Random Problems

molokoplus

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2002
My system is about nine months old, and the past month or two I've started having wierd problems. For instance:

- I can't burn CDs, it gives an error message saying the system is unable to read from the source drive (hard drive, in this case)

- In Internet Explorer, my computer will sometimes freeze up if I type an address into the field at the top. Clicking on links or bookmarks, however, this never happens.

- At startup I occasionally get the error message "This program has performed an illegal operation and will shut
down." The computer will not finish booting after this.

- Windows Media Player often will freeze the system up temporarily when loading an mpeg; after a few minutes, it will come back to life and play the file normally.

- My machine will sometimes lock up when I open the "My Computer" window.

These problems are all intermittant; some happen only rarely. They've persisted through two fresh Windows installations (once just formatting, the other using fdisk to wipe partitions then reformatting). I've run IBM's diagnostic program, which says my HD (80gb Deskstar) is fine. I've also run a memory checker which performed burn-in tests on my ram, which also passed. I'm not sure how to check the integrity of my motherboard, so I haven't done that yet.

Anyway, I'm looking for any suggestions as to what could be causing this problem and ways to troubleshoot it.

My system:
Asus A7V133 motherboard, running whatever bios it shipped with last august
Athlon 1.33 ghz cpu
512 mb generic pc133 sdram
SB Live
Elsa Gladiac geforce 3
Creative 52x cdrom
Plextor Plexwriter 16/10/40 cdr

Any ideas?

mp

You failed to mention which Windows operating system you're running, but out of curiosity it sounds like you're running Win98SE with some corrupted files.

You never know what you can do until you try.

molokoplus

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2002
OK...

My power supply is probably sufficient (375w) but my house wiring leaves something to be desired. Is there any way to test whether this is the problem? Maybe taking the machine to a different location to see if the problem persists?

I'm running Windows 98 but I doubt corrupted files are the problem, since these things have persisted over several installations.

How do I determine whether there's a problem with the Via "shitset" (lol) and the SB?

mp

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Do you run your computer with a UPS with power comditioner? This time of year, may power companys are not producing a consistant power. Low voltage or high voltage could do as you describe and work a strain on the computer power supply.
Another possibility is HEAT. Have you checked that all your fans are running? IF you have a software that checks temps and fan speeds, look at them.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jeff68005 on 07/14/02 03:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

sacklinger

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2002
As said before, it could be heat, or the power supply.
check your temps, also is you PSU a brand name one? cos most cheap power supplys show the peak watts on its label so the real for a 350W PSU may be 200W or less, also they cant keep the voltage without fluctuations, and that may cause your system to freeze too.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
How do I determine whether there's a problem with the Via "shitset" (lol) and the SB?
Just take the SB Live! out and see if those problems continue. If the problems go away, you could try putting it back into a different PCI slot. Also make sure you have the latests VIA 4in1 drivers. Or you can throw the SB Live! in the garbage and get a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Hercules Game Theater XP.

My power supply is probably sufficient (375w) but my house wiring leaves something to be desired. Is there any way to test whether this is the problem?
If you have Anus Probe installed you could check to see if there are any great fluxuations in power. If you have 60amp power in your house, you should upgrade to at least 100. 150 would be better. Your problem could be old wiring in your house or wiring to your house. In that case it may be time to rewire or get yourself an APC back up. I think most models will not only prevent spikes, but dips as well. I have a feeling it may be the now infamous VIA/SB Live! problem, though. It still could be your power supply. If it's an el-cheapo brand I don't care how many watts it is. Good luck.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
How many sticks of memory do you have? Are they matched? Speed, type, brand, etc. I have a co-worker who says some Creative soundboards will not tolerate a third stick of memory well.
Just his comments when I mentioned your problem.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...