Anybody getting a PS3 or Wii? Send us your feedback

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Hey all,
We thought it would be interesting to get some feedback from TG Forumz members on their experiences with PS3/Wii. That way, instead of just hot air opinions from us editors, we can post thoughts and perspectives from real gamers like yourselves.

So if any of you forum members out there are getting pre-orders or are braving the long lines at the midnight sales to get yourself a new console and would like to weigh in on them, then send us your feedback. You can post here, or on new Forumz topic, or simply e-mail me some thoughts. The address is rwright@tgpublishing.net.

P.S. If anyone is in the Los Angeles area and will be waiting in line or picking up a pre-order for the PS3 or Wii and want to be on video or see your name in print, let us know.

Good luck, and God bless...

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
Wii for me, mainly due to price and novel controller. I am a PC gamer and I do not see reason to buy expensive PS3 which is not very original platform and which I will use only occasionally. Wii is complete opposite and can compliment my PC gaming due to its originality.

I also have a suggestion to add poll to this discussion, it is interesting to see the statistics.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I can definitely agree with MxM (though my primary use for the Revolution - or Wii if you absolutely must - will probably be as something of a retro gaming backup console, assuming they get with the game & pick up a lot of important titles that are missing, which is almost all of them) but personally I won't be getting a Revolution until the 1st price drop.

Several reasons:
-I missed pre-orders (I didn't care all that much in the first place - I got my fix with the DS on launch week) anyway & I'm not gonna be around on launch day either.

-I want the black version that looks like a modem! =(

-Twilight Princess I'll miss, but I still want to play it the first time on GCN regardless. A standard type controller will remain more precise, despite being less... Well I dunno what the Revolution controller is truly like yet... Beyond that, there's nothing truly pressing that I can't wait 6-10 months to play. Everything else important is on PC.

nomad440

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
PS3 thankyou, for one simple reason: Market support. Not that the Wii is any worse, or the Xbox for that matter. The PS(x) market is the largest, most lucrative way to make money on your developed titles. People had the same concerns about the PS2 when it was launched, look today, it is the dominant console, period. My gut is telling me that developers will lean towards Sony on this one, their proven track record of sales, and sales=money=revenue=profit=better games=sales....

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
In all honesty, I think reality will bend away from Sony significantly this time. Microsoft is just pooring so much money into their console that they could practically just buy their way into all the 3rd party developers if they merely wanted to monopolize against Sony. You have to remember both that Sony has nothing real beyond 3rd party support & that 3rd parties are not loyal to anything but money in most cases.

As far as Nintendo... I think we'll probably end up seeing more in terms of quantity on the system than the others combined. Mass market doesn't even begin to describe the obscure forms of demand I've been seeing for this console...?_?... It's actually quite disturbing how many want to buy it.

Though of course, you'll only have a similar market (in terms of numbers) that will actually be buying games frequently, so this part shouldn't influence developers as much.

People tend to forget how quickly Sony overtook Nintendo.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I would be getting both of them, but unfortunately I live in a place called Europe or more importantly Scotland and these consol manufacturers don’t care about us. To them I guess our money can wait and does not taste as sweet as the US or Japanese consumers, even worse is that they seem intent on take more of our foul tasting money than anyone else in the world…

Why must we wait to only be repaid with a higher sale price? :cry:

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I played a Revolution (Wii, if you must) over Thanksgiving. Even with just Wii Sports, I must say that it's surpassed the Half-Life 2 leak's welding feature as what is officially the most pointlessly awesome feature in all of gaming.

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I've never even considered buying a console, since they don't really do anything other than my PC, but yesterday I saw a demonstration of the wii in a supermarket and I immediately fell in love with it, because of the physically active gameplay that the new controler enables.

Today my girlfriend, who never liked any kind of gaming at all, visited relatives, who have the wii. When she came home, she asked me about buying a wii. 8O

I think most old consol gamers will buy xbox or ps3, but wii opens up gaming to new people and wins over a few old ones too.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
PS3 thankyou, for one simple reason: Market support. Not that the Wii is any worse, or the Xbox for that matter. The PS(x) market is the largest, most lucrative way to make money on your developed titles. People had the same concerns about the PS2 when it was launched, look today, it is the dominant console, period. My gut is telling me that developers will lean towards Sony on this one, their proven track record of sales, and sales=money=revenue=profit=better games=sales....

Well, PS2 was about 1 year earlier than GS, and did not cost twice more... Though GC had better graphics, it lost the competition.

The situation is somewhat reverse now...

