Stringing multiple range extenders together

Is it possible to string multiple Dlink 800AP+ range extenders together?
Basically I want to have something like the Following:

(Access point for wired Lan) <-> 800AP+ <-> 800AP+ <-> (Wireless Bridge) <-> (Remote Wired Lan)

I have about 300 feet between the two wired lans, with multiple obstructions, so a straight shot
using wireless between the two will not likely work. I've never used a range extender before, so
I might need some remedial education.

-Don
4 answers Last reply
More about stringing multiple range extenders together

    Good luck

    I cant even get one to work....what client adapter do you have

    Robert Desel wrote:
    > Good luck
    >
    > I cant even get one to work....what client adapter do you have

    Well, I don't have the extender yet, but I have various adapters that will need
    to work with it. If necessary, I'll buy all dlink adapters, but I had assumed they
    were interoperable.

    Do you have specifically an 800AP+ that does not work? Will it associate with the
    access point but not for clients or what? Does the 800AP+ appear as an access point
    to other clients when its in range extending mode for another AP?

    -Don

    > "Donald Thompson" <dlt_spamcatch@lunanet.biz> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is it possible to string multiple Dlink 800AP+ range extenders together?
    >>Basically I want to have something like the Following:
    >>
    >>(Access point for wired Lan) <-> 800AP+ <-> 800AP+ <-> (Wireless Bridge)
    >
    > <-> (Remote Wired Lan)
    >
    >>I have about 300 feet between the two wired lans, with multiple
    >
    > obstructions, so a straight shot
    >
    >>using wireless between the two will not likely work. I've never used a
    >
    > range extender before, so
    >
    >>I might need some remedial education.
    >>
    >>-Don

    Interesting the DLINK DWL G120 which is their USB adapter does not work with
    it.

    I have other linksys adapters but I cant tell if the issue is with the
    adapter the repeater or the WAP

    > Robert Desel wrote:
    > > Good luck
    > >
    > > I cant even get one to work....what client adapter do you have
    >
    > Well, I don't have the extender yet, but I have various adapters that will
    need
    > to work with it. If necessary, I'll buy all dlink adapters, but I had
    assumed they
    > were interoperable.
    >
    > Do you have specifically an 800AP+ that does not work? Will it associate
    with the
    > access point but not for clients or what? Does the 800AP+ appear as an
    access point
    > to other clients when its in range extending mode for another AP?
    >
    > -Don
    >
    > > "Donald Thompson" <dlt_spamcatch@lunanet.biz> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Is it possible to string multiple Dlink 800AP+ range extenders together?
    > >>Basically I want to have something like the Following:
    > >>
    > >>(Access point for wired Lan) <-> 800AP+ <-> 800AP+ <-> (Wireless Bridge)
    > >
    > > <-> (Remote Wired Lan)
    > >
    > >>I have about 300 feet between the two wired lans, with multiple
    > >
    > > obstructions, so a straight shot
    > >
    > >>using wireless between the two will not likely work. I've never used a
    > >
    > > range extender before, so
    > >
    > >>I might need some remedial education.
    > >>
    > >>-Don

    Donald Thompson <dlt_spamcatch@lunanet.biz> wrote in

    > Is it possible to string multiple Dlink 800AP+ range extenders
    > together? Basically I want to have something like the Following:
    >
    > (Access point for wired Lan) <-> 800AP+ <-> 800AP+ <-> (Wireless
    > Bridge) <-> (Remote Wired Lan)
    >
    > I have about 300 feet between the two wired lans, with multiple
    > obstructions, so a straight shot using wireless between the two
    > will not likely work. I've never used a range extender before, so
    > I might need some remedial education.

    I have experience of the D-Link DWL-900AP+. Although D-Link
    officially say that "you can't repeat a repeater", user experience
    differs. See:
    <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8
    &safe=off&frame=right&th=7152c29e24df431e&seekm=rOwK9.348258%
    24P31.131283%40rwcrnsc53>

    The best configuration I've found when using the DWL-900AP+ is to
    connect two back-to-back with a crossover cable, one configured as a
    wireless client, the other as an access point. This gives a
    manufacturer-neutral repeater, allows the use of a different channel,
    and avoids the drop in throughput usually associated with a repeater.

    This sort of arrangement may give you extended range via a dogleg
    path which provide indirect line of sight. Replacing the stock 2dBi
    gain antennae with higher gain antennae will help; a low cost
    increase to medium gain 5dBi gain antennae is still helpful. I guess
    it all depends on the path between the two wired LANs.

    Hope this helps

    --

    Richard Perkin
    To email me, change the AT in the address below

    is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
    It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Wireless LAN D-Link Internet Wireless Networking