HD space allocation

Using windows XP
How would I allocate the room on my hard drive between my program space and
my free space.

You would need to acquire a 3rd party partition manager such as Partition
Magic, in order to make changes on your hard drive without losing programs
already installed.

"BarbaraMN" <NOschissel@SPAMattNO.net> wrote in message
> Using windows XP
> How would I allocate the room on my hard drive between my program space
and
> my free space.

pop

I don't have an answer, but, being the curious sort: Why
do you want to do that and what is the benefit? I don't
recall ever hearing of doing that before.
Regards,
Pop

"BarbaraMN" <NOschissel@SPAMattNO.net> wrote in message
> Using windows XP
> How would I allocate the room on my hard drive between my
program space and
> my free space.

Hi, Barbara.

Are you asking how to do it (which tools to use)? Or how much space to
allocate to each one?

If you have free space, outside any existing partition, then you can use the
built-in tool Disk Management. Or, if you have partitions other than the
system partition or boot volume, you can delete one or more of those and
create new ones in that space. At the Run prompt, type: diskmgmt.msc.
Even if you don't use it for this particular project, you certainly should
get familiar with this utility, because it can be used to create, delete and
format partitions and logical drives, and to reassign drive letters. Also,
the Help file explains some concepts that PC users have been wondering about
for years.

Disk Management will create and delete partitions, as I said, but it cannot
resize a partition, either larger or smaller. To do that, you will need a
third-party tool, such as Partition Magic ($70, recently acquired by
Symantec).

As to how much space for each function, that depends on how YOU use YOUR
computer. It also depends on just how much disk space you have available -
10 GB? 300 GB? Do you mostly just use email? Are you a program developer?
Are you a movie maker or a graphics designer? Tell us more about what you
do (since there's no way for us to know, otherwise) and we can give you some
suggestions. Be warned, though, that this can be an endless discussion with
no clear resolution. In the end, YOU decide.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX