Failed SP2 Install, how can I identify what went wrong?

Hi everyone!

AMD 1.4 Ghz266 DDR, 32*64 256 Memory, Chaintech FSB 266 Mother Board, Phoenix Flashable BIOS, 40GB 5400 WD Hard drive, Gforce MX200 AGP 64MB Video card.

After aborting an install of Beta SP2 at the final stage, ie: accept upgrade..."or was it accept patches" I was left with a machine that came alive but wont boot, does nothing, No hard drive or floppy activity, no cmos setup screen etc, just nothing! Having taken out the hardrive and installed it as slave on another machine I have access to all the files no prob. Can anyone advise me on what log files and other related files I need to be looking for to discover what happened on my machines dying moments and any advice on type of program I need to view them? My first thought is that the patch has flashed my Award System 2MB Boot-Block Flash ROM and left it unusable, any advice would be great!

My apologise for grammar...it is 3am and I've been at this for sometime now. Thank you. Tullie
2 answers Last reply
More about failed install identify wrong

    Please repost your question in one of the SP2 beta newsgroups:

    Welcome to Windows XP SP2 Technical Preview Newsgroups
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=xpsp2&slcid=us

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Tullie" <tullie@ntlworld.com> wrote in message:

    | Hi everyone!
    |
    | AMD 1.4 Ghz266 DDR, 32*64 256 Memory, Chaintech FSB 266 Mother Board, Phoenix Flashable BIOS, 40GB 5400 WD
    Hard drive, Gforce MX200 AGP 64MB Video card.

    | After aborting an install of Beta SP2 at the final stage, ie: accept upgrade..."or was it accept patches" I
    was left with a machine that came alive but wont boot, does nothing, No hard drive or floppy activity, no
    cmos setup screen etc, just nothing! Having taken out the hardrive and installed it as slave on another
    machine I have access to all the files no prob. Can anyone advise me on what log files and other related
    files I need to be looking for to discover what happened on my machines dying moments and any advice on type
    of program I need to view them? My first thought is that the patch has flashed my Award System 2MB Boot-Block
    Flash ROM and left it unusable, any advice would be great!

    | My apologise for grammar...it is 3am and I've been at this for sometime now. Thank you. Tullie

    Sorry! Quite new to this news board thing. Thank you and keep up the good work!

Windows XP