Stringing multiple range extenders together

Is it possible to string multiple Dlink 800AP+ range extenders together?
Basically I want to have something like the Following:

(Access point for wired Lan) <-> 800AP+ <-> 800AP+ <-> (Wireless Bridge) <-> (Remote Wired Lan)

I have about 300 feet between the two wired lans, with multiple obstructions, so a straight shot
using wireless between the two will not likely work. I've never used a range extender before, so
I might need some remedial education.

-Don

Good luck

I cant even get one to work....what client adapter do you have

Robert Desel wrote:
> Good luck
>
> I cant even get one to work....what client adapter do you have

Well, I don't have the extender yet, but I have various adapters that will need
to work with it. If necessary, I'll buy all dlink adapters, but I had assumed they
were interoperable.

Do you have specifically an 800AP+ that does not work? Will it associate with the
access point but not for clients or what? Does the 800AP+ appear as an access point
to other clients when its in range extending mode for another AP?

-Don

> "Donald Thompson" <dlt_spamcatch@lunanet.biz> wrote in message
>
>>Is it possible to string multiple Dlink 800AP+ range extenders together?
>>Basically I want to have something like the Following:
>>
>>(Access point for wired Lan) <-> 800AP+ <-> 800AP+ <-> (Wireless Bridge)
>
> <-> (Remote Wired Lan)
>
>>I have about 300 feet between the two wired lans, with multiple
>
> obstructions, so a straight shot
>
>>using wireless between the two will not likely work. I've never used a
>
> range extender before, so
>
>>I might need some remedial education.
>>
>>-Don

Interesting the DLINK DWL G120 which is their USB adapter does not work with
it.

I have other linksys adapters but I cant tell if the issue is with the
adapter the repeater or the WAP

> Robert Desel wrote:
> > Good luck
> >
> > I cant even get one to work....what client adapter do you have
>
> Well, I don't have the extender yet, but I have various adapters that will
need
> to work with it. If necessary, I'll buy all dlink adapters, but I had
assumed they
> were interoperable.
>
> Do you have specifically an 800AP+ that does not work? Will it associate
with the
> access point but not for clients or what? Does the 800AP+ appear as an
access point
> to other clients when its in range extending mode for another AP?
>
> -Don
>
> > "Donald Thompson" <dlt_spamcatch@lunanet.biz> wrote in message
> >
> >>Is it possible to string multiple Dlink 800AP+ range extenders together?
> >>Basically I want to have something like the Following:
> >>
> >>(Access point for wired Lan) <-> 800AP+ <-> 800AP+ <-> (Wireless Bridge)
> >
> > <-> (Remote Wired Lan)
> >
> >>I have about 300 feet between the two wired lans, with multiple
> >
> > obstructions, so a straight shot
> >
> >>using wireless between the two will not likely work. I've never used a
> >
> > range extender before, so
> >
> >>I might need some remedial education.
> >>
> >>-Don

Donald Thompson <dlt_spamcatch@lunanet.biz> wrote in

> Is it possible to string multiple Dlink 800AP+ range extenders
> together? Basically I want to have something like the Following:
>
> (Access point for wired Lan) <-> 800AP+ <-> 800AP+ <-> (Wireless
> Bridge) <-> (Remote Wired Lan)
>
> I have about 300 feet between the two wired lans, with multiple
> obstructions, so a straight shot using wireless between the two
> will not likely work. I've never used a range extender before, so
> I might need some remedial education.

I have experience of the D-Link DWL-900AP+. Although D-Link
officially say that "you can't repeat a repeater", user experience
differs. See:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8
&safe=off&frame=right&th=7152c29e24df431e&seekm=rOwK9.348258%
24P31.131283%40rwcrnsc53>

The best configuration I've found when using the DWL-900AP+ is to
connect two back-to-back with a crossover cable, one configured as a
wireless client, the other as an access point. This gives a
manufacturer-neutral repeater, allows the use of a different channel,
and avoids the drop in throughput usually associated with a repeater.

This sort of arrangement may give you extended range via a dogleg
path which provide indirect line of sight. Replacing the stock 2dBi
gain antennae with higher gain antennae will help; a low cost
increase to medium gain 5dBi gain antennae is still helpful. I guess
it all depends on the path between the two wired LANs.

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

TRENDING THREADS