I've moved to a new computer and want to transfer my
previous files and settings for Outlook Express and
Internet Explorer. I can't find where the previous files
are on my old computer. Can someone help please?

"Snark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've moved to a new computer and want to transfer my
> previous files and settings for Outlook Express and
> Internet Explorer. I can't find where the previous files
> are on my old computer. Can someone help please?

You can import your Inbox and other folders by going clicking on File, then
Import. You can find out the location of those files by clicking on your
Inbox in your folders list, then click on File, Properties. Put your mouse
over the begining of the file path, hold your left click down and drag to
the right to see the complete path. The path will be something like:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{D0C111C3-B45B-475F-AF2D-8DDBA01BBCEB}\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\. If you haven't already done so, you may have to enable your My
Computer Explorer to show hidden files and folders. To do this open up My
Computer and click on Tools, Folder Options, View and then enable Show
Hidden Files and Folders.

Your address book should be located at C:\Documents and
Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

You can copy the contents of your Favorites for IE to your new computer.
You will find your Favorites at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>

If you need to import anything else, repost.

Good Luck

"austinpctech" <spamcop@austin.rrDOTcom> wrote in message
> "Snark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've moved to a new computer and want to transfer my
> > previous files and settings for Outlook Express and
> > Internet Explorer. I can't find where the previous files
> > are on my old computer. Can someone help please?
>
> You can import your Inbox and other folders by going clicking on File,
then
> Import. You can find out the location of those files by clicking on your
> Inbox in your folders list, then click on File, Properties. Put your
mouse
> over the begining of the file path, hold your left click down and drag to
> the right to see the complete path. The path will be something like:
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application
> Data\Identities\{D0C111C3-B45B-475F-AF2D-8DDBA01BBCEB}\Microsoft\Outlook
> Express\. If you haven't already done so, you may have to enable your My
> Computer Explorer to show hidden files and folders. To do this open up My
> Computer and click on Tools, Folder Options, View and then enable Show
> Hidden Files and Folders.
>
> Your address book should be located at C:\Documents and
> Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
>
> You can copy the contents of your Favorites for IE to your new computer.
> You will find your Favorites at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>
>
> If you need to import anything else, repost.
>
> Good Luck

You know I keep forgetting that Windows also offers a utility to transfer
files and settings. Simply pop in your Windows CD and choose Perform
Additional Tasks, then Transfer files and settings.

Snark wrote:
> I've moved to a new computer and want to transfer my
> previous files and settings for Outlook Express and
> Internet Explorer. I can't find where the previous files
> are on my old computer. Can someone help please?

Take a look at these pages for all information required. The page starts
out with a link to a (free) program that will do this automatically for
you.
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Hi, Snark.

> I can't find where the previous files
> are on my old computer.

For Outlook Express, it's very easy: Tools | Options..., Maintenance tab,
Store Folder.

For Internet Explorer, it's just about as easy: Tools | Internet
Options..., first (General) tab, Temporary Internet Files, Settings...
Under Temporary Internet files folder is the complete path to your TIFs.

But don't try to just copy all these files to your new computer, because
that won't create the Registry entries that you need to be able to use the
data in the files. Use the tools that the others have mentioned to make the
transfers.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA