Bios Beeping

Xaos

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
Last week I picked up a Gigabyte GA-7ZXE (Via 133a chipset)to build a system for my father. 4 or 5 times now, the computer has locked-up in the POST with a series of non-stop short beeps. Yanking the cord is the only thing that shuts it up. Outside of that, the system seems rock solid. Obviously something is up, and my gut feeling is the board itself. Any ideas?

Here's the specs (yeah, they're hurtin lol):
Gigabyte GA-7ZXE
Duron 1000
256 MB PC 133 RAM
SoundBlaster 16 PCI
2 MB PCI Video Card
Generic 300WT P/S
1.5 + 4.3 Hard Drives
8x HP Burner
Win 2000 Pro

Give me Convenience or Give me Death!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
*slaps forehead and sighs* another Gigasuck problem...alright, let's start from the top. Bad power supply? Try testing another one. I'd guess that ? of PC problems are a poor or weak power supply. (300 watts doesn't always cut it). Check your temperatures, and your heatsink mount, overheating will shut down your PC after a certain point (90 degress I think). Otherwise, check your power management inside windows, your ram...it goes on. Worst case scenario, barebones the system, only running the necesaries, then slowly add parts till you find a conflict

"When there's a will, there's a way."

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey X,

Find out what Bios & version your mobo has & go online to the Bios chip makers website, for the beep codes. Good Luck

Peace Out...............tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeees. try to work out the beep codes!

here is a short guide for you :smile:
short beeps - you are screwed!
long beeps - you are really screwed!!!
no beeps - its sooo hosed it cant even beep!
LOL

Proud owner of the <b>Beige Beast</b> :lol:

delpart

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
I agree with the post that says to check the beep codes. Usually a series of short beeps means a memory error. This usually results when the memory isn't seated correctly. Make sure the clips are holding the memory all the way and the memory cards are straight in the sockets.

en Xristos

Xaos

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
Thanks for the help (the analysis of beep codes was especially insightful lol). Insofar as the beep codes go, there is no answer on Ami's website for anything over 11 short beeps. This thing will beep all night if you let it. It's a bitch to diagnose simply because it does it so randomly and more often than not the next boot will be fine. In fact, it hasn't done it at all last night and all today.

Yep...Dad wanted cheap, Dad got cheap. You get what you pay for I guess.

Give me Convenience or Give me Death!

Jes12345

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I would have to say that if the beeps are constant short beeps then check your CPU and HSF. Usually other BIOS beep codes are in a pattern like 2-1-1, 3-4-3, 7-2-3 etc. If memory was the issue you would get any number of beeps (over 5 I think), but they would be in a pattern to tell you which type of parity error your getting.

:smile: <font color=red>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do! :wink: <font color=black> Think outside the box!