Temp folder

In the process of adding a new user to my WindowsXP Home
system (which now has one user folder in addition to
the "default user" and "all user" folders), I discovered a
large (890MB) Temp folder in the local settings folder of
my active user (administrator) folder. If I copy the
existing user profile to the new user will this file
transfer? Is it necessary or could I delete it in the
existing user folder?

Hi,

Generally, nothing in a temp folder is essential. I would not copy that
file over. Right-click the file and select properties, see if the tabs tell
you anything about the origins of this file.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Fred Hoffman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the process of adding a new user to my WindowsXP Home
> system (which now has one user folder in addition to
> the "default user" and "all user" folders), I discovered a
> large (890MB) Temp folder in the local settings folder of
> my active user (administrator) folder. If I copy the
> existing user profile to the new user will this file
> transfer? Is it necessary or could I delete it in the
> existing user folder?

Thanks, Rick. The "Temp" folder is a sub-folder of "Local
Settings". Local Settings is a hidden file, though not
(based on some playing round with the view tab of folder
options) a systems folder. When I make Local settings
visible, the Temp sub-folder properties do not indicate is
is a hidden folder. If it isn't essential, I would like
to delete it from the existing user account as well as not
copying it to the new account. What do you think?
Fred

wrote in message
>> In the process of adding a new user to my WindowsXP Home
>> system (which now has one user folder in addition to
>> the "default user" and "all user" folders), I
discovered a
>> large (890MB) Temp folder in the local settings folder
of
>> my active user (administrator) folder. If I copy the
>> existing user profile to the new user will this file
>> transfer? Is it necessary or could I delete it in the
>> existing user folder?
>

>.

Fred Hoffman uttered the following on 6/5/2004 5:29 PM:
> In the process of adding a new user to my WindowsXP Home
> system (which now has one user folder in addition to
> the "default user" and "all user" folders), I discovered a
> large (890MB) Temp folder in the local settings folder of
> my active user (administrator) folder. If I copy the
> existing user profile to the new user will this file
> transfer? Is it necessary or could I delete it in the
> existing user folder?
Hi Fred, this folder can be deleted or emptied, but it will be recreated
during next sessions. Run DiskCleanup as this should empty this folder
and Temp Internet Files folder when u run it. Hope this helps. Rob

Hi,

That is the user-defined temp folder, and the same rules apply as a
system-defined temp folder. You should be able to delete it without
reservation.

--

> Thanks, Rick. The "Temp" folder is a sub-folder of "Local
> Settings". Local Settings is a hidden file, though not
> (based on some playing round with the view tab of folder
> options) a systems folder. When I make Local settings
> visible, the Temp sub-folder properties do not indicate is
> is a hidden folder. If it isn't essential, I would like
> to delete it from the existing user account as well as not
> copying it to the new account. What do you think?
> Fred

Thanks, Rob.
I have moved the Temp file to an external hard drive (to
see what happens), and there appears to be no problem with
removing it from my user folder. However, DiscCleanup
shows some other Temp file than the one that appears in
the user folder. It was indicating the Temp file was
empty when in fact the one in my user folder was 890MB!
It appears that there are Temp files in each user folder
and in the C\: root directory as well. None of them seems
to correspond to the Temp file that DiscCleanup displays.
It would be nice if I could empty the Temp file
automatically or if at least it could be done through
DiscCleanup.
Fred

Thanks Rick.
I have moved the Temp file to an external hard drive to
have a fallback if trouble developed, but there appears to
be no problem with removing it from my user folder. It
would be nice if I could empty the Temp file automatically
or if at least it could be done through DiscCleanup.
However, DiscCleanup shows some other Temp file than the
one that appears in the user folder. It was indicating
the Temp file was empty when in fact the one in my user
folder was 890MB! It appears that there are Temp files in
each user folder and in the C\: root directory as well.
None of them seems to correspond to the Temp file that
DiscCleanup displays. Any ideas for keeping the size of
the Temp file down.
Fred

Hi,

Don't know of, nor would you want to, limit the size of the user-defined
temp folder. You can always create a small .bat file to clear the contents
with this target:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

Something like this in notepad saved as deltemp.bat should take care of
stray files in the user temp folders::

erase /q /f /s "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
exit

But keep in mind that some programs will be actively using files in the temp
folder, so it may not be such a great idea. I don't use the disk cleanup
myself, but my impression is that it included the local user's temp folder
as well as the system ones.