windows xp boot loader

TrAnCe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

I recently installed windows xp on my PC, which used to have windows 98/XP dual boot. The old partitions are
C:\ Windows98 (10GB), FAT32
D:\ WindowsXP (10GB), FAT32
I formated my d:\ first when I was in windows 98, then upon reset, I setup win xp using the winxp boot cdrom. I selected partition c:\ when prompted for win xp setup and formatted it as NTFS. After installation, I notice that there’s still a boot loader asking me to choose between 2 copies of win xp, 1 of which is the old win xp. Can I set the boot loader to boot directly into my newly installed win xp in c:\ without using the boot.ini? I tried Fixboot and Fixmbr and deleted away the boot.ini, but there’ll be an error “invalid boot.ini, booting from c:\windows� during startup. I’ve no choice but to edit the boot.ini to boot the win xp as default and timeout to 0s.

Appreciate if anyone got a better idea round this.

Hi trance,

You could give the BootCfg /Rebuild command a try. Further information
regarding that command and its uses is available here:

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User