MSI 645 Ultra - Something fell off

palexc

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2001
I've got an MSI 645 Ultra with 1 ATA66 HD installed, a zip drive, and 2 CD-ROM's.

I just transferred my guts into a shiny new Lian Li Case, when I unscrewed the motherboard, a small cylindar um...rolled off of it. After close examination, there's only 2 possible spots it could go.

However, everything seems to be working fine. My only issue is that during POST, when it scans the IDE busses, either during or after it detects the primary master, it takes about 15-20 seconds, where everything used to be instantaneous.

Any reason why it would do this?

tomcruise

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
I used to have the same problem with this board. It turned out to be that I set the jumper on the hard drive wrong. On my western digital disk, it marks jumper position as MA, SL and CLS. I had single hard drive, so I set jumper at MA position. It took half minute to detect the drive. It turned out that MA is really for mater drive with slave existing. For single master, there is no jumper needed. I guess different manufacture may have different meaning for master and single drive. Check your hard drive manual to make sure the correct setting.

palexc

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2001
Yeah, problem is I bought it back in December, I don't know if it's covered. Everything seems to be running fine.

Before this happened, occasionally it would freeze on the Win2K splash screen while booting. Could it be that capacitor was loose and causing problems all along?