da_guvna

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
I am considering getting ADSL, and sharing the connection with another computer in the household that is practically too far away to wire up (without causing considerable hassle). I was looking into wireless ADSL routers, however, they really are beyond my price range, so I was wondering:

If I connected one pc to the ADSL modem, and then set up a wireless network so that I could connect the other pc to the internet through the ADSL pc, would I notice a deterioration in speed?

My friend has tried this on a normal wired network, and his connection is really bad, alsmost halved or worse, but I'm not sure if that is due to the way his sharing is set up, or his lack of technical ability.

Please help, thanks.

da_guvna

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
Yeah, but are they each connected directly to the modem themseleves, or do they all connect to the modem through one computer? This is what I'm unsure about.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I connect cable modem to my server and connection all computer to switch. I use All Aboard to sharing the internet connection.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
maybe his computer was probly just slow. ics a dsl connection takes its toll on a slow computer. especialy if the modem or nic is usb.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal