Need help on Microsoft pop ups

Hi.

I'm brand new to XP and have a couple of questions. How do I turn off the pop ups that appear on my screen sent from Microsoft? The top says Messenger Service and the rest is an ad. Also, when I try to download a file to my computer I get a box that pops up and says that my computer will be shutting down. How can I change that as well? Thanks ahead for anyones help.

Go to the START menu, Select Run and type in services.msc and click OK.

Now a new window will appear with lots of "services" on the right hand side...

Scroll down and find the Messenger service, select it, right click it and choose properties.

Under Startup Type select Manual. (or Disabled)

Then click the Stop button.

Then click the Apply button.

Then click the OK button.

Messenger Service Spam can no longer be received on your machine

Thank you to everyone that responded to my thread. I really appreciate all your help.

dh271 wrote:
> Go to the START menu, Select Run and type in services.msc and click
> OK.
>
> Now a new window will appear with lots of "services" on the right
> hand side...
>
> Scroll down and find the Messenger service, select it, right click it
> and choose properties.
>
> Under Startup Type select Manual. (or Disabled)
>
> Then click the Stop button.
>
> Then click the Apply button.
>
> Then click the OK button.
>
> Messenger Service Spam can no longer be received on your machine

AND...

Turn on/install a firewall.

(Don't just stop receiving the symptom that you are vulnerable, actually fix
the vulnerability.)

--
<- Shenan ->

dh271 wrote:
> My second response, this is the easiest way to end messenger.
> Download this and it takes care of it.
>
> http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

AND...

Turn on/install a firewall.

(Don't just stop receiving the symptom that you are vulnerable, actually fix
the vulnerability.)

--
<- Shenan ->

Greetings --

This type of spam has become quite common over the past year or
so, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
you most definitely open to other threats, such as the Blaster,
Welchia, and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. Install and
use a decent, properly configured firewall. (Merely disabling the
messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom,
and does little or nothing to truly secure your machine.) And
ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap represented by
these messages is particularly foolish.

Messenger Service of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
Appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

If you're using AOL, you'll either need to find a 3rd party
firewall that is compatible with AOL, or switch to a real ISP that is
compatible with the real Internet. This is because AOL is an on-line
content provider that ignores international Internetworking standards
in favor of its own proprietary products, and has deliberately made
its connection software incompatible with both WinXP's built-in
firewall and WinXP's Internet Connection Sharing feature. AOL's
proprietary connection applet is deliberately designed to preclude
your setting/adjusting any of its properties, to include
enabling/disabling WinXP's ICF and ICS.

Whichever firewall you decide upon, be sure to ensure UDP ports
135, 137, and 138 and TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 are _all_ blocked.
You may also disable Inbound NetBIOS (NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll
have to follow the instructions from firewall's manufacturer for the
specific steps.

You can test your firewall at:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=GPVHGBYNCJEIMXQKCDT

Security Scan - Sygate Online Services
http://www.sygatetech.com/

Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
more than disable the messenger service. They may mean well and
simply be "uniformed," or they may have a vested interest in keeping
as many PCs unsecured as possible. Disabling the messenger service,
by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer security. The
real problem is _not_ the messenger service pop-ups; they're actually
providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as a security
alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and you've been
advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this helpful?

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"pretty_eyes" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I'm brand new to XP and have a couple of questions. How do I turn
off the pop ups that appear on my screen sent from Microsoft? The top
says Messenger Service and the rest is an ad. Also, when I try to
download a file to my computer I get a box that pops up and says that
my computer will be shutting down. How can I change that as well?
Thanks ahead for anyones help.

Greetings --

I realize that you're trying to help, and that such an intent is
commendable, but please don't post potentially harmful advice.

Disabling the messenger service, as you advise, is a "head in the
sand" approach to computer security that leaves the PC vulnerable to
threats such as the W32.Blaster.Worm and the W32.Sasser.Worm.

The real problem is _not_ the messenger service pop-ups; they're
actually providing a useful service by acting as a security alert. The
true problem is the unsecured computer, and you're only advice,
however well-intended, was to turn off the warnings. How is this
helpful?

Equivalent Scenario: You over-exert your shoulder at work or
play, causing bursitis. After weeks of annoying and sometimes
excruciating pain whenever you try to reach over your head, you go to
a doctor and say, while demonstrating the motion, "Doc, it hurts when
I do this." The doctor, being as helpful as you are, replies, "Well,
don't do that."

An absolutely essential step towards securing the PC, short of
disconnecting it from the Internet, is to install and *properly*
configure a firewall; just installing one and letting it's default
settings handle things is not always sufficient.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"dh271" <condor3521@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Go to the START menu, Select Run and type in services.msc and click
OK.

> Now a new window will appear with lots of "services" on the right
hand side...

> Scroll down and find the Messenger service, select it, right click
it and choose properties.

> Under Startup Type select Manual. (or Disabled)
>
> Then click the Stop button.
>
> Then click the Apply button.
>
> Then click the OK button.
>
> Messenger Service Spam can no longer be received on your machine

Greetings --

I realize that you're trying to help, and that such an intent is
commendable, but please don't post potentially harmful advice.

Disabling the messenger service, Shoot the Messenger does, is a

> My second response, this is the easiest way to end messenger.
Download this and it takes care of it.

> http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;283673

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:E0D94148-FB21-405A-B11B-46DF6F678B5B@microsoft.com,
pretty_eyes <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi.
>
> I'm brand new to XP and have a couple of questions. How do I turn off
> the pop ups that appear on my screen sent from Microsoft? The top
> says Messenger Service and the rest is an ad. Also, when I try to
> download a file to my computer I get a box that pops up and says that
> my computer will be shutting down. How can I change that as well?
> Thanks ahead for anyones help.

Gordon

pretty_eyes cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly:

> Hi.
>
> I'm brand new to XP and have a couple of questions. How do I turn off the pop ups that appear on my screen sent from Microsoft? The top says Messenger Service and the rest is an ad. Also, when I try to download a file to my computer I get a box that pops up and says that my computer will be shutting down. How can I change that as well? Thanks ahead for anyones help.

Activate the XP Firewall or install and run a third-party firewall.

--
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

To email me replace the obvious!

Gordon

pretty_eyes cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly:

> Hi.
>
> I'm brand new to XP and have a couple of questions. How do I turn off the pop ups that appear on my screen sent from Microsoft? The top says Messenger Service and the rest is an ad. Also, when I try to download a file to my computer I get a box that pops up and says that my computer will be shutting down. How can I change that as well? Thanks ahead for anyones help.

You should NEVER in this day and age access the Internet WITHOUT a
firewall. Where have you been for the last 6 months - in a cave?