Firewall software: yes or no?

I have a brand-new IBM ThinkPad, with WinXP Pro. I use a cable modem to access the Internet. I used Norton Personal Firewall on my old (now deceased) Dell desktop after I got the cable modem, with no problems. I installed Norton PF on a laptop I borrowed temporarily after the desktop died but before I got my new computer--and had many, many problems (faily old Toshiba with Windows ME, apparently an operating system that is easily bothered by such software). My company's systems guy says that a fine new machine such as the one I just bought should be ok without firewall software--that it would mainly be for my peace of mind (since this is a very current and good computer and as long as I update all the patches from MS, he believes it would be adequately protected). He doesn't like firewall software--says it causes more problems than it prevents. In using the new laptop today, I've gotten a bunch of weird popups even with Internet Explorer closed--which seems kinda weird. Any opinions out there on whether I should load the Norton PF onto my new computer? Or should I listen to my systems guy and not bother installing the firewall software on teh new computer?

map

----- SuzieQ wrote: -----

[...]

The popups you mentioned are a sign that your system is not secured from the rest of the net,the first step to securing your brand new computer is to install a firewall.The patchs your friend mentions are usally released only after te fact.
www.zonelabs.com

Greetings --

Your company's "systems guy" should start looking for a new line
of work. Given today's Internet environment, only a fool or a
masochist would go on-line without both a firewall and antivirus
protection.

There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.
The weak link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer user.
No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected to --
protect the computer user from him/herself.

To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

Protect Your PC

Home Computer Security
http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

List of Antivirus Software Vendors
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

Home PC Firewall Guide
http://www.firewallguide.com/

Scumware.com
http://www.scumware.com/

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"SuzieQ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a brand-new IBM ThinkPad, with WinXP Pro. I use a cable modem
to access the Internet. I used Norton Personal Firewall on my old (now
deceased) Dell desktop after I got the cable modem, with no problems.
I installed Norton PF on a laptop I borrowed temporarily after the
desktop died but before I got my new computer--and had many, many
problems (faily old Toshiba with Windows ME, apparently an operating
system that is easily bothered by such software). My company's systems
guy says that a fine new machine such as the one I just bought should
be ok without firewall software--that it would mainly be for my peace
of mind (since this is a very current and good computer and as long as
I update all the patches from MS, he believes it would be adequately
protected). He doesn't like firewall software--says it causes more
problems than it prevents. In using the new laptop today, I've gotten
a bunch of weird popups even with Internet Explorer closed--which
seems kinda weird. Any opinions out there on whether I should load the
Norton PF onto my new computer? Or should I listen to my systems guy
and not bother installing the firewall software on teh new computer?

MadMax

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003

SuzieQ wrote:

> I have a brand-new IBM ThinkPad, with WinXP Pro. I use a cable modem to access the Internet. I used Norton Personal Firewall on my old (now deceased) Dell desktop after I got the cable modem, with no problems. I installed Norton PF on a laptop I borrowed temporarily after the desktop died but before I got my new computer--and had many, many problems (faily old Toshiba with Windows ME, apparently an operating system that is easily bothered by such software). My company's systems guy says that a fine new machine such as the one I just bought should be ok without firewall software--that it would mainly be for my peace of mind (since this is a very current and good computer and as long as I update all the patches from MS, he believes it would be adequately protected). He doesn't like firewall software--says it causes more problems than it prevents. In using the new laptop today, I've gotten a bunch of weird popups even with Internet Explorer closed--which seems kinda weird. An
y opinions out there on whether I should load the Norton PF onto my new computer? Or should I listen to my systems guy and not bother installing the firewall software on teh new computer?
My 2cents-
Use a firewall (sygate,kerio,ZA)I use sygate
Use anti-spyware programs (spybot,spyware
blaster,ad-aware,spyware guard)
I use avast antivirus
And yes update at least once a month your windows.
Try out Thunderbird for mail and Firefox instead of IE6
You'll be safer.
-max

--
This message is virus free as far I can tell
Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply

Hi Max,

You know I'd like to use firefox but I think you can't use it to access
Hotamil! Is that true or do you know a way to set up hotamil init? Thanks.

"madmax" <maxpro4u@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> SuzieQ wrote:
>
> > I have a brand-new IBM ThinkPad, with WinXP Pro. I use a cable modem to
access the Internet. I used Norton Personal Firewall on my old (now
deceased) Dell desktop after I got the cable modem, with no problems. I
installed Norton PF on a laptop I borrowed temporarily after the desktop
died but before I got my new computer--and had many, many problems (faily
old Toshiba with Windows ME, apparently an operating system that is easily
bothered by such software). My company's systems guy says that a fine new
machine such as the one I just bought should be ok without firewall
software--that it would mainly be for my peace of mind (since this is a very
current and good computer and as long as I update all the patches from MS,
he believes it would be adequately protected). He doesn't like firewall
software--says it causes more problems than it prevents. In using the new
laptop today, I've gotten a bunch of weird popups even with Internet
Explorer closed--which seems kinda weird. An
> y opinions out there on whether I should load the Norton PF onto my new
computer? Or should I listen to my systems guy and not bother installing the
firewall software on teh new computer?
> My 2cents-
> Use a firewall (sygate,kerio,ZA)I use sygate
> Use anti-spyware programs (spybot,spyware
> blaster,ad-aware,spyware guard)
> I use avast antivirus
> And yes update at least once a month your windows.
> Try out Thunderbird for mail and Firefox instead of IE6
> You'll be safer.
> -max
>

> --
> This message is virus free as far I can tell
> Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply
> (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
> use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Use the firewall that is provided with XP, keep your system updated, don't
open email attachments fron unknown sources and yo won't need Norton or McAfee
(which causes so many problems)
"madmax" <maxpro4u@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> SuzieQ wrote:
>
> > I have a brand-new IBM ThinkPad, with WinXP Pro. I use a cable modem to
access the Internet. I used Norton Personal Firewall on my old (now deceased)
Dell desktop after I got the cable modem, with no problems. I installed Norton
PF on a laptop I borrowed temporarily after the desktop died but before I got
my new computer--and had many, many problems (faily old Toshiba with Windows
ME, apparently an operating system that is easily bothered by such software).
My company's systems guy says that a fine new machine such as the one I just
bought should be ok without firewall software--that it would mainly be for my
peace of mind (since this is a very current and good computer and as long as I
update all the patches from MS, he believes it would be adequately protected).
He doesn't like firewall software--says it causes more problems than it
prevents. In using the new laptop today, I've gotten a bunch of weird popups
even with Internet Explorer closed--which seems kinda weird. An
> y opinions out there on whether I should load the Norton PF onto my new
computer? Or should I listen to my systems guy and not bother installing the
firewall software on teh new computer?
> My 2cents-
> Use a firewall (sygate,kerio,ZA)I use sygate
> Use anti-spyware programs (spybot,spyware
> blaster,ad-aware,spyware guard)
> I use avast antivirus
> And yes update at least once a month your windows.
> Try out Thunderbird for mail and Firefox instead of IE6
> You'll be safer.
> -max
>

> --
> This message is virus free as far I can tell
> Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply
> (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
> use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

"SuzieQ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I have a brand-new IBM ThinkPad, with WinXP Pro. I use a cable modem to
access the Internet. I used Norton Personal Firewall on my old (now
deceased) Dell desktop after I got the cable modem, with no problems.

| Any opinions out there on whether I should load the Norton PF onto my new
computer? Or should I listen to my systems guy and not bother installing the
firewall software on teh new computer?

Firstly I'll chime in with the rest. Having an unprotected Internet
connection, especially an "always on" connection, like cable is a very bad
idea. Recent worms (Blaster, Sasser) which caused so many problems had no
effect on properly firewalled computers. Your "weird" popups are a symptom
that your system is vulnerable.

As you're using cable you might want to consider is an inexpensive broadband
router such as this one from Linksys even if you only have the one computer;

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=561

(I've seen those on sale as low as $20 USD on sale)

I have several computers connected to a router and use a software firewall
as well to monitor outbound traffic. None of my computers have taken a
single inbound hit at the software firewall in 3+ years since I've had the
router. It very effectively hides your computers/s from the outside world.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.