Going nuts please help
A DOS like window opens up with '16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem' at the top. I do
not know where it comes from either.

#1 Message is:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

C:\wefds.exe [notice only one backward slash]

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

CS:054f IP:0124 OP:63 65 65 64 65

Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

#2 Message [same time]

Get IUMS

MSDART.DLL

The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSytemRestore could not be
located in the dynamic link library. WINSTA.dll

NOPDB

Error Signature:

szAppName: szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: sdntdrv.dll

szModVer: 7.0.0.24 Offset: 000055e6

Files:

C:\\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER48.tmp.dir00\nopdb.exe.mdmp

C:\\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER48.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe

W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen

C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe

W32.HLLW.Gaobot.5A

C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe

W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen

Thanks for any help
Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I have tried virus software, I think that is what started all the trouble in
the first place . I tried to install Norton SystemWorks 2003 and Norton
Personal Firewall, and they would not run together I was getting error
messages all the time. I even lost drivers and I could not run it in safe
mode,
Should i maybe try Norton system works by itself.
I run AVG everyday because it is free. How do you use it in safe mode
though.
Thanks for all your positive input
Bruce

"Bruce Lawrence" <blaray1@msn.com> wrote in message
Can someone explain the following error codes
I am not sure of the order as i wrote then on sticky notes 6 of them, so a
bit messed up.

#2 Message [same time]

Get IUMS

[...]

Are you familiar with antivirus software? The kind you install on your
computer so that it starts with Windows and runs in the background at all
times? It's a good thing.

Another good thing is Windows Update.

Rocky

"Bruce Lawrence" <blaray1@msn.com> wrote in message
> Can someone explain the following error codes
> I am not sure of the order as i wrote then on sticky notes 6 of them, so a
> bit messed up.
> Going nuts please help
> A DOS like window opens up with '16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem' at the top. I do
> not know where it comes from either.
>
> #1 Message is:
>
> 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
>
> C:\wefds.exe [notice only one backward slash]
>
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>
> CS:054f IP:0124 OP:63 65 65 64 65
>
> Choose 'Close' to terminate the application
>

> #2 Message [same time]
>
> Get IUMS
>
> MSDART.DLL
>
> The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSytemRestore could not be
> located in the dynamic link library. WINSTA.dll
>
> NOPDB
>
> Error Signature:
>
> szAppName: szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: sdntdrv.dll
>
> szModVer: 7.0.0.24 Offset: 000055e6
>
> Files:
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER48.tmp.dir00\nopdb.exe.mdmp
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER48.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe
>
> W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe
>
> W32.HLLW.Gaobot.5A
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe
>
> W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen
>

> Thanks for any help
> Bruce

Dos, now thats a name I have not heard of in many a year,
sad really as the Disc operating system was and is a very
useful tool, however in this case we are not talking
about the DOS of old but about Microsofts subsystem
control code, in this case it appears to have become
corrupted and unable to function, hence the error
messages.

These subroutines usually called up by some remote
control function not really much to do with your efforts
wioth mouse or keys, run in the back ground and cause a
miriade things to happen as and when they should but
tracking down what is the cause is very time consumming
and often does not result in a fix, hoever one procedure
that does fix it is to reinstal XP with a fresh copy,
Howls of protest I hear, No you will not loose your files
and programs in the process, what you will end up with is
a fully functioning copy of XP, unpatched, so you will
need to swith on AUTO UPDATE and let it do it's stuff.

Afte that if you are still getting the problem, it has to
be one of your own progs causing it, My monies on the
windows but if not then uninstall each one in turn and
reload them untill you do not get the problem.

Hope this helps.

Blackjack.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.gaobot.gen.html

W32.HLLW.Gaobot.AO
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.gaobot.ao.html

Update your anti virus software and run a full scan.

Free online virus scans

Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan

Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan

Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:OtgIa9MSEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Bruce Lawrence <blaray1@msn.com> hunted and pecked:
> Can someone explain the following error codes
> I am not sure of the order as i wrote then on sticky notes 6 of them,
> so a bit messed up.
> Going nuts please help
> A DOS like window opens up with '16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem' at the top.
> I do not know where it comes from either.
>
> #1 Message is:
>
> 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
>
> C:\wefds.exe [notice only one backward slash]
>
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>
> CS:054f IP:0124 OP:63 65 65 64 65
>
> Choose 'Close' to terminate the application
>

> #2 Message [same time]
>
> Get IUMS
>
> MSDART.DLL
>
> The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSytemRestore could
> not be located in the dynamic link library. WINSTA.dll
>
> NOPDB
>
> Error Signature:
>
> szAppName: szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: sdntdrv.dll
>
> szModVer: 7.0.0.24 Offset: 000055e6
>
> Files:
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER48.tmp.dir00\nopdb.exe.mdmp
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER48.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe
>
> W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe
>
> W32.HLLW.Gaobot.5A
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe
>
> W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen
>

> Thanks for any help
> Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Bruce

You should update your virus definitions and run full anti-virus scan. If you do not have anti-virus programme installed you can run a free scan from the internet. Try this link:

This link describes the virus you most likely have:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.polybot.html

Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and update Reference file from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
and use it to remove parasites.

Please let us know how you get on.

