cant access PCI slot#3

dagger13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
Ok...here's the deal..cant seem to get #3 PCI slot to see anything!
MotherBoard=MS 6534 (Microstar)
intel 845
AMI bios 1.41
P-4 1500, Windows ME
512 of pc133
Siemens Speed stream NIC
Soundblaster live gamer
3com/US. Rob Modem
and a geforce 2 in the AGP slot....now...I have only 3 PCI slots, and according to the manual, AGP and 1 are shared...
2 and Onboard sound are shared(AC'97 disabled)
IN an effort to seperate IRQ's on critical functions, et al sound, video, and NIC, I find that which ever board i slip in PCI#3 disappears from my device manager!..
All IRQ's are tagged PNP/PCI in bios, and I cant find any thing to enable or disable any PCI slots in BIOS...how do I check that dang #3 slot??, and the only thing i can do in bios about irq's is either tag them isa or PnP/PCI
At this point i have Modem installed in that # slot..which I seldom use...but as I said..it dissappeared from device manager..just like the Soundcard did when I put it there...change em back(reverse em)..and the one in #2 will correctly appear, and WORK..and the one in #3 is gone.
Also a strange thing...if computer is plugged in...but shut off of course..when you install a card in #3...the computer boots up as soon as you make connection with slot!...thats seems very strange to me...but I dunno!
any advice is welcomed!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Never install a card with power in the power supply, the thing stays "hot" when the system is off, for detection of automatic startup inputs such as boot on lan and keyboard power controll. I don't think you hurt anything though.

Your PCI slot 3 is probably shared with something. You should try turning ACPI on in BIOS if not already on, and set PNP OS to Yes. If that doesn't work, try just the reverse, ACPI off and PNP OS to NO.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Hey Crashman,

Got the same problem with an old DFI P5BV3+ mobo for a P233MMX. Problem is only the 2nd PCI slot seems to work.
Think maybe the board is shot?

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know, look around in BIOS and make sure everything is set right, then give up.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>