WANTED: HP Scanjet Plus ISA Interface Card

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

For PC. Part number is 88295A or 88296A. Service part number is 88290-69001.
May also be half-length ISA "ScanJet I/F Card" with part number 88290-6511.

The card is for an HP ScanJet Plus 9195A.

I've found the drivers, but I'm getting desperate for the interface card.

--
MoonPuppy
RSM: Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

    In article <xtadnTjmkZTqM-jdRVn-hA@giganews.com>, moonpuppy.geo@yahoo.com
    says...
    > For PC. Part number is 88295A or 88296A. Service part number is 88290-69001.
    > May also be half-length ISA "ScanJet I/F Card" with part number 88290-6511.
    >
    > The card is for an HP ScanJet Plus 9195A.
    >
    > I've found the drivers, but I'm getting desperate for the interface card.

    I have a couple of the old SCSI cards left over from HP ScanJet IIcx's.
    Think 3C's shipped with same.
    The part numbers don't exactly jibe, but this is half-length ISA, 25 pin
    connector. Uses Symbios Logic chip 53C400A.
    HP embossed info on board says: C2502 66500.
    Have drivers also. Might work? Contact in sig.

    --
    Mac McDougald
    Doogle Digital - www.doogle.com

    Seriously... Are you sure you want an ISA SCSI card for the ScanJet? It works
    lots better with a PCI SCSI card, such as an Adaptec 2940, 2910, 2920, and maybe
    some other of the 2900-series... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 13:56:49 -0600, "MoonPuppy" <moonpuppy.geo@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >For PC. Part number is 88295A or 88296A. Service part number is 88290-69001.
    >May also be half-length ISA "ScanJet I/F Card" with part number 88290-6511.
    >
    >The card is for an HP ScanJet Plus 9195A.
    >
    >I've found the drivers, but I'm getting desperate for the interface card.
    >
    >--
    >MoonPuppy
    >RSM: Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    I think the OP possibly does not realize that the referenced HP interface card(s) *are*
    essentially standard SCSI cards ... but with an HP logo and part number attached.

    Any of the referenced Adaptec cards will probably work quite well.

    > Seriously... Are you sure you want an ISA SCSI card for the ScanJet? It works
    > lots better with a PCI SCSI card, such as an Adaptec 2940, 2910, 2920, and maybe
    > some other of the 2900-series... Ben Myers

  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    In article <eIldc.2474$F9.2257@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>,
    rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net says...
    > I think the OP possibly does not realize that the referenced HP interface card(s) *are*
    > essentially standard SCSI cards ... but with an HP logo and part number attached.
    >
    > Any of the referenced Adaptec cards will probably work quite well.

    I figgered he was running it off some old puter.
    Actually, he *must* be, if wanting ISA.

    The cards that shipped with all the older HP SCSI scanners (all Symbios
    Logic, AFAIK) would only do the one device, too, not chainable.

    Mac
    ======
    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > > Seriously... Are you sure you want an ISA SCSI card for the ScanJet? It works
    > > lots better with a PCI SCSI card, such as an Adaptec 2940, 2910, 2920, and maybe
    > > some other of the 2900-series... Ben Myers
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
    > I think the OP possibly does not realize that the referenced HP interface
    card(s) *are*
    > essentially standard SCSI cards ... but with an HP logo and part number
    attached.

    > Any of the referenced Adaptec cards will probably work quite well.

    This was not the case for the original Scanjet, and I do not believe it was the
    case for the Scanjet+ either. The original Scanjet used a proprietary parallel
    interface, long before the days of IEEE-1284. At one time the Scanjet's
    (without the controller) could be found at swap meets for a few $'s, but the
    card was much rare and expensive, if it could be found at all.

    I used to have a broken Scanjet with a card in the garage but just checked and
    must have sent it to Good Will.

    Regards,
    Microsoft MVP
  6. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    In article <107c8q61ekfm3c1@corp.supernews.com>, bobh@proaxis.com says...

    > "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
    > > I think the OP possibly does not realize that the referenced HP interface
    > card(s) *are*
    > > essentially standard SCSI cards ... but with an HP logo and part number
    > attached.
    > >
    > > Any of the referenced Adaptec cards will probably work quite well.
    >
    > This was not the case for the original Scanjet, and I do not believe it was the
    > case for the Scanjet+ either. The original Scanjet used a proprietary parallel
    > interface, long before the days of IEEE-1284. At one time the Scanjet's
    > (without the controller) could be found at swap meets for a few $'s, but the
    > card was much rare and expensive, if it could be found at all.
    >
    > I used to have a broken Scanjet with a card in the garage but just checked and
    > must have sent it to Good Will.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Microsoft MVP

    Well, allrighty then!
    A definitive answer, thanks Bob.

    Mac
  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Almost standard SCSI cards. Single device support only. A chipset without
    drivers for newer operating systems. The oldest and lowest of the low-end
    Symbios/LSI/NCR/etc SCSI chips. Sloooooow.

    If someone REALLY wanted ISA bus SCSI, an Adaptec 1540 would be 1000% better.
    And readily available for cheap. I have some brand-new ones here still in
    shrink wrap, looking for a home for cheap... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 00:00:10 GMT, "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote:

    >I think the OP possibly does not realize that the referenced HP interface card(s) *are*
    >essentially standard SCSI cards ... but with an HP logo and part number attached.
    >
    >Any of the referenced Adaptec cards will probably work quite well.

    >> Seriously... Are you sure you want an ISA SCSI card for the ScanJet? It works
    >> lots better with a PCI SCSI card, such as an Adaptec 2940, 2910, 2920, and maybe
    >> some other of the 2900-series... Ben Myers

  8. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> writes:

    >"RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote:

    >> Any of the referenced Adaptec cards will probably work quite well.

    >This was not the case for the original Scanjet, and I do not believe
    >it was the case for the Scanjet+ either. The original Scanjet used
    >a proprietary parallel interface, long before the days of IEEE-1284.

    The SJ+ also uses the nonstandard not-quite-IEEE1284 interface. I bought
    one many, many years ago along with a MicroChannel adapter card, but the
    card spewed all of its magic smoke a few years later when a lightning
    bolt found its way into my house. (I've still got the scorch mark
    on a wall of the bedroom I use as an office.)

    I tried to chase down a replacement card, but they could not be
    found. HP for a very short time restarted the build line for
    the ISA cards, but at such an exhorbitant price that nobody would
    buy them.

    Given the incredibly low prices of new, full-color scanners I would
    suspect that the price (and hassle factor) of trying to locate and
    purchase a replacement SJ+ adapter card isn't worth the effort.

    Joe Morris

Hewlett Packard Hardware Photo Scanners Computers