DOWNLOAD/INSTALL

Hello
I'm a "newbie" to pc's and to Windows XP
Hope someone can take time to help me with a couple of problems
I had save some programs on CD's. All of the applications appear with the exe icon.
When I try to reinstall a particular program from my CD's, it won't install.
It ACTIVATES the program and runs it (if the CD is not in the tray, it says to insert the CD)
After an attemp to install the program, The icon on the desktop states "shortcut to (any program)"
I have tried transferring the program to the C: Program Files, but the same thing happens when I click on it there.
How do I actually INSTALL the program back to the pc
Also, with Icons, some of the programs installed show a particular graphic icon, containing 2 or 3 tabs with the icon.
Some icons are just the generic looking icons.
On some, that show more than just the one page, I can go to the 2nd tab and have the opton of changing the icon.
On the generic icons, I do not have any other tabs that would allow me to change the icons.
I hope someone can help me with these problems.
Thanks
Gloria

gloria,

you usally install a program by double clicking on install.exe or setup.exe.
the computer will then install the program and place it in its proper
folder.