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
Wii for me, mainly due to price and novel controller. I am a PC gamer and I do not see reason to buy expensive PS3 which is not very original platform and which I will use only occasionally. Wii is complete opposite and can compliment my PC gaming due to its originality.

Well, I have got my Wii (lucky me, only 3 hours in line) last Sunday. And even though I had quite high expectation for it, Wii had managed to EXCEED them! I do not even remember when last time any game or or hardware exceeded my expectation. Probably Half Life 1 was the last game that did it for me...

Wii remote works so nice, so accurate, I can't believe it. It is like now TV has mouse, only it feels more natural then mouse, and on second day I already forgot that it is a new way to interact, as if I use this wiimote already for several years...

And the games is also so cool! It is so satisfying to smash the monsters with your sword in Zelda, or shoot those rabbits with plungers in Rayman - I could not believe that 35 year old man can enjoy it that much!

If they continue to supply this kind of quality games for Wii, then Wii will not "complement" my PC gaming, It is PC games that will complement my Wii gaming - Yeah! I am that much impressed!

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I am also a PC dude, and have resisted getting a console for my kids so far (they are 7, 6, and 3 presently, so this is not hard to justify). However, I must admit the Wii is very tempting, and the early reviews seem promising - the activity level involved in the motion sensing controller is especially appealing. If my kids are going to play video games, let them play ones that require a bit of activity, or at least more physical interaction than pushing a button. Since Nintendo has been the most family friendly console in recent years, I suspect it might very well have broader appeal than the Sony or MS consoles.

I think Nintendo is also the only one of the big three console makers that understands pricing points - these are at heart game machines, and there is a limit to what people will pay for such a device. Look back at the ill-fated 3DO system - world class performance at a price very few were willing to pay, and the PS3 in particular is just about to that same point now. Video gaming is far more accepted than it was 10 years ago (in large part due to the PS itself), but $600 is an awful lot to ask. IMHO, Sony would have been better off using a standard drive and providing an external HD disk option, and charging a price in line with the 360. But I digress...

Once a few more Wii games become available, I have a feeling I will be getting one - for my kids, of course :lol:

SrgtSeverus

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
I like PC gaming a great deal more than consoles, which sort of rules out PS3 and XBOX 360, however I could see myself picking up a Wii when I don't have to wait in line to do so for the shear innovation and fun factor, plus there hasn't been a zelda game I haven't completed since the original.

ben72227

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006

Well, PS2 was about 1 year earlier than GS, and did not cost twice more... Though GC had better graphics, it lost the competition.

The situation is somewhat reverse now...

Except everyone always seems to forget why Sony has been so dominant over the past decade in consoles. It was never the hardware, the price, etc.

It was the GAME LIBRARY.

Sony had a game out there for EVERYONE. It had every possible niche you could think of.

What I mean is this -

Xbox had Halo, PGR, Forza, Fable...maybe a few other exclusive franchises.

Gamecube failed because it was marketed to children only. Hardly any mature rated games (and only later on did they come out - i.e. Resident Evil 4). That left you with mainly Nintendo first party games, which weren't anything GREAT - nothing like on N64 - no Goldeneye, no Ocarina of Time, no Perfect Dark, no Donkey Kong 64, etc. Instead you got stuck with cell-shaded Zelda and rehashed franchises that were showing age (i.e. How many Mario Parties are there going to be :roll: )

Sony had the best of both worlds - adult games AND family games - SOCOM, Grand Theft Auto 3 (which really pushed PS2 sales back in the day), Ace Combat, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Gran Turismo, Jak and Dexter, Ratchet and Clank, Twisted Metal, Final Fantasy, Sly Cooper, Guitar Hero, etc.

As you can see, Sony clearly has the advantage when it comes to franchises. And they can come up with new ones too. I mean, when was the last time Nintendo had a new franchise? (Pokemon wasn't it? and that was like a decade ago)

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
are game designers really going to spend the time with the totally abysmal PS3 sales going on? sure it's still early, but PS3's are crowding the shelves at big box stores right now after around 2 months? a week ago I tried to pick up a Wii at Best Buy on the day they received around 25 units per store. I tried two different locations 30 minutes before opening time, and both told me they had people lined up since the previous night. I thought that kind of craziness only happened on release day??

PLEASE Nintendo LET me give you my money!! I want one!! It is not just any product that has this kind of hype after Christmas.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Gamecube failed because it was marketed to children only.

