Emptying a hidden recycle bin?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop, how would i empty it
after deleting files?

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You can empty the recycle bin from within windows explorer.

Tx2 wrote:
> Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop, how would i empty it
> after deleting files?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Tx2" <tx2newscollection-invalid-@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop, how would i empty it
> after deleting files?

Before hiding the bin, right click on it, choose properties, then check the
box, "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin, Remove files immediately when
deleted". Or, when you want to delete a file, click on the file (as to
highlight it), then hold the "Shift" button down when you hit the delete
button; this will bypass the bin altogether for deletion selected files.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop?

It's your computer. Do as you please. It is "highly" configurable!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Tx2" <tx2newscollection-invalid-@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop, how would i empty it
> after deleting files?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In article <#u$AJKvSEHA.3224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, I.fix.probs@for.you,
a.k.a Phil says...

[top posting corrected]

> Tx2 wrote:
> > Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop, how would i empty it
> > after deleting files?

> You can empty the recycle bin from within windows explorer.

OK, but perhaps you could answer the question of how i would do it, not
where i can do it?

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Tx2 wrote:
> In article <#u$AJKvSEHA.3224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
> I.fix.probs@for.you, a.k.a Phil says...
>
> [top posting corrected]
>
>> Tx2 wrote:
>>> Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop, how would i empty it
>>> after deleting files?
>
>> You can empty the recycle bin from within windows explorer.
>

> OK, but perhaps you could answer the question of how i would do it,
> not where i can do it?

Sorry, I assumed you'd know how to emtpy the recycle bin as its a very basic
computer function. In windows explorer: click on the recycle bin in the left
hand pane. In the right hand pane you will see your deleted files. Either
click File, empty recycle bin or right click in right pane and choose empty

In article <MPG.1b2bc8d587cde7f89898ce@news.individual.net>,
tx2newscollection-invalid-@hotmail.com, a.k.a Tx2 says...
> In article <#u$AJKvSEHA.3224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, I.fix.probs@for.you,
> a.k.a Phil says...
>
> [top posting corrected]
>
> > Tx2 wrote:
> > > Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop, how would i empty it
> > > after deleting files?
>
> > You can empty the recycle bin from within windows explorer.
>

> OK, but perhaps you could answer the question of how i would do it, not
> where i can do it?

Not to worry, i have found out how to do it myself ... for the benefit
of others who may wonder, simply open an 'explorer' window (i used a
right click on START, and the "explore all users" option.

In the left hand pane of the resulting window, at the bottom, is the
Recycle Bin. Right clicking on it produces a menu within which "empty
recycle bin" is shown ... click to empty

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Tx2 wrote:
> In article <MPG.1b2bc8d587cde7f89898ce@news.individual.net>,
> tx2newscollection-invalid-@hotmail.com, a.k.a Tx2 says...
>> In article <#u$AJKvSEHA.3224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
>> I.fix.probs@for.you, a.k.a Phil says...
>>
>> [top posting corrected]

>>> You can empty the recycle bin from within windows explorer.
>>

>> OK, but perhaps you could answer the question of how i would do it,
>> not where i can do it?
>
> Not to worry, i have found out how to do it myself ... for the benefit
> of others who may wonder, simply open an 'explorer' window (i used a
> right click on START, and the "explore all users" option.
>
> In the left hand pane of the resulting window, at the bottom, is the
> Recycle Bin. Right clicking on it produces a menu within which "empty
> recycle bin" is shown ... click to empty

This isn't instant messaging. Have some paitence. I already answered you
before you posted this. Six minutes after you asked how to do it in
explorer. Sometimes newsgroup answer take miutes, hours, or even days. There
are two ways to empty the recycle bin from within explorer. Read my answer.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In article <O85BfcvSEHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, I.fix.probs@for.you,
a.k.a Phil says...

[...]

> > OK, but perhaps you could answer the question of how i would do it,
> > not where i can do it?
>
> Sorry, I assumed you'd know how to emtpy the recycle bin as its a very basic
> computer function.

Yes it is, but it is not common for the recycle bin to be hidden.

I am very aware of the various methods to empty it that are available
via the desktop path, but not of those using explorer. TBH, i had never
even really noticed the RB in explorer as i have always accessed it via
the desktop.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In article <OrGYVuvSEHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, I.fix.probs@for.you,
a.k.a Phil says...

[...]

> This isn't instant messaging. Have some paitence. I already answered you
> before you posted this. Six minutes after you asked how to do it in
> explorer. Sometimes newsgroup answer take miutes, hours, or even days. There
> are two ways to empty the recycle bin from within explorer. Read my answer.

Firstly, i know this is "instant messaging" ... i have been using Usenet
in excess of 10 years. I certainly appreciate messages (and their
replies) are unlikely to appear with any sort of 'synchronisation'. I
simply posted my 'findings' to assist others.

Secondly therefore, your answer hadn't appeared prior to me posting the
solution i had already fathomed given your initial reply re : using
Explorer

Thirdly (in reply to another of your posts) yes, emptying the RB is a
very basic task, and i have done it on many an occasions from the first
manifestations of Windows 95 thru to XP Pro via the desktop but never
when it was hidden.

Your answer would have been read were it available to me in my news
client, which it wasn't at the time of posting.

HAND :)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In article <ebVdWOvSEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, noway@nothere.com,
a.k.a Tom says...

> "Tx2" <tx2newscollection-invalid-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop, how would i empty it
> > after deleting files?
>
> Before hiding the bin, right click on it, choose properties, then check the
> box, "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin, Remove files immediately when
> deleted". Or, when you want to delete a file, click on the file (as to
> highlight it), then hold the "Shift" button down when you hit the delete
> button; this will bypass the bin altogether for deletion selected files.

Thanks, but as a 'safety net' i do not want to bypass the Recycle Bin
for deleted files in this instance. I am aware of the procedures you
detail for doing so.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In article <OqNotcwSEHA.3140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com, a.k.a Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
says...

> Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop?
>
> It's your computer. Do as you please. It is "highly" configurable!

As is your somewhat 'flexible' quoting ... the *whole* question i
originally posed read quite correctly with "should" placed at the fore.

HAND :)

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Why hide it?
"Tx2" <tx2newscollection-invalid-@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop, how would i empty it
> after deleting files?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

a better question..............why have it? unless you are person who keeps
score by how much you have then i could understand why you would want it.
but there is no "need' to have it.

"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> Why hide it?
> "Tx2" <tx2newscollection-invalid-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop, how would i empty it
> > after deleting files?

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Why have a recycle bin?? Is that your question?
"Chuck" <NoSpam@thegolfcourse.com> wrote in message
> a better question..............why have it? unless you are person who keeps
> score by how much you have then i could understand why you would want it.
> but there is no "need' to have it.
>

> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> > Why hide it?
> > "Tx2" <tx2newscollection-invalid-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Should i hide the Recycle Bin from the desktop, how would i empty it
> > > after deleting files?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

The same way that you did it previously.

Bob I wrote:
> The same way that you did it previously.
>
> Tx2 wrote:
>
>> In article <#u$AJKvSEHA.3224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
>> I.fix.probs@for.you, a.k.a Phil says...
>>
>> [top posting corrected]

>>> You can empty the recycle bin from within windows explorer.
>>>

>> OK, but perhaps you could answer the question of how i would do it,
>> not where i can do it?
Even you have hidden it from the Desktop. the Disk Cleanup Tool [Start/My
Computer/right click the Hard Disk (usually C)/In the Dropdown Menu, click
"Properties"/under the "Gen" Tab, you will see this Tool] should still know
it is there. If you want to empty it, just checkmark that Box.

--
Gene K