WANTED: HP Scanjet Plus ISA Interface Card

Last response: in Computer Brands
April 8, 2004 5:56:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

For PC. Part number is 88295A or 88296A. Service part number is 88290-69001.
May also be half-length ISA "ScanJet I/F Card" with part number 88290-6511.

The card is for an HP ScanJet Plus 9195A.

I've found the drivers, but I'm getting desperate for the interface card.

--
MoonPuppy
RSM: Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <xtadnTjmkZTqM-jdRVn-hA@giganews.com>, moonpuppy.geo@yahoo.com
says...
> For PC. Part number is 88295A or 88296A. Service part number is 88290-69001.
> May also be half-length ISA "ScanJet I/F Card" with part number 88290-6511.
>
> The card is for an HP ScanJet Plus 9195A.
>
> I've found the drivers, but I'm getting desperate for the interface card.

I have a couple of the old SCSI cards left over from HP ScanJet IIcx's.
Think 3C's shipped with same.
The part numbers don't exactly jibe, but this is half-length ISA, 25 pin
connector. Uses Symbios Logic chip 53C400A.
HP embossed info on board says: C2502 66500.
Have drivers also. Might work? Contact in sig.

--
Mac McDougald
Doogle Digital - www.doogle.com

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Seriously... Are you sure you want an ISA SCSI card for the ScanJet? It works
lots better with a PCI SCSI card, such as an Adaptec 2940, 2910, 2920, and maybe
some other of the 2900-series... Ben Myers

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 13:56:49 -0600, "MoonPuppy" <moonpuppy.geo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>For PC. Part number is 88295A or 88296A. Service part number is 88290-69001.
>May also be half-length ISA "ScanJet I/F Card" with part number 88290-6511.
>
>The card is for an HP ScanJet Plus 9195A.
>
>I've found the drivers, but I'm getting desperate for the interface card.
>
>--
>MoonPuppy
>RSM: Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

April 9, 2004 4:00:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I think the OP possibly does not realize that the referenced HP interface card(s) *are*
essentially standard SCSI cards ... but with an HP logo and part number attached.

Any of the referenced Adaptec cards will probably work quite well.

> Seriously... Are you sure you want an ISA SCSI card for the ScanJet? It works
> lots better with a PCI SCSI card, such as an Adaptec 2940, 2910, 2920, and maybe
> some other of the 2900-series... Ben Myers

Anonymous
April 9, 2004 4:00:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <eIldc.2474$F9.2257@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>,
rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net says...
> I think the OP possibly does not realize that the referenced HP interface card(s) *are*
> essentially standard SCSI cards ... but with an HP logo and part number attached.
>
> Any of the referenced Adaptec cards will probably work quite well.

I figgered he was running it off some old puter.
Actually, he *must* be, if wanting ISA.

The cards that shipped with all the older HP SCSI scanners (all Symbios
Logic, AFAIK) would only do the one device, too, not chainable.

Mac
======

"RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
> I think the OP possibly does not realize that the referenced HP interface
card(s) *are*
> essentially standard SCSI cards ... but with an HP logo and part number
attached.

> Any of the referenced Adaptec cards will probably work quite well.

This was not the case for the original Scanjet, and I do not believe it was the
case for the Scanjet+ either. The original Scanjet used a proprietary parallel
interface, long before the days of IEEE-1284. At one time the Scanjet's
(without the controller) could be found at swap meets for a few $'s, but the
card was much rare and expensive, if it could be found at all.

I used to have a broken Scanjet with a card in the garage but just checked and
must have sent it to Good Will.

Regards,
Microsoft MVP
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 4:31:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <107c8q61ekfm3c1@corp.supernews.com>, bobh@proaxis.com says...

> "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
> > I think the OP possibly does not realize that the referenced HP interface
> card(s) *are*
> > essentially standard SCSI cards ... but with an HP logo and part number
> attached.
> >
> > Any of the referenced Adaptec cards will probably work quite well.
>
> This was not the case for the original Scanjet, and I do not believe it was the
> case for the Scanjet+ either. The original Scanjet used a proprietary parallel
> interface, long before the days of IEEE-1284. At one time the Scanjet's
> (without the controller) could be found at swap meets for a few $'s, but the
> card was much rare and expensive, if it could be found at all.
>
> I used to have a broken Scanjet with a card in the garage but just checked and
> must have sent it to Good Will.
>
> Regards,
> Microsoft MVP

Well, allrighty then!
A definitive answer, thanks Bob.

Mac
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 8:28:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Almost standard SCSI cards. Single device support only. A chipset without
drivers for newer operating systems. The oldest and lowest of the low-end
Symbios/LSI/NCR/etc SCSI chips. Sloooooow.

If someone REALLY wanted ISA bus SCSI, an Adaptec 1540 would be 1000% better.
And readily available for cheap. I have some brand-new ones here still in
shrink wrap, looking for a home for cheap... Ben Myers

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 00:00:10 GMT, "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote:

>I think the OP possibly does not realize that the referenced HP interface card(s) *are*
>essentially standard SCSI cards ... but with an HP logo and part number attached.
>
>Any of the referenced Adaptec cards will probably work quite well.

>> Seriously... Are you sure you want an ISA SCSI card for the ScanJet? It works
>> lots better with a PCI SCSI card, such as an Adaptec 2940, 2910, 2920, and maybe
>> some other of the 2900-series... Ben Myers

Anonymous
April 9, 2004 5:10:02 PM

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> writes:

>"RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote:

>> Any of the referenced Adaptec cards will probably work quite well.

>This was not the case for the original Scanjet, and I do not believe
>it was the case for the Scanjet+ either. The original Scanjet used
>a proprietary parallel interface, long before the days of IEEE-1284.

The SJ+ also uses the nonstandard not-quite-IEEE1284 interface. I bought
one many, many years ago along with a MicroChannel adapter card, but the
card spewed all of its magic smoke a few years later when a lightning
bolt found its way into my house. (I've still got the scorch mark
on a wall of the bedroom I use as an office.)

I tried to chase down a replacement card, but they could not be
found. HP for a very short time restarted the build line for
the ISA cards, but at such an exhorbitant price that nobody would
buy them.

Given the incredibly low prices of new, full-color scanners I would
suspect that the price (and hassle factor) of trying to locate and
purchase a replacement SJ+ adapter card isn't worth the effort.

Joe Morris
!