iMac Survives Fire; Burnt, Melted, Fully Operational

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashrafpasha

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
So what? it took apple so long to make something like this and they did not even realized it. Dell and IBM machines have been tested in labs, directly under fire. Works fine.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Smoke damage, enough heat to melt the plastic from the keyboard keys, but yet not enough to com bust the mouse, and it clearly wasn't wrapped in flame or on fire itself, just in proximity ot the heat (and given the limited melting, I;d say not in the same room as the fire at all).

A total loss for a home does not mean it burned to ash. Anything not make of metal or glass would be destroyed by smoke and water, and be unusble, even if it wansn't itself burned. A PC, enclosed in an entirely metal and glass case, and far enough away from direct flame as to not self-ignite and suffer only limited exterior melting (radiant, not direct heat), likely as long as it also avoided significant water it would work. Having been on a desk and not under it, and not having a plastic screen like LCDs, yea, not surprised it's working.

theafricandude

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
"Today here at Apple we have a machine that has survived a fire and still works. Isn't that amazing everyone." Question: "Do they survive shipping from Apple?" Answer: "................"

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
+1 for Apple build quality. I put my old Ipod Nano through the washer and dryer while it was on, still works to this day. Although I upgraded a while ago, it's still kicking around somewhere. However, the headphones do NOT appreciate the dryer...they curled and solidified in an odd manner unfortunately.

:pfff:
Microsoft makes the Operating System, NOT the computer.
Both Microsoft's OS' and Apples OSX run on the same hardware.

Or are you trying to tell me that if he had Win 7 installed Steve Jobs would have started the house on fire just to rid the world of such blasphemy :heink:

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Exactly, there wasn't much of a fire. That locks like 2 carpets ware on fire and filled the hole house with smoke. There is furniture there that is just full of smoke but not many burn marks so..that means it is a smoky PC not a meltdown resistance proof "MAC". Check the rest of the pictures so that you will see for yourself. (I wonder how much money did that guy received for that news..:)) )

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
[citation][nom]crazymech[/nom]I'm amazed at all the irrational apple hate here on tom's.[/citation]

It's not hate, it's "getting sick of MAC-MAC-MAC" and their "interesting" advertising..
Personally I don't hate them, I just like the rest more:).

G

he plugged it in using the burned power cord! haha, smart. hopefully starting another fire

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]crazymech[/nom]I'm amazed at all the irrational apple hate here on tom's.[/citation]
Yeah because there aren't tons of anti-"M$" comments in a microsoft/windows article.

Status
Not open for further replies.