problem with ftp

I would like to download things via the ftp server and whenever I try the
computer does nothing. I have never used the ftp server and don't know if I
have to download something or what. Could someone please advise.

Thanks for your time and effort.
10 answers Last reply
More about problem

    Hi

    Are you trying to FTP via Internet Explorer or with a 3rd party program?
    Where are you trying to FTP to?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | I would like to download things via the ftp server and whenever I try the
    | computer does nothing. I have never used the ftp server and don't know if
    | have to download something or what. Could someone please advise.
    |
    | Thanks for your time and effort.

    Alright, I went to the photo newsgroup and there was a site that you could
    go to and see if you have duplicate photo's. The site was
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/ .
    I clicked on that and nothing happened.
    Is that what you wanted to know??? Please help. I did not think that was
    a photo newsgroup issue. Thanks for your time.

    > Hi
    >
    > Are you trying to FTP via Internet Explorer or with a 3rd party program?
    > Where are you trying to FTP to?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | I would like to download things via the ftp server and whenever I try
    the
    > | computer does nothing. I have never used the ftp server and don't know
    if
    > | have to download something or what. Could someone please advise.
    > |
    > | Thanks for your time and effort.

    Hi

    You're right - the link doesn't work. I tried a Copy & Paste into Internet
    Explorer, but then got an error message to say I hadn't got permission to
    access that site. I could however access it by using a 3rd party FTP
    program. I don't know why access was denied via IE, but you may like to
    install an FTP program - there is a free one here:

    http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm

    --

    | Alright, I went to the photo newsgroup and there was a site that you could
    | go to and see if you have duplicate photo's. The site was
    | ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/ .
    | I clicked on that and nothing happened.
    | Is that what you wanted to know??? Please help. I did not think that
    was
    | a photo newsgroup issue. Thanks for your time.
    |

    | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > Hi
    | >
    | > Are you trying to FTP via Internet Explorer or with a 3rd party program?
    | > Where are you trying to FTP to?
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Will Denny
    | > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    | > Please reply to the News Groups
    | >

    | > "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > | I would like to download things via the ftp server and whenever I try
    | the
    | > | computer does nothing. I have never used the ftp server and don't
    know
    | if
    | > | have to download something or what. Could someone please advise.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks for your time and effort.
    | > |
    | > |

    will and flo,

    i was able to open the link and it does work from my end using ie. don't
    know it doesn't work with you. however, at the office, i cannot access ftp
    sites where i can usually at home. must be isp blocking ftp sites when
    using a browser.

    --
    Regards,
    Dennis Lazo

    the email address from where this message has been sent from is unmonitored.
    your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
    http://dennislazo.com/email/.
    information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
    rights.

    > Hi
    >
    > You're right - the link doesn't work. I tried a Copy & Paste into
    Internet
    > Explorer, but then got an error message to say I hadn't got permission to
    > access that site. I could however access it by using a 3rd party FTP
    > program. I don't know why access was denied via IE, but you may like to
    > install an FTP program - there is a free one here:
    >
    > http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | Alright, I went to the photo newsgroup and there was a site that you
    could
    > | go to and see if you have duplicate photo's. The site was
    > | ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/ .
    > | I clicked on that and nothing happened.
    > | Is that what you wanted to know??? Please help. I did not think that
    > was
    > | a photo newsgroup issue. Thanks for your time.
    > |

    > | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > | > Hi
    > | >
    > | > Are you trying to FTP via Internet Explorer or with a 3rd party
    program?
    > | > Where are you trying to FTP to?
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | >
    > | > Will Denny
    > | > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > | > Please reply to the News Groups
    > | >

    > | > "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | the
    > know
    > | if
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    Hi Dennis

    I've just managed to get through by clicking on the link using IE. I don't
    why it wouldn't work earlier.

    --

    "DennisLazo.com" <email@dennislazo.com> wrote in message
    | will and flo,
    |
    | i was able to open the link and it does work from my end using ie. don't
    | know it doesn't work with you. however, at the office, i cannot access
    ftp
    | sites where i can usually at home. must be isp blocking ftp sites when
    | using a browser.
    |
    | --
    | Regards,
    | Dennis Lazo
    |
    | the email address from where this message has been sent from is
    unmonitored.
    | your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
    | http://dennislazo.com/email/.
    | information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
    | rights.
    |

    | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > Hi
    | >
    | > You're right - the link doesn't work. I tried a Copy & Paste into
    | Internet
    | > Explorer, but then got an error message to say I hadn't got permission
    | > access that site. I could however access it by using a 3rd party FTP
    | > program. I don't know why access was denied via IE, but you may like to
    | > install an FTP program - there is a free one here:
    | >
    | > http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Will Denny
    | > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    | > Please reply to the News Groups
    | >

    | > "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > | Alright, I went to the photo newsgroup and there was a site that you
    | could
    | > | go to and see if you have duplicate photo's. The site was
    | > | ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/
    ..
    | > | I clicked on that and nothing happened.
    | > | Is that what you wanted to know??? Please help. I did not think that
    | > was
    | > | a photo newsgroup issue. Thanks for your time.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    | program?

    | try
    | > | the
    | > know
    | > | if
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    I just thought it would be 1 or 2 files in there. Wow!!!
    I don't know what to do with all those files or even which one to look for.
    I got there with the free download that Will Denny suggested and also went
    in by copying and pasting into IE .
    I clicked on Windiff.exe and a pop up screen tell me IE cannot download
    WINDIFF.exe from ftp.microsoft.com. The connection with the server was
    reset.

    Help me please.

    Tried again and a pop up screen comes up that says it was unable to load
    because it was missing GUtils.dll.

    > Hi Dennis
    >
    > I've just managed to get through by clicking on the link using IE. I
    don't
    > why it wouldn't work earlier.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "DennisLazo.com" <email@dennislazo.com> wrote in message
    > | will and flo,
    > |
    > | i was able to open the link and it does work from my end using ie.
    don't
    > | know it doesn't work with you. however, at the office, i cannot access
    > ftp
    > | sites where i can usually at home. must be isp blocking ftp sites when
    > | using a browser.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Regards,
    > | Dennis Lazo
    > |
    > | the email address from where this message has been sent from is
    > unmonitored.
    > | your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
    > | http://dennislazo.com/email/.
    > | information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
    > | rights.
    > |

    > | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > | > Hi
    > | >
    > | > You're right - the link doesn't work. I tried a Copy & Paste into
    > | Internet
    > | > Explorer, but then got an error message to say I hadn't got permission
    > | > access that site. I could however access it by using a 3rd party FTP
    > | > program. I don't know why access was denied via IE, but you may like
    > | > install an FTP program - there is a free one here:
    > | >
    > | > http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | >
    > | > Will Denny
    > | > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > | > Please reply to the News Groups
    > | >

    > | > "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | could
    > | > |
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/
    > .
    > | > was
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | program?

    > | try
    > | > know
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |

    Hi

    I've just downloaded windiff.exe without any problems using IE. How did you
    try & download it - right click>Copy to folder...?

    --

    | I just thought it would be 1 or 2 files in there. Wow!!!
    | I don't know what to do with all those files or even which one to look
    for.
    | I got there with the free download that Will Denny suggested and also went
    | in by copying and pasting into IE .
    | I clicked on Windiff.exe and a pop up screen tell me IE cannot download
    | WINDIFF.exe from ftp.microsoft.com. The connection with the server was
    | reset.
    |
    | Help me please.
    |
    | Tried again and a pop up screen comes up that says it was unable to load
    | because it was missing GUtils.dll.
    |
    | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > Hi Dennis
    | >
    | > I've just managed to get through by clicking on the link using IE. I
    | don't
    | > why it wouldn't work earlier.
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Will Denny
    | > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    | > Please reply to the News Groups
    | >

    | > "DennisLazo.com" <email@dennislazo.com> wrote in message
    | > | will and flo,
    | > |
    | > | i was able to open the link and it does work from my end using ie.
    | don't
    | > | know it doesn't work with you. however, at the office, i cannot
    access
    | > ftp
    | > | sites where i can usually at home. must be isp blocking ftp sites
    when
    | > | using a browser.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Regards,
    | > | Dennis Lazo
    | > |
    | > | the email address from where this message has been sent from is
    | > unmonitored.
    | > | your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
    | > | http://dennislazo.com/email/.
    | > | information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers
    no
    | > | rights.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    | > | Internet
    FTP

    | > | could
    | ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/
    | > .
    | that
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > | program?

