I am about to build a new PC for the first time in five years. I will be
using XP for the first time and will also be using a new SATA hard drive.
Through using google, I have ascertained that I need to have the mobo's SATA
driver on a floppy disk ready to install at the F6 prompt. However, I am
under the impression that the hard drive needs to have been partitioned
and/or formatted prior to this. Can this be done by using a winME start-up
disk and later converting the disk to ntfs format? Or can this all be done
by the XP set-up?

Set your BIOS to boot from CD. Put the XP CD in the drive. Boot from the
CD and use WinXP to partition and format the drive using NTFS.

Tip: Many people find XP installation goes smoother on a bare-bones system
(mobo, CD, hard drive, video card, and nothing else). Personally, I disable
on-board sound, lan, and modem in the BIOS until after I have XP running and
get the mobo drivers installed.

steve

"Jayzero" <jayzero@_REMOVE_TO_REPLY_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am about to build a new PC for the first time in five years. I will be
> using XP for the first time and will also be using a new SATA hard drive.
> Through using google, I have ascertained that I need to have the mobo's
SATA
> driver on a floppy disk ready to install at the F6 prompt. However, I am
> under the impression that the hard drive needs to have been partitioned
> and/or formatted prior to this. Can this be done by using a winME
start-up
> disk and later converting the disk to ntfs format? Or can this all be done
> by the XP set-up?

Byte

In additon to jousts's advice, recommend you have no external
peripherals connected, such as printers, scanners, digital cameras, etc.
Just your mouse and keyboard and speakers.

Thank you both for your help.

"Byte" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In additon to jousts's advice, recommend you have no external
> peripherals connected, such as printers, scanners, digital cameras, etc.
> Just your mouse and keyboard and speakers.

---

> Thank you both for your help.
>

> "Byte" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In additon to jousts's advice, recommend you have no external
> > peripherals connected, such as printers, scanners, digital cameras, etc.
> > Just your mouse and keyboard and speakers.
>

> ---

You are welcome,
steve