Win98 only reports 65 meg of ram!?

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
I have a system with Windows 98 which has 256 meg of ram installed. When it boots, it tests and shows 256 meg of ram. Once Windows has loaded, if I right click on 'My Computer' it only shows 65 meg of ram. I had put in one stick of 256, then I tried 2 sticks of 128. Same outcome. Any ideas? Windows patch or motherboard patch? It is a FIC motherboard.

Is there any other way to determine if Windows is using more than the 65 meg of ram?

Thanks.

:lol: => :smile: => :tongue: => :wink:

delpart

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
You're going to have to find out if your BIOS and motherboard support over 64Mb of RAM. Just because it counts it doesn't necessarily mean that it sees it.

en Xristos

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably the memory is too high a density to be read properly by the chipset. Check the FAQ post in the Memory forum. Also check <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=50822#50822" target="_new">THIS RELATED POST</A>. I'm guessing that your memory is 4 chip, or that you're using a VX chipset with 16-chip memory. If the later is true, you're lucky it's giving you 64MB instead of 32MB.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>