Asus A7M 266-D does not POST

Kndo

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
I have recently bought an Asus A7M 266-D motherboard and the motherboard does neither POST nor beep with the system speaker. The motherboard does however have power, since the CPU fan is working, the green indicator light is lit and the power LED on the case lights up when the computer is turned on. The setup is the following :

Enermax 550 power supply
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Kingston 512 MB DDR 2100 buffered RAM
MSI Geforce 2 Mx Graphics card.
Coolermaster fan
Asus A7M 266-D motherboard

Ram, processor and graphics card have been tested on a different motherboard and work fine. I first set the dip switches and jumpers to the Jumper-free mode. This giving no results, I set the external clock frequency and the voltages myself by jumper and disabled the jumper-free mode. The results were exactly the same, meaning that
the computer would not POST.

Does anybody have a clue what could be going on ?

delpart

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
You could still have bad outputs. Check all outputs with a DVM if you have one. Of course, replacing the PS will work. Does the manual give any minimum power requirements?

en Xristos

Kndo

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
The motherboard manual lists 400W as minimum and the Enermax 550 is actually recommended by Asus. Everything is seated fine, I even switched the cpu from socket 0 to socket 1 trying to see whether that would make a difference.

I have checked the PSU on another motherboard, which works alright with it. Then again, that's an old BP6 with dual celerons so it doesn't need as much power. I don't have a DVM :( But my guess would be that it's not the power supply's fault, since the motherboard gets power to the fans, to the AGP slot and the LED indicating that the system is on lights up as well.

Surrept

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
Yeah well i have the same motherboard and if you are 100% sure that all cables are connected properly, youve reset your bios with the jumper to its defaults, and all components are working then its probably a bad motherboard.
Leaving the jumpers for the fsb and voltage at the defaults work fine with the AMD XP chips. im currently runnin a 1800.
Just a word of the wise..there is a setting on the motherboard that says somethin like SPD control blahblah = #
Well by default its set at 0. More likely than not if its set a 0 you wont get the 2000mhz processor to do anything other than 100mhz fsb + locked multiplier. If you try to set it at 2000 then your pc will blue screen during the boot into windows assuming thats the OS your using. That setting lets the motherboard know if the processor is a XP, standard athlon, or MP chip. 1 Being the # for XP chips.
hope that helps.

Kndo

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
Thanks for the tip about the SPD. Well the board still doesn't POST after I tried a couple of other things. I shortened the SMI header, I changed to a different power supply and ran the motherboard out of the case with only
1 stick of RAM
cpu
graphics card
This didn't help either.