Upgrading motherboard and CPU. Please help

yads

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Hi I'm planning on upgrading my motherboard and cpu. I'm going from an celeron cpu to an AMD athalon XP processor. I was wondering if I would need to reinstall windows after I make this upgrade, since I'm keeping my old harddrive?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
yes and no...and ill even explain...

no because sometimes the OS will detect the new stuff nicely and it will go on its marry way...

yes because the OS may not detect it nicely and it wont go on its marry way...in either case...i suggest you backup your stuff...

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Yes backup because most likely it won't, but you may get lucky! IT's better to fresh install anyhow that way all the drivers for the new board, etc load well and don't conflict with the "old" stuff! Try it anyhow and see, if not you have your backup disks all ready; just format and refresh!

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey Y,

IMHO, It does not matter if you can or can't. Just Delete the partition, create a new partition, format & reinstall your OS. This will be the best thing you can do for long term stability. Also if your PSU is not 350+ watts, upgrade it with a new Enermax or Antec 350 or more watt PSU. Good Luck

Peace Out.............tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing