Okay Ben, eMachines wins the contest................

I have spent the afternoon fighting with an eMachines computer...

I have been performing an ATX case & powersupply swap (something I
have done many, many times)... After working on this for some hours,
I realized that there actually is a company that provides less
documentation than HP, and that company is eMachines..

I now have the computer up and running, (except for the front USB
ports, which e-machines used totally odd color wires from the
motherboard to the ports, and the motherboard is NOT marked, nor can I
find a diagram anywhere on the net..

The eMachines website makes HP's look good (gads!)

So, eMachines wins the prize for the worst computer product. Let's
all hope that they do not infect Gateway with their shoddiness..

JM

Yep! Ever try to get drivers from the eMachines web site? ... Ben Myers

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:41:51 GMT, Just mee <me@mydomain.net.invalid> wrote:

>I have spent the afternoon fighting with an eMachines computer...
>
>I have been performing an ATX case & powersupply swap (something I
>have done many, many times)... After working on this for some hours,
>I realized that there actually is a company that provides less
>documentation than HP, and that company is eMachines..
>
>I now have the computer up and running, (except for the front USB
>ports, which e-machines used totally odd color wires from the
>motherboard to the ports, and the motherboard is NOT marked, nor can I
>find a diagram anywhere on the net..
>
>The eMachines website makes HP's look good (gads!)
>
>So, eMachines wins the prize for the worst computer product. Let's
>all hope that they do not infect Gateway with their shoddiness..
>

>JM

Not in recent memory... Am I in for another "treat"?

JM

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:53:48 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>Yep! Ever try to get drivers from the eMachines web site? ... Ben Myers

It's not too hard with a DVM and a continuity checker to determine which
posts on the USB header go to which signal. Most MBs nowadays have the
header in the standard 5x2 configuration with a missing pin on one side
usually indicating where GND is.

"Just mee" <me@mydomain.net.invalid> wrote in message
> I have spent the afternoon fighting with an eMachines computer...
>
> I have been performing an ATX case & powersupply swap (something I
> have done many, many times)... After working on this for some hours,
> I realized that there actually is a company that provides less
> documentation than HP, and that company is eMachines..
>
> I now have the computer up and running, (except for the front USB
> ports, which e-machines used totally odd color wires from the
> motherboard to the ports, and the motherboard is NOT marked, nor can I
> find a diagram anywhere on the net..
>
> The eMachines website makes HP's look good (gads!)
>
> So, eMachines wins the prize for the worst computer product. Let's
> all hope that they do not infect Gateway with their shoddiness..
>

> JM

Most people do not have voltmeters and continuity checkers at their disposal.
Heck, I've serviced thousands of computers without either. The computers have
survived the ordeal and so have I.

There is no excuse for sub-standard documentation from any name-brand company,
or, at least, from the company manufacturing the motherboard. The latter
suggests reliance on well-documented motherboards with Intel, Asus, and a couple
of other brands. Of course, a computer assembler (dare they call themselves a
"manufacturer"?) like eMachines does not consider documentation to be important.
Only the cost. And the cost. And the cost. This gives us all an indication of
the direction in which the merged Gateway-eMachines is heading. Down.

.... Ben Myers

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:22:35 GMT, "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote:

>It's not too hard with a DVM and a continuity checker to determine which
>posts on the USB header go to which signal. Most MBs nowadays have the
>header in the standard 5x2 configuration with a missing pin on one side
>usually indicating where GND is.
>
>"Just mee" <me@mydomain.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> I have spent the afternoon fighting with an eMachines computer...
>>
>> I have been performing an ATX case & powersupply swap (something I
>> have done many, many times)... After working on this for some hours,
>> I realized that there actually is a company that provides less
>> documentation than HP, and that company is eMachines..
>>
>> I now have the computer up and running, (except for the front USB
>> ports, which e-machines used totally odd color wires from the
>> motherboard to the ports, and the motherboard is NOT marked, nor can I
>> find a diagram anywhere on the net..
>>
>> The eMachines website makes HP's look good (gads!)
>>
>> So, eMachines wins the prize for the worst computer product. Let's
>> all hope that they do not infect Gateway with their shoddiness..
>>

>> JM

You got it right. Same sort of treat as one encounters trying to scour up
computer system drivers from the HP web site... Ben Myers

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 02:33:25 GMT, Just mee <me@mydomain.net.invalid> wrote:

>Not in recent memory... Am I in for another "treat"?
>

>JM
>
>On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:53:48 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
>(Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>Yep! Ever try to get drivers from the eMachines web site? ... Ben Myers

I agree, one should not need a DVM or other similar tools to assemble a
computer. Personally, I rarely have to use one but when I do, it usually
saves me in one way or another. My message was simply to point out to the
OP one way to overcome shortfalls due to lack of documentation.

> Most people do not have voltmeters and continuity checkers at their
disposal.
> Heck, I've serviced thousands of computers without either. The computers
have
> survived the ordeal and so have I.
>
> There is no excuse for sub-standard documentation from any name-brand
company,
> or, at least, from the company manufacturing the motherboard. The latter
> suggests reliance on well-documented motherboards with Intel, Asus, and a
couple
> of other brands. Of course, a computer assembler (dare they call
themselves a
> "manufacturer"?) like eMachines does not consider documentation to be
important.
> Only the cost. And the cost. And the cost. This gives us all an
indication of
> the direction in which the merged Gateway-eMachines is heading. Down.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:22:35 GMT, "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com>
wrote:

> >It's not too hard with a DVM and a continuity checker to determine which
> >posts on the USB header go to which signal. Most MBs nowadays have the
> >header in the standard 5x2 configuration with a missing pin on one side
> >usually indicating where GND is.
> >
> >"Just mee" <me@mydomain.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >> I have spent the afternoon fighting with an eMachines computer...
> >>
> >> I have been performing an ATX case & powersupply swap (something I
> >> have done many, many times)... After working on this for some hours,
> >> I realized that there actually is a company that provides less
> >> documentation than HP, and that company is eMachines..
> >>
> >> I now have the computer up and running, (except for the front USB
> >> ports, which e-machines used totally odd color wires from the
> >> motherboard to the ports, and the motherboard is NOT marked, nor can I
> >> find a diagram anywhere on the net..
> >>
> >> The eMachines website makes HP's look good (gads!)
> >>
> >> So, eMachines wins the prize for the worst computer product. Let's
> >> all hope that they do not infect Gateway with their shoddiness..
> >>

> >> JM

Oh, JOY!

JM