ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Hi all,
In exploring the net onmy new computer I have found reference to suitability/unsuitability for XP 64 Bit.

One instance I remember and had me wondering was in reference to Windows Explorer.

How do I know if I have 64 bit?
Do I want it?
Have I missed out on something?

Cheers Ray.

Ray wrote:
> In exploring the net onmy new computer I have found reference to
> suitability/unsuitability for XP 64 Bit.
>
> One instance I remember and had me wondering was in reference to
> Windows Explorer.
>
> How do I know if I have 64 bit?
> Do I want it?
> Have I missed out on something?

Do you have a 64bit processor?
Did you purchase a 64bit version of Windows XP?
Did you download a "test" edition of a 64bit version of Windows XP?

If you answered "No" to all of those things in reference to your computer,
you have 32bit Windows XP.
(It's even easier to answer if you have Home Edition... It only comes in
32bit.)

--
<- Shenan ->

You do indeed seem to have missed out on something,
althought the deficiency seems to innate.

Hi Ray,

You don't have 64 bit. If you did, you would know it. 64 bit systems are
something fairly new, and are not something being distributed by the major
manufacturers for home use (at least not yet).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> In exploring the net onmy new computer I have found reference to
suitability/unsuitability for XP 64 Bit.

> One instance I remember and had me wondering was in reference to Windows
Explorer.

> How do I know if I have 64 bit?
> Do I want it?
> Have I missed out on something?
>
> Cheers Ray.

Rick;

Currently there are many 64 bit desktop and laptop machines available for
home use from HP, Compaq, Emachines, etc. I suggest you visit your local
computer store and update yourself on what is available.

Bobby

> Hi Ray,
>
> You don't have 64 bit. If you did, you would know it. 64 bit systems are
> something fairly new, and are not something being distributed by the major
> manufacturers for home use (at least not yet).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
> Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> In exploring the net onmy new computer I have found reference to
> suitability/unsuitability for XP 64 Bit.
>>
>> One instance I remember and had me wondering was in reference to Windows
> Explorer.
>>
>> How do I know if I have 64 bit?
>> Do I want it?
>> Have I missed out on something?
>>
>> Cheers Ray.

Yep, guess there are. I pay little to what's available from the major
manufacturers lately. Thanks for pointing it out.

--

"NoNoBadDog!" <nospam_bjsledge@pixi.com> wrote in message
> Rick;
>
> Currently there are many 64 bit desktop and laptop machines available for
> home use from HP, Compaq, Emachines, etc. I suggest you visit your local
> computer store and update yourself on what is available.
>
> Bobby

> > Hi Ray,
> >
> > You don't have 64 bit. If you did, you would know it. 64 bit systems are
> > something fairly new, and are not something being distributed by the
major
> > manufacturers for home use (at least not yet).
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,
> >
> > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
> > Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi all,
> >> In exploring the net onmy new computer I have found reference to
> > suitability/unsuitability for XP 64 Bit.
> >>
> >> One instance I remember and had me wondering was in reference to
Windows
> > Explorer.
> >>
> >> How do I know if I have 64 bit?
> >> Do I want it?
> >> Have I missed out on something?
> >>
> >> Cheers Ray.

I have an AMD 64 Athlon 3200+ proccser. I only use my pc for playin games surfin the internet shoukd i download th e64bit windows?

Thanks

It is Beta.
So if you are willing to reinstall the computer if something goes
wrong and the time limitation is not an issue, go ahead.

See the 64 bid newsgroups for more information:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/