Asus P4S533 - Unsure of its own speed, boot issues

I bought an Asus P4S533 (sis 645DX chipset) and it is confusing me.

First, Sandra says that the maximum bus speed on it is 100 mhz, even though it defaulted to 133 and is advertised to run at 133. I have a P4 2.26/533 so this is what I want to run at. Hopefully Sandra is just confused.

Second, It has some difficulties at boot. First few times it worked... a few times since it has instead decided to not boot, or boot very slowly and then hang. Is this more likely power supply, RAM, or the motherboard?

One time when not booting it gave an error message "Hardware Monitor detected error, see power menu." I went to power menu and there was no additional information at all. Instruction manual did not mention it either.

In all of this, I am trying to figure out if the RAM is clocked correctly, I think it should be 133 * 5/4 so it runs at 166 (333 RAM), but "auto" doesn't tell me what it has chosen. Both auto and 4/5 (Cpu/ram) seem to work so I guess it's not a problem.

Where do I look in Sandra to see what clock speed my RAM is running at? I can only find front side bus...

Thank you.
4 answers Last reply
More about asus p4s533 unsure speed boot issues
  1. Quote:
    First, Sandra says that the maximum bus speed on it is 100 mhz, even though it defaulted to 133 and is advertised to run at 133. I have a P4 2.26/533 so this is what I want to run at. Hopefully Sandra is just confused

    the P4 you have is a northwood "B" cpu...meaning it runs at 533mhz FSB...the motherboard should (i think) detect that and set it to 133 automatically...if not...then you can adjust it yourself in the BIOS by setting the cpu frequency to 133....
    anyways...a possible reason Sandra is saying that the max supported FSB is 100 is because you may have your FSB at 100...set it to 133 and that should correct it.
    Quote:
    Second, It has some difficulties at boot. First few times it worked... a few times since it has instead decided to not boot, or boot very slowly and then hang. Is this more likely power supply, RAM, or the motherboard?

    One time when not booting it gave an error message "Hardware Monitor detected error, see power menu." I went to power menu and there was no additional information at all. Instruction manual did not mention it either

    that most likely means that one of the fans that you connected to the motherboard is spinning too slow...id suggest disabling the fan RPM monitoring in the BIOS to correct this...
    Quote:
    In all of this, I am trying to figure out if the RAM is clocked correctly, I think it should be 133 * 5/4 so it runs at 166 (333 RAM), but "auto" doesn't tell me what it has chosen. Both auto and 4/5 (Cpu/ram) seem to work so I guess it's not a problem

    lemme see...at 133FSB...you should have your cpu:memory ratio at 4:5 if im not mistaken...this is if you have pc2700 ram (ddr333)...if you have pc2100 ram...the ratio should be at 1:1.
    Quote:
    Where do I look in Sandra to see what clock speed my RAM is running at? I can only find front side bus

    Sandra unfortunately doesnt tell the the clock speed of the ram...but it does tell you the timings of it...

    :eek: <b>Who fixed <font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s leaky faucet??</b> :eek:
  2. The BIOS has the option to run the CPU/Memory at various options. 3:4 means async 100/133 (DDR266), 3:5 = async 100/166 (DDR333), 3:6 = async 100/200. The CPU/PCI Frequency can be adjusted at 1Mhz steppings from 100 ~ 166.
  3. Yes, my motherboard is running at 133 according to the BIOS, and Sandra is warning me that it should only be running at 100 maximum. I am unsure why it thinks this.

    Thank you for your response.
  4. you may have an older version of sandra...try downloading Sandra SP1...but i wouldnt worry about the warning from Sandra that much...

    :eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Asus Boot