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update
"Bruce Lawrence" <blaray1@msn.com> wrote in message news:OtgIa9MSEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Can someone explain the following error codes
> I am not sure of the order as i wrote then on sticky notes 6 of them, so a
> bit messed up.
> Going nuts please help
> A DOS like window opens up with '16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem' at the top. I do
> not know where it comes from either.
>
> #1 Message is:
>
> 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
>
> C:\wefds.exe [notice only one backward slash]
>
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>
> CS:054f IP:0124 OP:63 65 65 64 65
>
> Choose 'Close' to terminate the application
>

> #2 Message [same time]
>
> Get IUMS
>
> MSDART.DLL
>
> The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSytemRestore could not be
> located in the dynamic link library. WINSTA.dll
>
> NOPDB
>
> Error Signature:
>
> szAppName: szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: sdntdrv.dll
>
> szModVer: 7.0.0.24 Offset: 000055e6
>
> Files:
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER48.tmp.dir00\nopdb.exe.mdmp
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER48.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe
>
> W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe
>
> W32.HLLW.Gaobot.5A
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe
>
> W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen
>

> Thanks for any help
> Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Bruce,

Starting your computer in Safe mode
http://tinyurl.com/pfca

Make sure AVG is up to date.

AVG Anti-Virus Free edition Updates
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_updt6.php?lng=fe

Scroll way down to:
Which Update do you need?

I just updated mine >>
Program Version : 6.0.698
Virus Database : 455 Release Date : 6/2/2004

Free Firewall
Zone Labs Downloads
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

Click >>
Download FREE ZoneAlarm® (Firewall Protection)

Ignore their (Firewall and Virus Protection)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:evoP89NSEHA.3848@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Bruce Lawrence <blaray1@msn.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have tried virus software, I think that is what started all the
> trouble in the first place . I tried to install Norton SystemWorks
> 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall, and they would not run together I
> was getting error messages all the time. I even lost drivers and I
> could not run it in safe mode,
> Should i maybe try Norton system works by itself.
> I run AVG everyday because it is free. How do you use it in safe mode
> though.
> Thanks for all your positive input
> Bruce
>

> "Bruce Lawrence" <blaray1@msn.com> wrote in message
> Can someone explain the following error codes
> I am not sure of the order as i wrote then on sticky notes 6 of them,
> so a bit messed up.
> Going nuts please help
> A DOS like window opens up with '16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem' at the top.
> I do not know where it comes from either.
>
> #1 Message is:
>
> 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
>
> C:\wefds.exe [notice only one backward slash]
>
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>
> CS:054f IP:0124 OP:63 65 65 64 65
>
> Choose 'Close' to terminate the application
>

> #2 Message [same time]
>
> Get IUMS
>
> MSDART.DLL
>
> The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSytemRestore could
> not be located in the dynamic link library. WINSTA.dll
>
> NOPDB
>
> Error Signature:
>
> szAppName: szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: sdntdrv.dll
>
> szModVer: 7.0.0.24 Offset: 000055e6
>
> Files:
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER48.tmp.dir00\nopdb.exe.mdmp
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER48.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe
>
> W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe
>
> W32.HLLW.Gaobot.5A
>
> C:\\WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe
>
> W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen
>

> Thanks for any help
> Bruce

Again, & for whatever it's worth [ & god knows , i'm no
techie], this was my experience..My AV softrware started
malfunctioning [Mcafee]..constantly relaoding, stopping &
starting,etc. I was also having several other symptoms i
won't bore you with . I uninstalled & reinstalled McAfee
twice,..same deal.No go. I tried installing Norton. I
couldn't even get That one to fully innstall. After a lot
of checking & troubleshooting, I discovered that the
Gaobat worm had innfected my system was sabotaging my AV
program & prohibiting me from installing new AV software
as well as generally wreaking havoc.

Before I discovered the infection, I wasn't even able to
access a number of homepages for well-known AV software.
I tried numerous online virus scans, but they failed to
load the ActiveX required to run the scan . After several
unsuccessful attempts at using an online scan, I was
FINALLY able to use the Panda one. It identified 2
versions of the W32 Gaobot worm & cleaned them. After
that , I was able to install AV software with no problem
Moreover, several other problems disappeared.

That's my experience with this particular worm. I ,too,
thought my AV program was the issue, but it was the
symptom, not the disease . Gaobot was the disease.
Anyway, that's my tale of woe. Good luck !

malfunctioning [Mcafee]..constantly reloading, stopping &
starting,etc. I was also having several other symptoms i
won't bore you with . I uninstalled & reinstalled McAfee
twice,..same deal.No go. I tried installing Norton. I
couldn't even get That one to fully install. After a lot
of checking & troubleshooting, I discovered that the
Gaobat worm had innfected my system & was sabotaging my
AV program & prohibiting me from installing new AV
software ,as well as generally wreaking havoc.

Before I discovered the infection, I wasn't even able to
access a number of homepages for well-known AV software.
I tried numerous online virus scans, but they failed to
load the ActiveX required to run the scan . After several
unsuccessful attempts at using an online scan, I was
FINALLY able to use the Panda one. It identified 2
versions of the W32 Gaobot worm & cleaned them. After
that , I was able to install AV software with no problem
Moreover, several other problems disappeared.

That's my experience with this particular worm. I ,too,
thought my AV program was the issue, but it was the
symptom, not the disease . Gaobot was the disease.
Anyway, that's my tale of woe. ps: I posted this reply
earlier, but forgot to use "joyu" as the sender...let us
know how things worked out Good luck !

Glad you got it sorted out. Fun, huh?? ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:1818e01c44a0e$88e9d580$a501280a@phx.gbl,