question about hdd leds and dipswitches...

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
I recently built a computer for my girlfriend using the ga-7vrxp from gigabyte. (Yes, I know about the huge gigabyte thread. This isn't that kind of problem.) there are two things I was wondering... 1. there's a dipswitch on the board that switches the chipset fsb from 100 to 133. the default setting is 100. Shouldn't it be set to 133? That's the bus of the chip, right? I've set it to 133 so far and have had no problems with the machine, but I don't want to find out later that I've been slowly over-taxing her chip and then killed it.
2. When I plugged in the hdd led on the mobo, I had difficulty determining which lead was the + and which the -. The first way I plugged it in, no hdd led light. Then I reversed it and now it's always on, but doesn't ever blink or flash, even if the drive is being hit. What could I be doing wrong?

Anyway, even if you don't know specifically about this board, any help is appreciated, even if it's just a link to a site that might talk about these issues. And please, don't post things like, "that board sucks. exchange it." because other than one minor problem, her board works fine. thanks.

<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
1) 133 is the correct setting.

2) Interesting. One of the 2 ways should have done the trick. Are you sure you didn't put it on the wrong pins (e.g. it should have gone on horizontally instead of vertically)?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
Yeah, I'm dead certain that they're the right pins. Otherwise, I don't think it'd light at all, and I was doing it with the manual open next to me and constantly rechecking it, and also making sure that the mobo markings agreed with the manual's diagram. It might, I suppose, be the case's leads that are the problem. It might also be that the pins are mislabeled on the board and in the manual. My Asus A7m266-D had the keyboard lock pins incorrectly labeled as the hdd led's in the manual and on the board so that when I went to try to install Windows, as soon as it accessed the hard drive the keyboard locked out and I couldn't do anything but hard reset. That was fun.

1) 133 is the correct setting.

2) Interesting. One of the 2 ways should have done the trick. Are you sure you didn't put it on the wrong pins (e.g. it should have gone on horizontally instead of vertically)?

It's always the one thing you never suspected.
<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>

Rainchill

Distinguished
May 4, 2002
I've had that exact same hdd led problem on several computers with completely different setups. It works for a few weeks, dead for a few weeks, on for a few weeks. If I were you and everything worked just fine I wouldn't worry about it. Unless for some odd reason you have to have that light working...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rainchill on 07/08/02 08:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>