GA-7VRXP audio CT5880 problem

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
OK - Believe it or not, I haven't had any problems with this board. I just ran into my first.

Just re-installed XP Pro. Audio doesn't work under XP. It actually will work with some games (after the intro screen).

Symptoms are: Audio driver seems to be installed fine under Sound & Audio devices in dev mgr. I'm using the latest (WMP) from the GB web site. But if you go to the Sounds applet in the control panel and try out a windows sound, the play button is greyed out.

Also, if you try to use an audio app. such as winamp it says there is no audio device.

I pulled out all additional expansion cards, so only thing in there is a GeForce 2. Also, I double checked that it's enabled in the BIOS.

I'm probably going to re-install tonight, but has anyone run into this problem and fixed it? I saw some references on usenet, but no solutions.

Thanks in advance.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
did you try uninstalling the audio drivers and reinstalling it? Right click my computer, go to properties, click the hardware tab, click device manager, and pull down the sound, video and game controllers. Uninstall the sound and reboot. Maybe taht will fix it

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
more info:

A fresh install (on another drive), audio works fine.

Old install (disk with audio problem) dxdiag test sound works. But still, volume tab on sounds and audio devices says "no audio device"

Bizarre.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I'm an idiot. I had turned off a bunch of services for performance sake, and had accidentally turned off "windows audio"

a big duhhh!

Never mind. :wink:

TRENDING THREADS