but I just don't have the time to check.
April 2, 2007 5:29:05 PM

Don't you guys know... there aren't bad games, just bad players. :wink:
April 2, 2007 5:32:38 PM

Quote:

I take it you never played Battlecruiser 3000AD? :lol: 
April 2, 2007 9:02:33 PM

Quote:

I have heard of it... so long ago.. sounds fun! Battlecruisers are awesome!

Quote:
"Battlecruiser Operational"
"Shields up, weapons online."
"Not equipped with shields? Well than buckle up!"
"I got to go, number 1."

And VBdude, I have that PC Gamer somewhere with the Oni review, I think it was just 1 page, the game looked bad imo, also there was some funny stickmen pics compared to oni, something with the dumb AI and invisible walls, and clunky controls, I think it was for Oni..
April 3, 2007 11:58:21 AM

Quote:

I have heard of it... so long ago.. sounds fun! Battlecruisers are awesome!

Not in this case. It was the most horrible, buggy, lame excuse for a title I've ever had the misfortune to attempt to play. Even the tutorial mission crashed at the second event.
April 3, 2007 5:04:03 PM

Quote:
And VBdude, I have that PC Gamer somewhere with the Oni review, I think it was just 1 page, the game looked bad imo, also there was some funny stickmen pics compared to oni, something with the dumb AI and invisible walls, and clunky controls, I think it was for Oni..

I recycled all my back issues recently (seven years worth) so I can't look up what your reffering to.

Oni wasn't a bad game, but not great either. I'd have given it a 7 out of 10. It helped that it didn't cost me much. I got it in some kind of "Action Pack" that came with four other games (FAKK2, Myth 2, Rune, and Serious Sam). The whole thing was on clearance, so I think I got all five games for $5 total.

I don't know how well any of those games would hold up today, but at the time (2002 when I bought it) they were all decent. Not too boring, not too bland, and not a lot of bugs. At least the for three I installed.
April 4, 2007 5:16:13 PM

I had a computer with the min reqs, I tried running the demo, but it wasn't even running as fast as a slideshow, so i never tried the full version.
April 4, 2007 11:41:13 PM

Lords of the Realm 3.

I loved LoTR 2 (I still play it as a change of pace). LotR 3 is the worst followup in history IMO. I looked forward to that game so much; I was ecstatic when it finally came out. I spent parts of three days with it before tossing it into the corner.

Other high profile games that disappointed me personally:

NWN (I'll probably get flamed for daring to say that, as usual)

The remake of Pirates! - I tried hard to get into it but I only played 2 or so careers before I got bored. Haven't payed since those first few days after I bought it.

Asheron's Call 2 - I spent so many hours on AC it would be scary to know the exact amount. AC2 didn't live up to AC at all.

I got MoO3 in a bargain bin in a hardware store for 99 cents.
For that price it was ok. Glad I didn't pay more.
April 5, 2007 12:21:54 AM

I hate Liner Games. Why it always the same if you restart.

I wish they had more Nonliner Games where you can do what you want and not have to worrie about doing one thing the same.
April 5, 2007 12:30:23 AM

Oh, Neverwinter Nights was pure refined crap.
Or at least the prepackaged campaign was.

I've heard that there are a lot of fun modules that the fanbase has put together, but the first and only impression it had the chance to leave was that of the game itself, which was annoyingly predicatable, horribly scripted, and tediously unfun.

I don't know how anyone ever got enjoyment out of it other than through fan made modules.
April 5, 2007 12:56:53 AM

I could never get intosingleplayer NWN, but I've had over 3 years of consistent fun playing online at www.worldofcaenyr.com

It's pretty much my addicting online game of choice. I've had no desire t ever buy into pay-per-month MMOs because I can get my NWN fix.
April 5, 2007 1:01:15 AM

STALKER could make this list real soon if it doesn't turn things around pretty quickly. This game is reminding me a lot of Doom 3.
April 5, 2007 1:37:56 PM

Quote:
I hate Liner Games. Why it always the same if you restart.

I wish they had more Nonliner Games where you can do what you want and not have to worrie about doing one thing the same.

Fallout or Arcanum for you then
June 26, 2007 12:21:02 PM

I'm sure there are still quite a few CIV fans out there, and I was one of them. I loved CIV2, it was a near- perfect sequel to the original CIV and even 11 years on, I still crank it out frequently. I gave up after playing 15 minutes of Civilization III.

I never really felt "in" the game, as I did with CIVII, alot of my characters were automated and realism was thrown out the window (come on, who's seen a spearman take out a naval cruser?) The graphics were nice but these games are about content and replayability, not fancy art. So, Civilization III was my biggest dissapointment in those regards.

CIV 4 is a alot more enjoyable though, it **just** resotred my faith in Firaxis
June 26, 2007 1:35:38 PM

The lastest Star Trek game release (I even forgot the name) was a huge disapointment for all Star Trek fans.

We were hoping for a good ST simulator but ended up with an arcade-like shoot-them-up thingy ported from a console.

Since first ST series, this year is probably the worst ever as far as Star Trek movies/series/games go.
June 27, 2007 3:45:17 PM

Quote:
Lords of the Realm 3.

Same, I love Lords of the Realm2 it was a great game and is still fun to play somtimes, but what were they thinking with Lords3 I played it for a few hours but just could not get into that game.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest