temp files

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Why can some temp files not be deleted. I go to search and check *.tmp and
300 files come up but I can only delete maybe 20.
Any Idea why.
Some are WRC0664, WRC50001, WER1485.tmp, WER7.tmp, msdownld.tmp etc and many
more.
Thanks
Bruce

--
If God is your Co-Pilot,
Maybe you had better switch seats!

In news:eP6PYhBSEHA.3344@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Bruce Lawrence <blaray1@msn.com> typed:

> Why can some temp files not be deleted. I go to search and
check
> *.tmp and 300 files come up but I can only delete maybe 20.
> Any Idea why.
> Some are WRC0664, WRC50001, WER1485.tmp, WER7.tmp, msdownld.tmp
etc
> and many more.

Check their date and time. It they are current, it's because the
files are in use. Windows will not let you delete open files.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Bruce,

They may be in use.
Any error messages??

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:eP6PYhBSEHA.3344@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Bruce Lawrence <blaray1@msn.com> hunted and pecked:
> Why can some temp files not be deleted. I go to search and check
> *.tmp and 300 files come up but I can only delete maybe 20.
> Any Idea why.
> Some are WRC0664, WRC50001, WER1485.tmp, WER7.tmp, msdownld.tmp etc
> and many more.
> Thanks
> Bruce
>
> --
> If God is your Co-Pilot,
> Maybe you had better switch seats!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Is it safe to delete all files that is found in the temp folder if it is not
currently being used? Such as .exe files. Thanks

"Bruce Lawrence" <blaray1@msn.com> wrote in message
> Why can some temp files not be deleted. I go to search and check *.tmp and
> 300 files come up but I can only delete maybe 20.
> Any Idea why.
> Some are WRC0664, WRC50001, WER1485.tmp, WER7.tmp, msdownld.tmp etc and
many
> more.
> Thanks
> Bruce
>
> --
> If God is your Co-Pilot,
> Maybe you had better switch seats!

---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Phyllis,

It may depend on what the file(s) is/are.
What do you have there?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:eXPWHxMSEHA.1644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Phyllis <prh_46@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Is it safe to delete all files that is found in the temp folder if it
> is not currently being used? Such as .exe files. Thanks
>
> "Bruce Lawrence" <blaray1@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Why can some temp files not be deleted. I go to search and check
>> *.tmp and 300 files come up but I can only delete maybe 20.
>> Any Idea why.
>> Some are WRC0664, WRC50001, WER1485.tmp, WER7.tmp, msdownld.tmp etc
>> and many more.
>> Thanks
>> Bruce
>>
>> --
>> If God is your Co-Pilot,
>> Maybe you had better switch seats!
>>

> ---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

folder named _wa3sktmp
folder named Wzs92d1.tmp
~ep4396.cmd
~ep72D1.cmd
control.xml
Glb1a2b.exe
setup_wm.exe
Setwz.dll
unwise.exe
ZLT01f9b.TMP
ZLTo227d.TMP
~df58c4.tmp

I know everything that ends in .tmp can be deleted except when in use, but
what about the other files, especially the .exe ones.

> Phyllis,
>
> It may depend on what the file(s) is/are.
> What do you have there?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:eXPWHxMSEHA.1644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Phyllis <prh_46@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Is it safe to delete all files that is found in the temp folder if it
> > is not currently being used? Such as .exe files. Thanks
> >
> > "Bruce Lawrence" <blaray1@msn.com> wrote in message
> >> Why can some temp files not be deleted. I go to search and check
> >> *.tmp and 300 files come up but I can only delete maybe 20.
> >> Any Idea why.
> >> Some are WRC0664, WRC50001, WER1485.tmp, WER7.tmp, msdownld.tmp etc
> >> and many more.
> >> Thanks
> >> Bruce
> >>
> >> --
> >> If God is your Co-Pilot,
> >> Maybe you had better switch seats!
> >>

> > ---

---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Phyllis,

Hang 'em, hang 'em high. :)

Get rid of all of 'em. setup_wm.exe may be a legit program, so you may not
be able to delete it. It's the Microsoft Windows Media Configuration
Utility. It starts every time you open WMP. If it is the real program it
should be in
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player
and
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Any file that starts with a tilde (~) is a temporary file, MS Word creates a
lot of these, though they are usually deleted unless Word crashes or is
closed improperly.

Glb1a2b.exe may be spyware or a virus.

ZLT01f9b.TMP and ZLTo227d.TMP are Zone Alarm log files. One will be in
use, the other one can be deleted. You have to delete to find out which is
which.

When you go to delete these files, don't highlight all of them at one time.
You are going to get warnings about one or more being in use. Do a few at a
time, it's easier that way.

Have fun!!! ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:u$zW3HPSEHA.1568@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Phyllis <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> folder named _wa3sktmp
> folder named Wzs92d1.tmp
> ~ep4396.cmd
> ~ep72D1.cmd
> control.xml
> Glb1a2b.exe
> setup_wm.exe
> Setwz.dll
> unwise.exe
> ZLT01f9b.TMP
> ZLTo227d.TMP
> ~df58c4.tmp
>
> I know everything that ends in .tmp can be deleted except when in
> use, but what about the other files, especially the .exe ones.

>> Phyllis,
>>
>> It may depend on what the file(s) is/are.
>> What do you have there?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:eXPWHxMSEHA.1644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Phyllis <prh_46@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Is it safe to delete all files that is found in the temp folder if
>>> it is not currently being used? Such as .exe files. Thanks
>>>
>>> "Bruce Lawrence" <blaray1@msn.com> wrote in message

>>> ---
>

> ---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I have run AVG scan and also bitdefender online virus scan and it found no
viruses. I also ran Adware today and it found nothing so hopefully I am OK
with all that. I will delete all those files. Thanks so much for all the
helpful info.

> Phyllis,
>
> Hang 'em, hang 'em high. :)
>
> Get rid of all of 'em. setup_wm.exe may be a legit program, so you may
not
> be able to delete it. It's the Microsoft Windows Media Configuration
> Utility. It starts every time you open WMP. If it is the real program it
> should be in
> C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player
> and
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
>
> Any file that starts with a tilde (~) is a temporary file, MS Word creates
> lot of these, though they are usually deleted unless Word crashes or is
> closed improperly.
>
> Glb1a2b.exe may be spyware or a virus.
>
> ZLT01f9b.TMP and ZLTo227d.TMP are Zone Alarm log files. One will be in
> use, the other one can be deleted. You have to delete to find out which
is
> which.
>
> When you go to delete these files, don't highlight all of them at one
time.
> You are going to get warnings about one or more being in use. Do a few at
> time, it's easier that way.
>
> Have fun!!! ;-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:u$zW3HPSEHA.1568@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> Phyllis <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > folder named _wa3sktmp
> > folder named Wzs92d1.tmp
> > ~ep4396.cmd
> > ~ep72D1.cmd
> > control.xml
> > Glb1a2b.exe
> > setup_wm.exe
> > Setwz.dll
> > unwise.exe
> > ZLT01f9b.TMP
> > ZLTo227d.TMP
> > ~df58c4.tmp
> >
> > I know everything that ends in .tmp can be deleted except when in
> > use, but what about the other files, especially the .exe ones.
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Phyllis,
> >>
> >> It may depend on what the file(s) is/are.
> >> What do you have there?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >> Wes
> >>
> >> In news:eXPWHxMSEHA.1644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> >> Phyllis <prh_46@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

> > ---

---

Phyllis wrote:

> Is it safe to delete all files that is found in the temp folder if it is not
> currently being used? Such as .exe files. Thanks

Yes.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Phyllis,

Keep AVG and Adaware up to date. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:OQg1LyRSEHA.3444@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Phyllis <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have run AVG scan and also bitdefender online virus scan and it
> found no viruses. I also ran Adware today and it found nothing so
> hopefully I am OK with all that. I will delete all those files.
> Thanks so much for all the helpful info.

>> Phyllis,
>>
>> Hang 'em, hang 'em high. :)
>>
>> Get rid of all of 'em. setup_wm.exe may be a legit program, so you
>> may not be able to delete it. It's the Microsoft Windows Media
>> Configuration Utility. It starts every time you open WMP. If it is
>> the real program it should be in
>> C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player
>> and
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
>>
>> Any file that starts with a tilde (~) is a temporary file, MS Word
>> creates a lot of these, though they are usually deleted unless Word
>> crashes or is closed improperly.
>>
>> Glb1a2b.exe may be spyware or a virus.
>>
>> ZLT01f9b.TMP and ZLTo227d.TMP are Zone Alarm log files. One will
>> be in use, the other one can be deleted. You have to delete to find
>> out which is which.
>>
>> When you go to delete these files, don't highlight all of them at
>> one time. You are going to get warnings about one or more being in
>> use. Do a few at a time, it's easier that way.
>>
>> Have fun!!! ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes