Sign in with
Your question

Oblivion was horridly dissapointing.

Last response: in Video Games
November 25, 2006 9:32:17 PM

I got this game because of all the hype its been getting graphicly and game playwise. Now before i go on ill just say graphicly this game was nothing new and lacking in alot of areas aside maybe towns and caves.

Game play wise the quests were not vary well thought out. The main quest if there was one just seemed like a couple of cave quests put together and the end of it was garbage. If there are bos's in this game it did a vary poor job of differentiating them from normal other fights. i found my self wondering why i even tried to lvl or get money. Sure the house thing was cool at first but i stoped caring after 3 houses.

Graphics i had to download tons of mods to even be able to look at it and wonder why they didnt make it look way better. Even the mods did little to fix it.

The main quest was way to short way to easy. I did a couple parts here and there while doing every side quest i could get in my book. And ended up finishing the main quest last night after trying to do a couple more parts. Needless to say when that happened my interest in this game went down the.... well you know.

To conclude the game was pretty fun but hardly adicting it starts out pretty fun alot of the charecter development is kinda of stupid though. leveling was mostly pointless other then to do it. buying a horse was pointless unless you liked watching your guy ride it or walking everywhere.

Though that said if there was a total conversion mod that could compleatly change this game to something else i might look into it other then that it was pretty dissapointing. I wouldnt say it was a waste of money since it was fun however it did get old pretty fast. If i knew what this game was before i got it i probly wouldnt have gotten it but im not sorry i did as it did keep me busy for a couple weeks.
December 1, 2006 11:44:19 AM

I enjoyed the game... but the leveling system did take the fun out of it for me as I found myself trying to maximize my levels by only utilizing certain skills. Since you're familiar with the game I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about... trying to use JUST three skills in order to get three +5s on your next level and save all the other skills you might use for your next level. Kinda detracted from the fun for me... no matter, I'm glad I bought it.
December 1, 2006 11:59:06 AM

Yeah i didnt do that as it would have been totaly game breaking to spend 80% of my play time doing such tedius tasks. That was a major gripe of mine. No insentive to lvl the game could be beat as low as lvl 5 if i remember correctly. IMO the down sides to the game dont out weigh the upsides even though the game wasnt 100% bad it was just vary broken.
December 1, 2006 5:42:49 PM

I did find it addictive - I played it for all in all about 80 hours, the main quest was way too short, but the assassin missions were great, became a bit too easy when you could cast invisibility. Also managed to skip half the stupid portal stuff by increasing agility and simply leaping over obstacles. Graphics do look amazing though, I can't see why you think they aren't that good, they perhaps don't justify the system that they need to run on high but same goes for a lot of rpgs, including morrowind. Maybe 9 out of 10 for me.
December 3, 2006 1:04:52 AM

With 100% ability to avoid NPC's the assasin missions to me were pointless and none eventfull.

The graphics in towns and caves were pretty nice but everything else was less then steller to say the least. To even make it worth looking at i had to download hundreds of megs of third party graphical updates otherwise the graphics alone would have drove me nuts.

The game was fun yes and i was into it. However its playability as a RPG degraded quite swiftly. As the game went on it became apperant most the stuff was pointless to even do like lvling for instance. Learning how to pick locks was also compleatly pointless with the lock pick that never breaks. The game is just vary broken.
December 3, 2006 2:00:18 PM

Again you say you downloaded hundreds of third party mods to make it look better, what game looks better then? The lock-pick that doesn't break is an optional side quest and you don't have to keep it if you don't want. As in morrowind the choice to create/keep ridiculously good items is on you, if you feel it makes the game too easy throw them away. The only mod I used was btmod to clean up the interface.
December 4, 2006 4:11:36 AM

I said it again because its almost nessisary to even enjoy the game. Hell when the game crashs i come to my half life 2 screenshoted desktop and wonder why oblivion looks worse then it 80% of the time.

Everything in oblivion is a option includion leveling i dont see your point at all.

You brought up another great point the interface. One of the wrost done RPG interfaces i have ever seen.
December 4, 2006 1:36:01 PM

It really depends on what you expected going into oblivion; if you were looking for a D&D style game then of course you would be dissapointed. It also helps if you've played morrowind because you get what Bethesda were trying to do.

And really mate don't get met started on Half-life 2, the ropes and fire in that are equivalent to games five years older than it. Doom 3 had the superior engine, which is why one of the biggest new games: Quake Wars is using its engine and not hl2 because hl2's engine is slow and doesn't handle large numbers of people well.
December 4, 2006 3:51:24 PM

Actualy i was hoping for a much better game so i was expecting to much. Besides they said it was a vast improvment over morrowind so i thought it would actualy be good and considering what everyone has been saying about it i gave it a try. Since to me a non D&D style RPG isnt really worth labaling as a RPG i should have known better but it got so much good stuff said about it i gave it a try. Overall it seemed like a newbies guide to RPG.

You got those engines backwords. The doom engine was vary limited in almost every respect especialy physics.

and if fire in hl2 looks 5 years old fire in oblivion looks 8 years old. seriously though if they are using good engine why cant they make it look better then something you deem a crappy engine.

The source engine is vary efficient with many things.

Course quake using a quake company made engine makes alot of sense. why licence a engine when you already made one. Why would you use someone elses engine when you already made one?

Edit: just searched for that game and yeah you can tell its using a crappy engine. Looks just as bad as every quake/doom game made thus far. if it plays like them the game will be as much of a waste.
December 4, 2006 5:17:41 PM

Clearly you are a fan of hl2 and as ever it is impossible to ever change anyone's mind about it so you know i'll be an ID fanboy and you can go with HL.

I did find some stuff a bit limited compared to morrowind, especially item creation, but the problem there is that it is feasible to make items that make you invulnerable which makes the game no fun, however I preferred the weapon charging in morrowind to oblivion as there was no ready supply of the stones to recharge your weapons, there should have been a shop that was cheaper than getting a mage to recharge it for like 5000 gold.

It's more of an engine test in my opinion than an rpg, it's fun to mess around in but the story is wank, bit like serious sam (tho that was actually designed merely to show off the engine so bit different).
December 4, 2006 5:44:56 PM

Yeah serious sam was fun but painfully obvious it was to show off the engine lol

All the crafting? in oblivion or rather most of the game like enchanting i just ignored didnt really seem like it was worth the time. If its true it was a engine showoff then i guess the game did what it was ment to though i found the out doors kinda lacking graphicly.

Anyways i like Half life 2 but content/story and a couple other things i preffered the first one.
December 4, 2006 10:02:30 PM

Just download and install Oscuro's Oblivion Overhual mod. It puts the fun back in. Seriously.
December 4, 2006 10:49:46 PM

Hmm that mod does look interesting, I was against gameplay changing mods but now I've finished the game it could be quite interesting to replay. Might wait till I get my 4600 cpu tho, was a bit laggy on my 3700.
December 4, 2006 11:52:14 PM

Its nice being a purist, but you gotta admit Oblivion has some major issues.
Mods make the game much much more enjoyable.
December 5, 2006 8:10:13 AM

I downloaded the make it look pretty pack and the one mod earlyer that moded the interface ill have to look into the pack you got and see what it does.
December 5, 2006 10:52:17 AM

I'll agree that initially the game appealled to me but after repeated attempts to get into I find that it does nothing for me.

One thing I will argue strenuosly about though is the gfx are pretty damn great and better than HL2. You're having a laugh if you think otherwise.
December 5, 2006 12:30:57 PM

I dont find the graphics in the game even close to great they arent bad but vary far from great

Edit

Ill go into a bit more detail of what i mean

Physics:

Oblivion: No point in going into this oblivion physics arent even worth mentioning for the most part.

Half Life 2: Cant say i have seen a game with better physics yet.

Texturing:

Oblivion: In the citys alot of the ruins and the cave areas oblivion has vary nice texturing. However in wide open areas, model textures, and some weapons even though they try and use bump mapping to make you think they look good.

Half Life 2: The only real texturing gripe i have about HL2 is how they did the static pasted on grass in almost every area when they could have done much better. Other then that the texturing they used is vastly more realistic looking then oblivion.

Modles:

Oblivion: Player (npc) models are vary poorly done makes me wonder how anyone can think they are good with such poor textures.

Half Life 2: To this day the player (npc) models are top 5 in games i have seen. Texuring is also done vary good and not every bit of detail in the models are simple textures they are actualy brushs.

Water:

Oblivion: it didnt look bad before i put a visual pack in but it defanitly looked alot better after. The water in the game looks pretty good.

Half Life 2: doesnt really look better or worse then oblivion most game dont do water vary good but these two games do a decent job.

Fogging:

Oblivion: Am i the only one to notice fogging in caves in this game looks like a battle of pixles? Now the fog effect outside is vary nicely done should be a template for other games IMO.

Half Life 2: Fog looks vary realistic in this game but it tends to look like its flowing in a giant box.

Sky:

Oblivion: Vary nice job done in the sky double layered clouds and sky made it look vary good. Though with out the graphics pack it looks rather stale sometimes.

Half Life 2: The sky in half life 2 is rather stale everywhere this is one place it doesnt look like they spent alot of time.

Lighting:

Oblivion: they did a vary good job in the lighting the blooming effect is great. However the HDR just seems to make everything glow instead of doing actualy HDR.

Half Life 2: IMO they did alot better job with thier HDR allowing FSAA at the same time made everything look vary good. Though like oblivion most of it looked mostly like blooming effects. Course you could tell half life had a HDR rendering effect the light looked more realistic.

Partical Effects:

Oblivion: wasnt that great didnt really notice it going through the game.

Half Life 2: awsome partical effects.

Reflections:

Oblivion: Vary nice reflections though it was wierd how in distances they looked like giant pixles and not eveything would reflect in water.

Half Life 2: Pretty much the world reflected on anything with a reflective surface (aside some strang trash cans) Though in both games you wouldnt reflect in the water which i find dissapointing in both games.

Replayability:

Both: I dont really have fun replaying either game however i do enjoy playing the new episodes in half life.

Overall:

Oblivion: If the previous post was true about a engine show off then i say it achived its goal but it could have been done alot better it lacks in alot of areas and got old fast.

Half Life 2: Looks great with some aging graphical issues course the source engine is vary upgradable and they can just update it like they did for episode one. Awsome physics better models and texturing then most games i have seen.
December 6, 2006 5:21:42 AM

Quote:
I enjoyed the game... but the leveling system did take the fun out of it for me as I found myself trying to maximize my levels by only utilizing certain skills. Since you're familiar with the game I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about... trying to use JUST three skills in order to get three +5s on your next level and save all the other skills you might use for your next level. Kinda detracted from the fun for me... no matter, I'm glad I bought it.

true but i actually never got a +4 or +5 modifier. I just played the game the way i wanted ( being a stealthy thief mostly using a bow).

Playing this way is more challenging then a pure fighter.

I played 125hours but then i kinda stop, didnt play PC games for a few months. A few weeks ago i re-install windows so i would have to re-install the game and all the mods witch i dont feel like doing.
Plus i have other games that im playing right now.

With texture mods and playing with HDR and AA enable the game looks good enough, but is a system hog.

Even my opteron dual core running at 2.6ghz x1900xtx 512 2 gigs of ram had trouble
December 6, 2006 10:42:47 AM

how did you get fsaa and hdr? the game wont allow it.

my system specs should be lower then yours and i can run it at 1920x1200 everything cranked to high as it can go with a crap load of high res mods anda few that add graphics and i get 30 to 60 frames. only time i seem to get it to dip to 30 is in the ultra ugly areas where all the colored grass is. not just a little though i mean as far as you can see all around you.
December 6, 2006 10:05:50 PM

To have AA and HDR ( before the catalysts driver 6.10) you had too get the chuck patch. Chuck is a guy at ATI that made a patch( wich is really a stand alone driver wich you had to download seperatly off the ATI site).

But since catalyst 6.10 the chuck fonctionality is included. All you need to do is enable AA in the Catalyst Control Center or ATI Tray Tool is you have it and HDR in the game options and voila.

But your performance will go down quite a bit and you will need the No refraction mod because otherwise you can see the shimmering effect of Oblivion gates throught objects ans terrain.

You should look into more mods, on the Oblivion forum i saw a team remake all the forest so its more diverse. There was dark forests swamps etc , pretty nice.

Here is a few of my screenies, i think they looks pretty damn nice.
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/view/46113/Fort.JPG
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/view/46113/IC-Fly-By...
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/view/46113/textures....
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/view/46113/moonoverf...
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/view/46113/IC-fromat...
December 6, 2006 10:11:51 PM

ahh that would explain a couple things. i use the omega drivers and not the ati supplyed ones. Ill have to take a look into it and ill defanitly check out the mod links. Ty for the info.
December 6, 2006 10:21:18 PM

Quote:
ahh that would explain a couple things. i use the omega drivers and not the ati supplyed ones. Ill have to take a look into it and ill defanitly check out the mod links. Ty for the info.

Oh well since your here( didnt think you'd answer this fast :p )

Well here is a few mods that i used just look around the oblivion official forum or maybe TESSource.com

Natural environement 2.1.xx ( not sure which version they are up too)
Adds better sky water birds in the air butterflies changing wheater, bigger smaller trees...

Jarrod texture mod( the Capn'killz one has a bigger resolution but cause more stuttering)

Parallax cities- better textures for castles house walls and more

Improved Facial textures

BTMod- for a better interface

No physic guards- so the guards dont just magically come bust you from the other side of town when you rob someone inside a house where no one should hear it.

anyways thats a few, if you have any questions just ask.
Oh yeah you should also look on the official forum in the mod section for
OBMM ( Oblivion Mod Manager) a nice utility for managing your mods with any confusions between any of them, and to be able to enable and disable them more easily.
December 6, 2006 10:38:14 PM

yeah i have those aside the facial texture and the guard one. guess i didnt look hard enough for the facial one i gave up after two days of looking for mods :D  ill defanitly have to give this a go. i also have hte one that makes the roads and ground areas look better like the mod for making buildings look better.
December 7, 2006 9:47:15 PM

Another point i forgot to mention... you cant really compare HL2 and Oblivion.

There is a whole lot more going on in Oblivion then in HL2. HL2 is just level after level of linear gameplay and its heavily scripted.

In Oblivion you can walk from one end of the map to the other and in the meantime all of the 1000 NPCs actually still go about their business.

So for me to have a game of that scope that you can play for more then 300hours and looking that good is more impressive then HL2.
December 7, 2006 10:18:12 PM

I think my play time fell short of 48 actualy hours played. After the horrible main quest i lost all will to play anymore.

Of course oblivion has this thing called active area. Where only things in that active area are technicly doing anything. Everywhere else its doing nothing unlike say a mmo where everything is going on everywhere. Oblivion just doesnt do that.
December 11, 2006 4:16:47 PM

I didnt like oblivion either. I felt the open ended game play was too much for me to handle. I felt the story was pointless. I didn;t care for my character or the ones i came in contact with. bascially its flaw to me, was that it was TOOO open ended.

sure its cool that I can do wahtever I want, all alone on this single player world, but it needs to be online.

I got bored of it after the first hour and just started killing the people in the castle city and fighting the guards and stealing their eqipment. then i deleted the game from my system. Thank god I didn't buy it.

i have a rule. first, I try a game.. i either torrent it, demo it, beta it, or borrow it form a friend. if its fun, I go buy it. if it sucks, I delete it and throw it out..

game compnies have to learn how to make games, and start releasing demos more freqquently. Ive been ripped off by shitty games enough. Its not happening ever again.

Quote:
I got this game because of all the hype its been getting graphicly and game playwise. Now before i go on ill just say graphicly this game was nothing new and lacking in alot of areas aside maybe towns and caves.

Game play wise the quests were not vary well thought out. The main quest if there was one just seemed like a couple of cave quests put together and the end of it was garbage. If there are bos's in this game it did a vary poor job of differentiating them from normal other fights. i found my self wondering why i even tried to lvl or get money. Sure the house thing was cool at first but i stoped caring after 3 houses.

Graphics i had to download tons of mods to even be able to look at it and wonder why they didnt make it look way better. Even the mods did little to fix it.

The main quest was way to short way to easy. I did a couple parts here and there while doing every side quest i could get in my book. And ended up finishing the main quest last night after trying to do a couple more parts. Needless to say when that happened my interest in this game went down the.... well you know.

To conclude the game was pretty fun but hardly adicting it starts out pretty fun alot of the charecter development is kinda of stupid though. leveling was mostly pointless other then to do it. buying a horse was pointless unless you liked watching your guy ride it or walking everywhere.

Though that said if there was a total conversion mod that could compleatly change this game to something else i might look into it other then that it was pretty dissapointing. I wouldnt say it was a waste of money since it was fun however it did get old pretty fast. If i knew what this game was before i got it i probly wouldnt have gotten it but im not sorry i did as it did keep me busy for a couple weeks.
December 11, 2006 10:19:52 PM

Well i do agree with alot of your points. However the open ended part i typicaly like though i think something should have some sort of "lineage"

I do agree though this game as long as they fix the things like graphics put more time into the quests and give the leveling system a total rehaul would make this a really nice MMO.

It just seems to me it has great potential in the PVP area. So far only one MMO has gotten me when it comes to PVP (which is the only reason i would ever play a mmo) Lineage 2.

You can pvp anywhere, anytime, any person, anyreason.

To me if that isnt the rule set on pvp its not pvp. Wow for example falls vary short IMO and i use PVP in that game vary lightly.

BTW the try it before you buy it is how i work. I download everything and buy it if i want it after a couple days.
!