voltage question...

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
My motherboard came with software (asus pcprobe) that monitors temps, voltages, fan speeds, etc. By default it doesn't warn me about voltages unless they are more than 10% off the mark. Well one of them (3.3V) hovers between 2.96 and 2.976. 2.96 is just outside of 10% (but less than 11%) and 2.976 is just inside 10%. My question is that if this could damage my motherboard in some way. I have a 420watt turbolink ps (kind of a no name but I figured that since it was rated at 420watts and I wasn't going to be really pushing it it would be fine.)
other specs:
asus A7V333
athlon XP 1800+
asus geforce ti 4400
GTXP soundcard
60 gig West Digital hard drive (7200)
asus cd drive
plextor cdrw drive
512MB PC2700 CAS2.0 OCZ ram
some D-link NIC
I really don't want to have to replace this psu but at the same time I don't want to destroy any of my components....any help/guidence would be appreciated. Thanks.

*** :cool: Duff Man says a lot of things, OH YEAH!!! :cool: ***

delpart

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
If you have a multimeter, remove the PS and see what the no load voltages read. Before you do, make sure all the connectors are plugged in all the way and all board jumpers are set correctly, and all your cards are seated. Undervoltage can be damaging but usually not to the degree of overvoltage. You will usually not get your computer to work properly.

en Xristos

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
I do not have a multimeter. If my system runs then it must be fine (since I am getting undervoltages instead of overvoltages). Am I correct?

*** :cool: Duff Man says a lot of things, OH YEAH!!! :cool: ***

delpart

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
It may run but DVM's are not that expensive (about $15). Make sure the DVM has an input sensitivity of 20000 Ohms per volt or higher (most DVM's do). If you could find a friend with one good, but you need to measure the voltage. Most PS's operate at less than + or - 2% now a days. The components may not be damaged but the PS can. There could be something loading down the PS voltage. Check your cables and hardware installations. If there is a choice under is better than over but there has to be a reason why either exists. I wouldn't put too much stock in Asus Probe.

en Xristos

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
a couple of things...
1. dont run asusprobe
2. delete asusprobe
3. destroy the asusprobe CD

get the picture? :smile:

analprobe is a notoriously innaccurate piece of garbage mistakenly called software.

i <b>strongly</b> suggest you use another monitoring program. Motherboard Monitor is a good one. freely available online.

Proud owner of the <b>Beige Beast</b> :lol: