RAM is missing

Hi again Group,

I just put in 2 x 512 MB RAM into my XP Pro (AMD 2500) computer. Now my
"system Properties" is telling me that I only have 448MB. What have I done
wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated

GL

Geddy Lee wrote:
> I just put in 2 x 512 MB RAM into my XP Pro (AMD 2500) computer. Now
> my "system Properties" is telling me that I only have 448MB. What
> have I done wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated

Did you make sure (manuals) that your computer (hardware) could handle that
much RAM?
If you did, did you verify the type/speed?
If you did, did you verify the placement?

--
<- Shenan ->

Yes, yes and yes.

:) GL

Geddy Lee wrote:
> Yes, yes and yes.
>
> Nobody has ever told me how to cross post and I have been at this for
> some time. Every says "Crosspost". Okay....., tell me how.

How much RAM does your BIOS/post screen tell you that you have?

As for your other question about "How to CrossPost" (as well as the ones you
keep coming back for) -
might I suggest learning to use Google?

<- Shenan ->

Maybe your video is using the other 64MB?

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
"Geddy Lee" <nospam@for.me> wrote in message
> Hi again Group,
>
> I just put in 2 x 512 MB RAM into my XP Pro (AMD 2500) computer. Now
my
> "system Properties" is telling me that I only have 448MB. What have
I done
> wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated
>
> GL

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Check the RAM value displayed in POST. Also, see if both RAM modules or the
mobo work: try one module at a time, reverse them - of course, in either
slots A1A2 or B1B2. Further, make sure that you load "Microsoft Windows XP
Pro/Home" /fastdetect without hiding any RAM from XP - you find it in
"System Properties"/"Startup and Recovery" settings/ "Default Operating
System."
Also, try MemTest or other DOS memory checking software that runs from your
floppy drive. Well... there's a lot more (voltage, timing) but at least see
if it's a hardware or a software problem. I bet your sticks are DDR, PC2700+
etc. - that's cause you did not mention it and that leaves one wondering.
Michael