Transferring Files

I've moved to a new computer and want to transfer my
previous files and settings for Outlook Express and
Internet Explorer. I can't find where the previous files
are on my old computer. Can someone help please?
4 answers Last reply
More about transferring files

    "Snark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've moved to a new computer and want to transfer my
    > previous files and settings for Outlook Express and
    > Internet Explorer. I can't find where the previous files
    > are on my old computer. Can someone help please?

    You can import your Inbox and other folders by going clicking on File, then
    Import. You can find out the location of those files by clicking on your
    Inbox in your folders list, then click on File, Properties. Put your mouse
    over the begining of the file path, hold your left click down and drag to
    the right to see the complete path. The path will be something like:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Identities\{D0C111C3-B45B-475F-AF2D-8DDBA01BBCEB}\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express\. If you haven't already done so, you may have to enable your My
    Computer Explorer to show hidden files and folders. To do this open up My
    Computer and click on Tools, Folder Options, View and then enable Show
    Hidden Files and Folders.

    Your address book should be located at C:\Documents and
    Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

    You can copy the contents of your Favorites for IE to your new computer.
    You will find your Favorites at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>

    If you need to import anything else, repost.

    Good Luck

    "austinpctech" <spamcop@austin.rrDOTcom> wrote in message
    > "Snark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've moved to a new computer and want to transfer my
    > > previous files and settings for Outlook Express and
    > > Internet Explorer. I can't find where the previous files
    > > are on my old computer. Can someone help please?
    >
    > You can import your Inbox and other folders by going clicking on File,
    then
    > Import. You can find out the location of those files by clicking on your
    > Inbox in your folders list, then click on File, Properties. Put your
    mouse
    > over the begining of the file path, hold your left click down and drag to
    > the right to see the complete path. The path will be something like:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application
    > Data\Identities\{D0C111C3-B45B-475F-AF2D-8DDBA01BBCEB}\Microsoft\Outlook
    > Express\. If you haven't already done so, you may have to enable your My
    > Computer Explorer to show hidden files and folders. To do this open up My
    > Computer and click on Tools, Folder Options, View and then enable Show
    > Hidden Files and Folders.
    >
    > Your address book should be located at C:\Documents and
    > Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
    >
    > You can copy the contents of your Favorites for IE to your new computer.
    > You will find your Favorites at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>
    >
    > If you need to import anything else, repost.
    >
    > Good Luck

    You know I keep forgetting that Windows also offers a utility to transfer
    files and settings. Simply pop in your Windows CD and choose Perform
    Additional Tasks, then Transfer files and settings.

    Snark wrote:
    > I've moved to a new computer and want to transfer my
    > previous files and settings for Outlook Express and
    > Internet Explorer. I can't find where the previous files
    > are on my old computer. Can someone help please?

    Take a look at these pages for all information required. The page starts
    out with a link to a (free) program that will do this automatically for
    you.
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    Hi, Snark.

    > I can't find where the previous files
    > are on my old computer.

    For Outlook Express, it's very easy: Tools | Options..., Maintenance tab,
    Store Folder.

    For Internet Explorer, it's just about as easy: Tools | Internet
    Options..., first (General) tab, Temporary Internet Files, Settings...
    Under Temporary Internet files folder is the complete path to your TIFs.

    But don't try to just copy all these files to your new computer, because
    that won't create the Registry entries that you need to be able to use the
    data in the files. Use the tools that the others have mentioned to make the
    transfers.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Snark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've moved to a new computer and want to transfer my
    > previous files and settings for Outlook Express and
    > Internet Explorer. I can't find where the previous files
    > are on my old computer. Can someone help please?

Internet Explorer Outlook Express Computers Windows XP