Help me build my dream machine

digiguy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
I want to build a machine that has the power of gaming and stabilization of server. I prefer XP processor and fast ram. What do you recommand? My budget is from US$500 to US$800. Of course the price include everything that I need such as cable, tower, or whatsoever in the box. I have LAN connection, so I must have a network card in the box.
Any commemts would be appericated!
Thank you!

:smile: DigiGuy :smile:

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey D,

I am not sure that you could buy the parts with a budget of less than $800. Does this price include a 21" power gaming monitor? Or just the "Box"? Have you ever built a system yourself? What the heck, let's see:

Samsung PC2700 DDR...........$72(256mb) or $150(512mb)
AMD Athlon XP 2100+..........$183(OEM)
MSI KT3 Ultra................$77
WD 80gb 7200rpm SE...........$114(w/ 8mb cache)
MSI GF4 Ti 4400..............$229
Artic Silver III.............$6
MSI CDRW 32x12x40x...........$55
Raidmax 228 Mid ATX Tower....$23(no PSU)
Lite-On 16x DVD-Rom..........$38
3 Sunon 80mm Case Fans.......$15
T.I. Dr Thermal TI-V77L HSF..$18
Sony FDD.....................$8
Antec 400 watt PSU...........$63
D-Link 10/100 NIC............$10
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card....$59(oem)

Total for Hardware without Shipping or OS:$1048(w/ 512mb DDR)

+$90 for OEM version Windows XP Home Edtion
+$50ish for shipping

For $500 USD you would be hard pressed to build a "Budget" System. All these prices are from newegg.com 7/11/'02. You could change many things on this list, but you will not be saving much money over my picks.

You could save a little money, going with a:

Asus A7N266-C Mobo........$102(& use the built on board sound)
2 Sticks of Crucial PC2100 DDR 256mb........$104

Saving you $80, by using slower DDR & using the very good on board sound card.

Still, maybe you should just buy a "Dell". Good Luck!

Peace Out...........tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

letdown

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
You probably need to look at spending a little more than that to build a real "dream machine". For that budget, you'll have to look for something in the way of an Athlon 1600+. I'd definitely recommend 512 megs of ram. And if it's a real gaming machine, I'd expect to spend around $200 on a card like the GF4 Ti4200. With the mobo, you're at about $500 already right there and you don't even have a case to put it in yet. =)

Poke around THGs How To guides a bit and figure out what you want and what you want to pay for.

digiguy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
Thank you for posting the list. I think they are all good and reasonable price for my budget. Anyway, I also worry about once I get a problem with the system, I have no idea how to fix it in anyways. I know I like to own a powerful box but have no skills that I can be able to be a tech guy who can fix the box whenever it gets problem.

On the other hand, if I go for a prefixed box like from Dell, HP, Alienware, or etc, I could probably save much time for myself and for other things.

I still thinking which way I should go but I would like to hear more opinions about my situation before I really get the bullets out of my pocket.

Thank you!

digiguy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
For the video card, I don't play much action games or extremely graphical, all I want is basic or enough for a normal life and for some games such as simulation. However, I do need a not so powerful but more than normal video card in my box. Of course, the price that I put recently is not include the monitor or keyboard or mouse, just a box. ;)

Thank you!

jamus34

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Note that the "pre-fab" computer companies (Dell, Gateway, HP, Comcrap) have piss-poor CS when it comes to problems. Expect to be on hold for hours trying to fix any serious problems that develop.

I've heard that Alienware and Falcon NW are better, but you will not be able to buy a PC from them at the prices you posted. Anyways building a PC is great exp. and gives you a sense of accomplishment.

there's a couple more ways to save money (like skipping on a burner, it's not really needed right this instant), but overall it's up to you...I plan on building (rebuilding mattering on how you look at it) my rig sometime this fall / winter...woulda been sooner but buying a house has killed the wallet for the near future.

Your using WHAT??? (quote from friend when I told him my PC specs)

digiguy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
ummm...of course I want to save as much money as I can but things just don't let me. All I want is a fast CPU, RAM, and a nice MB. Other that those I don't really care. whatever they are old or used, just put them into a box.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey D,

Regarding this post by "Jamus34":
"Note that the "pre-fab" computer companies (Dell, Gateway, HP, Comcrap) have piss-poor CS when it comes to problems. Expect to be on hold for hours trying to fix any serious problems that develop."

This is how you are going to learn for yourself how to fix the problems that you are going to run in to. My Loser/Leech friends never understand how much help, time & money I am saving them. Don't wear out your welcome from your friends, try to fix as much as you can by yourself(with tech support's help).

I agree with everyone who says "Dell"(& anyother "Pre-Fab" computers) sucks. I would never ever buy another Pre-Fab myself............but, if you don't know much about computers, I tell all my friends to buy a Dell, Gateway or Sony(the chicks seem to like the pretty colors). All newbies will have problems with their computers, it is much better that they think that they bought the "Best" computer in the world, than the computer I would build for them that benchmarks 20%-50% higher for the same price or lower, with all parts that will last through the next upgrade(like brand name Enermax 350 watt PSU's & HSF's that work for over-clocking). Most people I deal with assume if something goes wrong, it is my fault(not theirs). This is the reason you should get a Dell........If something goes wrong, you can call Dell, & they will not call you a "Idiot" like I will after you bad mouth the Machine that I built for you. Like Dell, I have scene it before, unlike Dell, I will take it personally. Most likely your friends will too.

My take, if you have a lot of time, get a book on how to build computers & read it first. If you have at least 2 good friends who know computers, ask them to help you build your own. If you don't, buy a Dell, until you need a new computer & answer these questions again. Good Luck!

Peace Out.................tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing