Installing programs to one account, not all.

How can I make it so that if I install a program (Paint shop Pro, for example) it will only install to MY account, and not everyones? Is there some preference I have to set for this to work??

Thanks. I really need the help!
3 answers Last reply
More about installing programs account

    Jamie wrote:
    > How can I make it so that if I install a program (Paint shop Pro, for
    > example) it will only install to MY account, and not everyones? Is
    > there some preference I have to set for this to work??

    Not all programs will do that. And that is actually the opposite that most
    people ask. heh

    Essentially, you can do this wil file and directory permissions, given that
    you use NTFS and you don't have everyone configured as administrators.

    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

    Doug's Windows XP Security Console

    Good Luck.. Read up, do Google searches, look around these newsgroups and
    ask questions as needed..

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 19:56:03 -0700, "Jamie" <jamie@frozenmidnight.com>
    wrote:

    >How can I make it so that if I install a program (Paint shop Pro, for example) it will only install to MY account, and not everyones? Is there some preference I have to set for this to work??
    >
    >Thanks. I really need the help!

    The program is available to all accounts, the problem is that you must
    select the option for software to be available for you or all users.
    If it doesn`t ask it will either save the shortcuts in your profile or
    all users. To get the program avail for all users:

    1. Right click Start button
    2. Select Open All Users
    3. Change directory to programs
    4. Select View, Explorer Bar, Folders from menu
    5. Find your Start Menu folders
    6. Find the program shortcuts
    7. Select them and select Edit, Cut from menu
    8. Browse back to All Users\Start Menu\Programs
    9. Select Edit, Paste to place shortcuts
    10. Programs are now avail for everyone!

    Peter Hutchison

    Peter Hutchison wrote:
    > The program is available to all accounts, the problem is that you must
    > select the option for software to be available for you or all users.
    > If it doesn`t ask it will either save the shortcuts in your profile or
    > all users. To get the program avail for all users:
    >
    > 1. Right click Start button
    > 2. Select Open All Users
    > 3. Change directory to programs
    > 4. Select View, Explorer Bar, Folders from menu
    > 5. Find your Start Menu folders
    > 6. Find the program shortcuts
    > 7. Select them and select Edit, Cut from menu
    > 8. Browse back to All Users\Start Menu\Programs
    > 9. Select Edit, Paste to place shortcuts
    > 10. Programs are now avail for everyone!

    Peter is partially right. This is assuming every user is administrative
    level (if using NTFS) and/or they have full rights to every directory and
    registry entry they need to run the applications OR you are using FAT32.

    If using XP as a multi-user system with the differentiating levels of access
    (limited user, administrator user - etc) then you cannot be sure without
    some footwork that every program you might install will:

    1) Put a shortcut in the ALL USERS start menu/desktop for access to try and
    run the application.
    2) Install in a folder and put registry entries in such a way that all users
    (limited and up) can access them.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

Microsoft Windows XP