Sony had the best of both worlds - adult games AND family games

I loved hitting fanbois with this back in the day, but BMX XXX had nudity on the GC version, not the PS2 version. :lol:

torque79, the DS is impossible to find right now too. It's already been out a year! 8O Did parents get confused? "I'd like a Wii." "We're out, but we have the DS." "What's that?" "Uh, it's a handheld system from Nintendo." "So, it's like a portable Wii? I'll take it!" :wink:

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
lol nice. I love the idea of the new mario world game so much I am actually also considering buying a DS, but I would hope they would also release this game for the wii? Obviously a side-scroller is no big challenge to run on a full console, but I want the game! maybe that'll be a release for their online download system soon.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
New Mario World? Do you mean New Super Mario Bros? It's a good game, but short. I blasted through it 100% in the first week. It would have lasted longer without all the save points, but gamers are lazier today. :wink:

I doubt we'll see it on the Wii for download anytime soon just because it's a DS seller and it's doing a great job there. I'd recommend you pick it up on the DS anyway, just as soon as you can find one. I got it for a long car trip, and now three of seven family members have one. My dad even asked for one on his birthday, which is how I learned of there post-Christmas non-availability.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I just commented last night to my wife that the average age of gamers keeps going up, and I think Nintendo is accelerating that drastically with the Wii AND the DS. Games like Brain Age, Wii sports, Super Mario Bros, etc are really changing the demographic of "gamers". What other console would you really consider inviting friends over to play (except serious gamers)? Nintendo is really redefining the genre.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I didn't get a Wii myself, but I have played on a friend's machine, and I have to say it was a whole bundle of fun. People have bashed the cartoony graphics, but they miss the sheer FUN of the interactivity of the games. I really think Nintendo got this right, and I would be very surprised if they don't vastly surpass Sony this time around - the PS3 is a high-tech but evolutionary product, while the Wii is truly revolutionary, and has much greater appeal to a broad market. Heck, even my non-gaming wife is interested in trying the Wii, and that is an impressive feat in and of itself.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Not only that, but a "high tech, evolutionary console" doesn't last very long against computers.

New Mario World? Do you mean New Super Mario Bros? It's a good game, but short. I blasted through it 100% in the first week. It would have lasted longer without all the save points, but gamers are lazier today. :wink:

Well, despite the save points (and really, most more recent Mario games have had that too) and the first two worlds being way too easy, I think it was definitely full scale, full quality Mario. A speed run is going to be a lot longer than most of the other Mario games.

StevenQ

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I just got a Wii and man is the Wii mote a blast. This has to be my new favorite console of all time. The game Wii Sports is really fun and a great party game.

Plus I can't wait for the release of the new Smash Bros. game and playing online multiplayer.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Well, I managed to get a Wii on Monday 19 Feb. I harassed my local Best Buy calling them for a couple of weeks until they told me the shipments usually arrive on Mondays around 5pm. I went there straight after work and arrived around 4:15pm. There was a lineup, and they were giving out tickets for Wiis. They already knew 24 consoles would be coming, and I got ticket number 21. By around 4:30 the last ticket was given out. The Purolator driver was an hour and a half late, and then I was waiting for 20 consoles to sell in front of me. they had 18 extra nunchucks so I did'nt get one, but at least I got a second wiimote. I also grabbed excite truck because the wife likes racing games.

I hooked it up the next day without any difficulty, and connected it to my wireless router without security (for now) and it was online just like that, in no time. It downloaded some updates (that took a couple of minutes), then I had the news and weather channels. Very simple to hook up, configure, and get ready for internet and gaming.

Last night I invited 2 friends over and we had a blast playing the sports and a bit of racing. Unfortunately we could'nt bash eachother in boxing without a second nunchuck, but everything else was great. My wife and two friends (and myself) all got comfortable with the controls within literally a couple of minutes. Playing all the sports was very competitive and enjoyable, even on my small 27" old cheap CRT tv.

the interactivity can be as slight or as enthusiastic as you choose. your swings and controls can be slight movements or full on swings, whatever you want. I enjoy going nuts in boxing and getting a good workout for myself. I see a lot of potential for future games to give a very enjoyable workout.

In short, it's only been a couple of days but I can't get enough. It's simple, fun to use, and even has some useful info like weather and news. I have not tried any other new consoles, but have little interest. I am looking forward to downloading some classic NES and SNES titles, and am anxiously awaiting some future titles such as super smash bros.

vangvace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
My wife bought us a Wii for Xmas. She almost missed my graduation to buy it too. (Military tech training not HS BTW I am 28 :lol: )

Enjoy playing it but wish I bought Splinter Cell over Red Steel. Was online the other night and saw Kid Icarus!!!!! I can't wait to buy points and kill eggplants again.

One thing I would like to see added is have it be able to stream music too. (Say from iTunes for instance)

TRENDING THREADS