    | > | try
    | don't
    | advise.
    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |

    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Works for me, though I can no longer access the parent directory.

    http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/index.html
    "DennisLazo.com" <email@dennislazo.com> wrote in message news:%23MI4Y%239SEHA.3768@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > will and flo,
    >
    > i was able to open the link and it does work from my end using ie. don't
    > know it doesn't work with you. however, at the office, i cannot access ftp
    > sites where i can usually at home. must be isp blocking ftp sites when
    > using a browser.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Dennis Lazo
    >
    > the email address from where this message has been sent from is unmonitored.
    > your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
    > http://dennislazo.com/email/.
    > information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
    > rights.

    > > Hi
    > >
    > > You're right - the link doesn't work. I tried a Copy & Paste into
    > Internet
    > > Explorer, but then got an error message to say I hadn't got permission to
    > > access that site. I could however access it by using a 3rd party FTP
    > > program. I don't know why access was denied via IE, but you may like to
    > > install an FTP program - there is a free one here:
    > >
    > > http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Will Denny
    > > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the News Groups
    > >

    > > "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > | Alright, I went to the photo newsgroup and there was a site that you
    > could
    > > | go to and see if you have duplicate photo's. The site was
    > > | ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/ .
    > > | I clicked on that and nothing happened.
    > > | Is that what you wanted to know??? Please help. I did not think that
    > > was
    > > | a photo newsgroup issue. Thanks for your time.
    > > |

    > > | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    > program?

    > try
    > > | the
    > > know
    > > | if
    > > | > |
    > > | > |
    > > | > |

    You have to download gutils as well. Maybe you also want the help file windiff.hlp. These files are also on the the Windows 98 CDRom at CD\tools\reskit\file.

    "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eN8jod%23SEHA.1368@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > I just thought it would be 1 or 2 files in there. Wow!!!
    > I don't know what to do with all those files or even which one to look for.
    > I got there with the free download that Will Denny suggested and also went
    > in by copying and pasting into IE .
    > I clicked on Windiff.exe and a pop up screen tell me IE cannot download
    > WINDIFF.exe from ftp.microsoft.com. The connection with the server was
    > reset.
    >
    > Help me please.
    >
    > Tried again and a pop up screen comes up that says it was unable to load
    > because it was missing GUtils.dll.

    > > Hi Dennis
    > >
    > > I've just managed to get through by clicking on the link using IE. I
    > don't
    > > why it wouldn't work earlier.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Will Denny
    > > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the News Groups
    > >

    > > "DennisLazo.com" <email@dennislazo.com> wrote in message
    > > | will and flo,
    > > |
    > > | i was able to open the link and it does work from my end using ie.
    > don't
    > > | know it doesn't work with you. however, at the office, i cannot access
    > > ftp
    > > | sites where i can usually at home. must be isp blocking ftp sites when
    > > | using a browser.
    > > |
    > > | --
    > > | Regards,
    > > | Dennis Lazo
    > > |
    > > | the email address from where this message has been sent from is
    > > unmonitored.
    > > | your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
    > > | http://dennislazo.com/email/.
    > > | information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
    > > | rights.
    > > |

    > > | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    > > | Internet

    > > | could
    > > | > |
    > ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/
    > > .
    > that
    > > | > |
    > > | > |

    > > | program?

    > > | try
    > don't
    > advise.
    > > | > | > |
    > > | > | > |
    > > | > | > |

    > > | > |
    > > | > |

    I don't have a windows 98 CDRom. I am using windows xp. Maybe I should just
    forget the whole thing.

Download FTP Servers Windows XP