Sign in with
Your question

MMR: Xbox 360 Revs Up, Thanks to Gears of War

Last response: in Video Games
November 27, 2006 4:16:37 PM

Does Microsoft have the best next-generation console on the market right now? That may be debatable, but the software giant certainly has the most to offer, including hot new titles like Gears of War, a movie download service for Xbox Live and an HD-DVD player add-on. Here's a quick look at the Xbox 360 at one year old.
November 28, 2006 11:40:58 AM

I’ll quote Eddie Murphy,
Quote:
“If a guys been starving for weeks on an island with absolutely no food and you give him a cheap old soggy cracker, That will be the best cracker the man has ever had in his whole life. But then after a few days of eating the same crackers he will start to say to him self, hey I just have regular old crackers”

What I am trying to say is that although Gears of War is a good game, it is just a regular good game. I can see this game being a breath of fresh air to people that have had no other means bar an Xbox 360 for playing games. But that is only because the 360 has been starving people of new and good gaming content for months now.

I would also like to bring up another point. How can Microsoft think that they can have a very successful media rental service of the likes to compete with I tunes on a unit like the Xbox 360, a unit that only has a mere 10GB’s of hard disc space which in it’s self is barely enough to store a decent quality 720p movie. A unit that when left on it’s own is incapable of transferring any of the medium that has been rented to a portable device.

I could see the PS3 completely crushing the 360 when it comes to this market. Not only is it graced with a 60GB hard disk, it will also be able to connect wirelessly to your PSP. With that combination coupled with a good downloadable media service it would completely out do the 360 on every level.

Time will tell though, and in the end way it up. The PS3 has only been out for a matter of weeks and if at this point it is at all capable of keeping up with a consol that has had 1 year to mature just think about what it will be like after a whole year.

That’s my rant over.
November 29, 2006 2:50:45 AM

Quote:
I’ll quote Eddie Murphy, “If a guys been starving for weeks on an island with absolutely no food and you give him a cheap old soggy cracker, That will be the best cracker the man has ever had in his whole life. But then after a few days of eating the same crackers he will start to say to him self, hey I just have regular old crackers”

Can it be said about ANY game then? After all, really good games are not that often...
Quote:

I would also like to bring up another point. How can Microsoft think that they can have a very successful media rental service of the likes to compete with I tunes on a unit like the Xbox 360, a unit that only has a mere 10GB’s of hard disc space which in it’s self is barely enough to store a decent quality 720p movie. A unit that when left on it’s own is incapable of transferring any of the medium that has been rented to a portable device.

I could see the PS3 completely crushing the 360 when it comes to this market. Not only is it graced with a 60GB hard disk, it will also be able to connect wirelessly to your PSP. With that combination coupled with a good downloadable media service it would completely out do the 360 on every level.

Time will tell though, and in the end way it up. The PS3 has only been out for a matter of weeks and if at this point it is at all capable of keeping up with a consol that has had 1 year to mature just think about what it will be like after a whole year.

That’s my rant over.

In my opinion, all available services with downloadable video suck right now. I do not know any that would allow me to burn a standard DVD, for example. And the price sometimes is even higher then purchase the same video on DVD.

But I also understand that it is only a beginning. Online video is the future. I predict that in 5 - 10 years even regular TVs will have internet connectivity and may be hard drives.

So, it is a beginning with MS movie service as well. So service sucks as it is, but MS has two advantages over Sony:

1) It has earlier start on downloadable content.

2) It can integrate the service with Windows Vista better and faster. And once you can transfer movies freely and painlessly to your computer and back, and watch it on either on computer or on XBox360, then hard drive size of XBox really does not matter. Nor offline downloading that can be done, again, by computer.

But of cause, these things are in future and MS can screw up big if it will not develop its services fast enough (but so can Sony, BTW). Time will tell, but right now MS is better positioned then Sony.

I only wish that Nintendo had some simpler and cheaper version of this as well, so that there would be more competition...
November 30, 2006 12:37:27 PM

Quote:
I’ll quote Eddie Murphy, “If a guys been starving for weeks on an island with absolutely no food and you give him a cheap old soggy cracker, That will be the best cracker the man has ever had in his whole life. But then after a few days of eating the same crackers he will start to say to him self, hey I just have regular old crackers”

Can it be said about ANY game then? After all, really good games are not that often...That’s my point though Gears of War is not a very good game in the grand scheme of things. Good graphics it has a plenty but nothing that can beat the best of what a PC has to offer and on top of that a story and game play that will give any person that has been playing first person shooters for any length of time a yawn or two.

Thankfully we are at a point (unlike 2002) in gaming where we have a lot of good games to play at the moment. If you are a gamer that likes a multitude of genres there really has not been this good a time in years as far as choice is concerned, shame that’s for the PC and not the 360.
!